General San Francisco to Portland in August/September

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

rmenergy

Posting Machine
Mar 27, 2021
Dunno. There's the carpark down by the bay with the old submarine, then when you walk across the front towards the galley (great restaurant) I'd always see him in full costume doing weird pirate shit. I don't think he worked for a specific restaurant, I saw him all over town just being a pirate.
The HS mascot would also stay in costume after games btw ;)

rmenergy

Posting Machine
Mar 27, 2021
He wasn't a mascot. He was in full costume like the bad guy from pirates of the caribbean. Just going around shouting pirate stuff and taking photos.
Never knew anyone to do that other than post HS sporting events. It wasn’t uncommon to see multiple pirates after football games or wrestling tournaments, especially near pizza port, main & mb Blvd area

Shinkicker

For what it's worth
Jan 30, 2016
About 90% gonna make this trip.
Which of you live along the way? I've never been to that area of the country for any appreciable time.

Gonna rent a car and fly in San Francisco and out Seattle, unless I should do it opposite for some reason.

French Laundry Reservations on the list of to do items. Go see some national forest. Wine. Smell some hippies in Portland. What else am I doing?
How long are you going to be in San Francisco?

Haight and Ashbury (Hippie town)
Fisherman's Wharf
Or Pier 39
Moroccan restaurant with belly dancers in San Francisco , best food ever.
Golden Gate Bridge, you can see Alcatraz from there. If you're interested in visiting Alcatraz book it now.
Sausalito
Then on to napa valley

You can drive through Muir Woods to hwy 1 and drive along the coast if you aren't in any hurry. Or you can cross over to hwy 1 further north to Mendocino, beautiful forest, and see fort Bragg.

Stop in Eugene, OR. They are the nicest people in the world. And I haven't been (yet) but I hear they have hippie market every Saturday.

I haven't been any further north than that.

Shinkicker

For what it's worth
Jan 30, 2016
If hwy1 was still open I’d recommend SLO to Santa Cruz WAY before SF to Seattle.

Napa/Sonoma is nice, as well as Mendocino/Ft. Bragg. Oregon Central Coast is nice but it’s not CA central coast by a damn site.

I’ll let others recommend stops for this trip. If you’re ever interested in SLO, hit me up. I lived in Morro Bay & Paso Robles for nearly 20yrs & still visit regularly.
I'm headed to SLO and Pismo next weekend :)

Poiupoiu

50 cents per post
Oct 26, 2015
If you go to San Fran go to Mr bings bar and get me a souvenir. For real, I'll send you the money or whatever.
i had to google it. i lived , worked, and drank in that area for 15 years (89-04), never heard of it

Wintermute

Putin is gay
Apr 24, 2015
Just most of santa Cruz on highway 1 are some of the coolest beaches I've ever seen- the coastline there has close you can climb down to small nearly private beaches. I'll post some pics shortly. Highly recommend those. Bodega bay north of there has some awesome ones. Tomales bay and point reyes is actually where you can see the San andreas fault go off into the ocean.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
Washington has orcas island too you can take a pretty cheap boat there. sometimes the orcas come all the way down to long beach,ca or san pedro,ca but I never saw one in the wild just heard of people seeing them here.
that's where my wife took me, then we caught the ferry at Anacortes (IIRC)

EDIT - wife took us to Anacortes, but we missed the ferry and had to haul ass up to Port Angeles to catch a boat...we had a bungalow on San Juan Islands and stayed a couple days...that's where we launched for the Orca Islands tour. We saw a 'SuperPod' of J/K pods swimming with a new calf. life-changing.

We did it on a GroupOn, but Splinty @Splinty has baller stax. The weird thing is that when the weather is shittiest, early in the season when you get good deals, is also the time when the orcas are most present.

Last edited:

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
I would ride the Cali/Oregon/Wash Coast...Pacific Coast Highway(PCH)

not much reason to go inland unless you have already experienced the Pacific Ocean, it's vast sunsets, and it's beauty

PCH becomes US Highway 101 as you get in northern Cali

No reason to drive up I-5 man...trust me, unless you are gonna go into the mountains or desert spots then don't go inland

Although if you want a lil adventure I would look into Crater Lake, a good inland Destination
Certainly a gem of the US, and It actually looks like this in person most of the time
there's nothing on 101 between Astoria and Seattle but trees on both sides of the road. better to cut over at Tillamook and go up from PDX. Crater Lake is amazing, but if you don't live on the coast that drive up 101 is a must. 17 Mile Drive is legit, but I think it's south of Frisco

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
there's nothing on 101 between Astoria and Seattle but trees on both sides of the road. better to cut over at Tillamook and go up from PDX. Crater Lake is amazing, but if you don't live on the coast that drive up 101 is a must. 17 Mile Drive is legit, but I think it's south of Frisco
Good point, you lose the awesome view of the Pacific O past Astoria.
Tillamook is the stinkiest city in the world, all them dairy cows.

I would hit crater lake if possible and also do the oregon coast.

Clear Lake/Sahalie Falls/Bend might also be a nice jut inland.
Clear lake...do the 5 mile hike around and rent a boat or paddle boards to paddle on and see the sunken forest
Sahalie Falls has nice trails and is right off the road
They might like Bend, that is where the Rich people move to...stay a night somewhere fancy and maybe even hike at smith rock

Really depends upon how much time they are spending.

I only know the great outdoor spots in the state, can't speak to fine dining or PDX area obviously
Stop in Eugene, OR. They are the nicest people in the world. And I haven't been (yet) but I hear they have hippie market every Saturday.
That market is great, I love the local produce in the Farmer's market section
The Hippy part is running at about 25% capacity and food is take out only...Covid stuff

Top of your list should be throat punching Gaybo.
haha yes

Last edited:

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
Made it on the last ferry, which was a nice sunset cruise to San Juan Island
P1010279.JPG

Stayed in a nice BnB/Condo place
P1010318.JPG
room with a view
P1010326.JPG

obviously my shitty handheld cam didn't do the proximity justice.
P1010397.JPG

took a drive up to a scenic overlook for sunset, took a ferry to Victoria the next day
P1010460.JPG

It's definitely a Highlight side-trip if you're going to be up by Seattle anyway.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
gotta get some chowder at Fog Harbor House on the wharf in Frisco and get some chowder at Pike Place Chowder in Seattle.

compare, contrast, report your findings.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
You should go to Castro and look at the puffs. For real it's a strange place. My dad took me there and diddnt mention it. He wanted to see how long it took for me to click on where we were. The penny dropped when I walked past a shop window and the mannequin had a gimp mask on with a dildo on its forehead. Ha
do they still do the live sex shows at O'Farrell Theatre?

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
Dunno. It was just a practical joke by my dad. He wanted to see how long it took me to notice then we bounced
probably worried you'd go full puffer if you stayed any longer.

your dad sounds like a wise man.

rmenergy

Posting Machine
Mar 27, 2021
I'm headed to SLO and Pismo next weekend :)
Awesome. Pismo usually isn’t my jam but there’s a few cool spots down there. If you’re down for getting off the beaten(tourist) path let me know. One of the best state parks is a short drive away, plenty of hiking, downhill mountain biking, cool little eateries, elephant seals, surf spots, etc. Most everything that I’m referencing is north of pismo beginning in Los Osos (or SLO & Atascadero for hiking/mountain biking).

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Thanks everyone!
I think I'm gonna just do San Francisco to Portland to not spread too thin. Gonna take a week off so 9-10 days total. Spend weekends on either end and make the trip between the two over the week.

Potential route

Gives pacific coast, redwoods, wine, crater lake, Eugene, and San Francisco and Portland on either end.

Will probably just go to napa for an afternoon and dinner. Other than the dining experience, can get the wine fix along the rest of the route.

rmenergy

Posting Machine
Mar 27, 2021
Thanks everyone!
I think I'm gonna just do San Francisco to Portland to not spread too thin. Gonna take a week off so 9-10 days total. Spend weekends on either end and make the trip between the two over the week.

Potential route

Gives pacific coast, redwoods, wine, crater lake, Eugene, and San Francisco and Portland on either end.

Will probably just go to napa for an afternoon and dinner. Other than the dining experience, can get the wine fix along the rest of the route.
Why are you going inland & skipping the Oregon Coast? If you enjoy cities then you're making the right call. I detest cities and lots of people so would obviously take the coastal route.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Thanks everyone!

Potential route

Great route mostly
After Eugene I would go to the coast via 126(60 minutes) and creep up 101 and then cut back to PDX...That portion of the Oregon Coast is excellent as the road can often be elevated 1000 feet above the ocean or right on the sparsely populated stretches coastline and coastal forest...Lots of nice lodging and dining on the coast(resort style rooms with views and/or cool bed and breakfast spots like Heceta Head Lighthouse B&B etc...)

The drive up I-5 from Eugene to PDX is very boring...Salem is average and from Salem to Portland it is just traffic and concrete.

Time permitting of course.

Last edited:

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Why are you going inland & skipping the Oregon Coast? If you enjoy cities then you're making the right call. I detest cities and lots of people so would obviously take the coastal route.
Because hippie ass Eugene gave me something to point at on google maps and mix up the trip going over to crater lake

I could do the coast more...

Or even all the way...

Just skip Eugene and Crater lake?

Shinkicker

For what it's worth
Jan 30, 2016
Awesome. Pismo usually isn’t my jam but there’s a few cool spots down there. If you’re down for getting off the beaten(tourist) path let me know. One of the best state parks is a short drive away, plenty of hiking, downhill mountain biking, cool little eateries, elephant seals, surf spots, etc. Most everything that I’m referencing is north of pismo beginning in Los Osos (or SLO & Atascadero for hiking/mountain biking).
Beach, shopping and bars.