General San Francisco to Portland in August/September

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

MMAHAWK

Real Gs come from California.America Muthafucker
Feb 5, 2015
About 90% gonna make this trip.
Which of you live along the way? I've never been to that area of the country for any appreciable time.

Gonna rent a car and fly in San Francisco and out Seattle, unless I should do it opposite for some reason.

French Laundry Reservations on the list of to do items. Go see some national forest. Wine. Smell some hippies in Portland. What else am I doing?

About that time to make the Democrat Hajj to liberal Mecca after voting for Biden.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Because hippie ass Eugene gave me something to point at on google maps and mix up the trip going over to crater lake

I could do the coast more...

Or even all the way...

Just skip Eugene and Crater lake?
Crater lake is legit

1619408171082.png

Eugene is a central point for a lot of locations and a low point with 2 rivers...60 miles from mountains and mountain lakes and 60 miles from the Ocean, and 10 minutes from the forest...not a real destination spot IMO...The Coast and the High Elevation lakes and peaks are the stars...Eugene is a not a real destination city IMO right now...there are a couple higher end hotels to spend an evening in and good dining

Last edited:

rmenergy

Posting Machine
Mar 27, 2021
Because hippie ass Eugene gave me something to point at on google maps and mix up the trip going over to crater lake

Or even all the way...

If you wanted to check out Eugene, I'd hop over to I5 anywhere around Eureka, time & weather permitting. I'd then head back to the coast(Florence) after leaving Eugene. Plenty of things to check out all the way up to Astoria(Goonies!!!).

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Leaning towards this:

Crater lake makes a 1.5 hour detour. If I skip it, we get to stay along the pacific coast until we cut over to hippie ville
That path hits the least interesting parts of the Oregon Coast(still epic views) and skips the best of it both cities and coastline

If you run the coast don't come inland at Eugene, unless you really wanna see it...you can find excellent lodging(reservation) and views all the way up the coast to near portland...weather will be cool and comfy and with clean air

Great trip either of the 3 ways...I like crater lake to florence on paper, but the coast run is legit all the way up

FYI Do not join a Cult in OR

Last edited:

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016

Or even all the way...

just book down I5 from PDX on your way back and spend the day at Crater Lake.

the inland drive beautiful, but the coast is incomparable. There's also lots of cool places to stop and check out up the coast, Oregon Air Musuem, Tillamook Cheese Factory, antique shops...just nice places to get out and stretch your legs.

But in PDX, Le Pigeon.

Le Pigeon
Le Pigeon
Le Pigeon

beef cheeks.

Wintermute

Putin is gay
Apr 24, 2015
you definitely have the better beef cheeks, but at Le Pigeon it's relatively affordable.
Are we both in Portland?

Side note: Le Pigeon's sister restaurant Canard has the most incredible steam burgers ever. And a super-loud gay club upstairs.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
Are we both in Portland?

Side note: Le Pigeon's sister restaurant Canard has the most incredible steam burgers ever. And a super-loud gay club upstairs.
lived there for 11 yrs, moved to PHX in 16. I used to get up there 6+ times a year for work, but in Jan I went in to business for myself.

is Little Bird still open? That was the lunch spot they had...Gabe is such a superkewl guy, just a big-heart that expresses itself through food.

Splinty @Splinty - if in PDX you MUST go to the Japanese Gardens. No joke. plan on spending half a day there, just soaking it in. And this (Aug/Sep) is a phenomenal time of year to go. I took my wife up there for our anniversary at the end of August - perfect.

Wintermute

Putin is gay
Apr 24, 2015
lived there for 11 yrs, moved to PHX in 16. I used to get up there 6+ times a year for work, but in Jan I went in to business for myself.

is Little Bird still open? That was the lunch spot they had...Gabe is such a superkewl guy, just a big-heart that expresses itself through food.

Splinty @Splinty - if in PDX you MUST go to the Japanese Gardens. No joke. plan on spending half a day there, just soaking it in. And this (Aug/Sep) is a phenomenal time of year to go. I took my wife up there for our anniversary at the end of August - perfect.
I'm a member of the Japanese Gardens LOL.

Little Bird closed before the Pandemic, I believe. I went once. That area of downtown is a no-man's land. Completely overrun with drugs and homeless. Looks like Old Detroit from the RoboCop movies.

RaginCajun

The Reigning Undisputed Monsters Tournament Champ
Oct 25, 2015

Little Bird closed before the Pandemic, I believe. I went once. That area of downtown is a no-man's land. Completely overrun with drugs and homeless. Looks like Old Detroit from the RoboCop movies.
How are the Japanese gardens? Worth the cost?

Wintermute

Putin is gay
Apr 24, 2015
How are the Japanese gardens? Worth the cost?
I enjoy them- I enjoy Japanese culture, so that helps, and I like to support those kinds of orgs. They have a lot of traveling shows and lectures and you get early access with the membership. If you haven't been, I recommend it, especially during cherry blossoms or in the fall.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016

last time I spoke with Gabe he said he was really looking forward to opening a wine place, I think it was Canard.

wasn't Little Bird right off of Burnside, down by Dantes and Powell Books?

OH SHIT- I forgot about Sex Worker Appreciate Night at Dante's...that's a must if they still do it...

Voodoo Donuts is overrated, best Donuts in PDX are at Donut Day in Aloha.

Shinkicker

For what it's worth
Jan 30, 2016
Splinty @Splinty

I changed my mind. I think you should skip Eugene and keep north on 101 to Depoe Bay to see if there is any whale action. Then head east to McMinnville and stay at Youngberg Hill.

And take a hot air balloon ride over wine country.

Send your wife to the spa and head over to Evergreen Aviation & Space Museum. They have flight simulators landing the space shuttle and space docking, etc.

Then your only 90 minutes or so from Portland.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
Splinty @Splinty

I changed my mind. I think you should skip Eugene and keep north on 101 to Depoe Bay to see if there is any whale action. Then head east to McMinnville and stay at Youngberg Hill.

And take a hot air balloon ride over wine country.

Send your wife to the spa and head over to Evergreen Aviation & Space Museum. They have flight simulators landing the space shuttle and space docking, etc.

Then your only 90 minutes or so from Portland.
evergreen museum is closed for COVID, last I knew.