General San Francisco to Portland in August/September

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
About 90% gonna make this trip.
Which of you live along the way? I've never been to that area of the country for any appreciable time.

Gonna rent a car and fly in San Francisco and out Seattle, unless I should do it opposite for some reason.

French Laundry Reservations on the list of to do items. Go see some national forest. Wine. Smell some hippies in Portland. What else am I doing?

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
About 90% gonna make this trip.
Which of you live along the way? I've never been to that area of the country for any appreciable time.

Gonna rent a car and fly in San Francisco and out Seattle, unless I should do it opposite for some reason.

French Laundry Reservations on the list of to do items. Go see some national forest. Wine. Smell some hippies in Portland. What else am I doing?
take the 101 up from Frisco to Tillamook, then cut over to PDX and go up I5 to seattle. In PDX, eat at Le Pigeon. No bullshit.

nothing to see on the WA part of 101.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
Do some Orca watching off Anacortes while you're up Seattle way.

Freeloading Rusty

Here comes Rover, sniffin’ at your ass
Jan 11, 2016
What a beautiful group is islands down that way. The whole inside passage w/ Vancouver Island is a must see.

We are looking at buying a cabin on an island within boating distance from there... on the Canadian side of the border of course.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
Haystack Rock on Cannon Beach and Klamath Falls are your "Must Get" IG spots.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
What a beautiful group is islands down that way. The whole inside passage w/ Vancouver Island is a must see.

We are looking at buying a cabin on an island within boating distance from there... on the Canadian side of the border of course.
if Canada isn't locked down, take the ferry to Vancouver Island and spend a night at Sooke Harbor House.

Freeloading Rusty

Here comes Rover, sniffin’ at your ass
Jan 11, 2016
if Canada isn't locked down, take the ferry to Vancouver Island and spend a night at Sooke Harbor House.
We are on lock down... but once that ends, Ill check out the Harbor House.

I havent spent much time in Sooke but I have been to the potholes, which were amazing.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
We are on lock down... but once that ends, Ill check out the Harbor House.

I havent spent much time in Sooke but I have been to the potholes, which were amazing.
they have a big garden and everything they serve is grown on the property or caught in the harbor.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
I would ride the Cali/Oregon/Wash Coast...Pacific Coast Highway(PCH)

not much reason to go inland unless you have already experienced the Pacific Ocean, it's vast sunsets, and it's beauty

PCH becomes US Highway 101 as you get in northern Cali

No reason to drive up I-5 man...trust me, unless you are gonna go into the mountains or desert spots then don't go inland

Although if you want a lil adventure I would look into Crater Lake, a good inland Destination
Certainly a gem of the US, and It actually looks like this in person most of the time

1619329607233.png
1619329683895.png
1619329818399.png

I know the Mt Shasta area also, amazing valley...dry and rugged.

Depends upon how much time you have to spend there are a lot of great inland juts off of 101 or I-5 to have some fun...If you just wanna do the coast then stay on the coast

West Coast has some major targets...do your research

If you are early enough you likely avoid any fires and smoke

Last edited:

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
take the 101 up from Frisco to Tillamook, then cut over to PDX and go up I5 to seattle. In PDX, eat at Le Pigeon. No bullshit.

nothing to see on the WA part of 101.
PDX is where the trip starts to end unless he only wants to see big cities and shitloads of people

Jesus X

4 drink minimum.
Sep 7, 2015
french laundry the finer things. napa has the great scenery I would live there if my income was 400 percent more than it is right now..

Jesus X

4 drink minimum.
Sep 7, 2015
Washington has orcas island too you can take a pretty cheap boat there. sometimes the orcas come all the way down to long beach,ca or san pedro,ca but I never saw one in the wild just heard of people seeing them here.

rmenergy

Posting Machine
Mar 27, 2021
If hwy1 was still open I’d recommend SLO to Santa Cruz WAY before SF to Seattle.

Napa/Sonoma is nice, as well as Mendocino/Ft. Bragg. Oregon Central Coast is nice but it’s not CA central coast by a damn site.

I’ll let others recommend stops for this trip. If you’re ever interested in SLO, hit me up. I lived in Morro Bay & Paso Robles for nearly 20yrs & still visit regularly.

rmenergy

Posting Machine
Mar 27, 2021
Moved there for college in the 90’s. Owned a house in north MB until ‘14. Bought a Victorian on Vine St. in Paso but work forced me to move up to Sacramento in ‘16.

I would gut someone while looking them in the eyes to be able to relocate my family back down there now.

rmenergy

Posting Machine
Mar 27, 2021
Dunno. There's the carpark down by the bay with the old submarine, then when you walk across the front towards the galley (great restaurant) I'd always see him in full costume doing weird pirate shit. I don't think he worked for a specific restaurant, I saw him all over town just being a pirate.
My old mechanic used to walk around town with his parrot ? lol