General San Francisco to Portland in August/September

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
The internet, which we know don't lie, says it opens at 10am tomorrow, Smarty Pants.
FYI Oregon is locking down again in many of the populated counties.
Cases Up...Death waay down.

I agree, skip Eugene and run the coast...not enough people on the coast to warrant restriction, so you can likely do indoor dining with all the freedoms.

If you can find a way to check Crater Lake then great, but do not hit the population centers of Oregon in 2021.

There isn't an outbreak here, but Governor is all so ready to Restrict.
Eugene will be hosting the Olympic Trials in June...but other than that time period expect the city to be restricted with tentative businesses

Last edited:

Wintermute

Putin is gay
Apr 24, 2015
FYI Oregon is locking down again in many of the populated counties.
Cases Up...Death waay down.

I agree, skip Eugene and run the coast...not enough people on the coast to warrant restriction, so you can likely do indoor dining with all the freedoms.

If you can find a way to check Crater Lake then great, but do not hit the population centers of Oregon in 2021.

There isn't an outbreak here, but Governor is all so ready to Restrict.
Eugene will be hosting the Olympic Trials in June...but other than that time period expect the city to be restricted with tentative businesses
Yeah, I believe it's kids getting covid with very mild symptoms, but since they can't get vaccinated and they weren't exposed last year, they're the only vectors left for the disease.

On paper it looks just as bad as the Nov spike, and that seems to be all these politicians care about.

mysticmac

First 1025
Oct 18, 2015
If COVID allows them to be open when you get to Portland:
  • I'd stay mostly around the Pearl District or hitting restaurants & breweries on the east side. I'd stay away from Pioneer Courthouse Square and the Chapman Square area. That's where most of the riot video I've seen seems to be focused.

• The Screen Door - Chicken & waffles, make reservations before you go.
  • Fire on the Mountain - Awesome wings.
  • Visit pretty much any of the food cart pods.
  • Por que no - Awesome tacos.
  • Apizza Scholls - Awesome pizza
  • If you are looking for something fancy, the Portland City Grill has great views of the city. Make a reservation and get a window seat. They had a decent happy hour as well, but I haven't been there in years.

• Rogue Brewery
  • Deschutes Brewery
  • Backwoods Brewery
  • Von Ebert Brewery
  • Gigantic Brewery
  • Stormbreaker Brewery - Outdoor seating and Mississippi Ave is a sort of trendy area which tends to mean a bunch of hotties walking around
  • Ecliptic Brewery - Outdoor seating with a nice view across the river toward the downtown area
  • Any of the McMenamins locations - get the stout
  • Pretty much any brewery

• For a nature walk, Washington Park is nice. There is a network of trails there. The Japanese Garden is nice. The Pittock Mansion is near there as well. I don't think it is worth paying to go inside, but there is a nice viewpoint of the city from there.
  • Head a little ways out of town and checkout Multnomah Falls. Hike up to the top for a nice view of the Gorge. Rather than taking I84 back, take the parallel Historic Columbia River Hwy until you get to Corbett which is where the hwy ends, then get back on I84 the rest of the way. There are a bunch of waterfalls along the way. Also along the way and on the Historic Hwy is the Crown Point Vista House. It's a nice way to spend a day.
  • If you decide to take the coast hwy rather than I5, consider stopping in Newport. Rogue's brewery and distillery are they. They house have a shop where they make their own barrels. I think they offer tours once a day. There is also a restaurant. Just over the bridge on the other side of that bay is a broadwalk with a bunch of goofy coastal shops. Near the eastern end of that broadwalk, there is a restaurant called Local Ocean. Everything they make is great. The crab po' boy is my go to.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
I'm staying a couple hours north of San Fran on CA-1.

if you want coastal scenery, you can't beat the drive north from Bodega Bay on CA-1.
don't be in a hurry.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
If COVID allows them to be open when you get to Portland:
  • I'd stay mostly around the Pearl District or hitting restaurants & breweries on the east side. I'd stay away from Pioneer Courthouse Square and the Chapman Square area. That's where most of the riot video I've seen seems to be focused.

• The Screen Door - Chicken & waffles, make reservations before you go.
  • Fire on the Mountain - Awesome wings.
  • Visit pretty much any of the food cart pods.
  • Por que no - Awesome tacos.
  • Apizza Scholls - Awesome pizza
  • If you are looking for something fancy, the Portland City Grill has great views of the city. Make a reservation and get a window seat. They had a decent happy hour as well, but I haven't been there in years.

• Rogue Brewery
  • Deschutes Brewery
  • Backwoods Brewery
  • Von Ebert Brewery
  • Gigantic Brewery
  • Stormbreaker Brewery - Outdoor seating and Mississippi Ave is a sort of trendy area which tends to mean a bunch of hotties walking around
  • Ecliptic Brewery - Outdoor seating with a nice view across the river toward the downtown area
  • Any of the McMenamins locations - get the stout
  • Pretty much any brewery

• For a nature walk, Washington Park is nice. There is a network of trails there. The Japanese Garden is nice. The Pittock Mansion is near there as well. I don't think it is worth paying to go inside, but there is a nice viewpoint of the city from there.
  • Head a little ways out of town and checkout Multnomah Falls. Hike up to the top for a nice view of the Gorge. Rather than taking I84 back, take the parallel Historic Columbia River Hwy until you get to Corbett which is where the hwy ends, then get back on I84 the rest of the way. There are a bunch of waterfalls along the way. Also along the way and on the Historic Hwy is the Crown Point Vista House. It's a nice way to spend a day.
  • If you decide to take the coast hwy rather than I5, consider stopping in Newport. Rogue's brewery and distillery are they. They house have a shop where they make their own barrels. I think they offer tours once a day. There is also a restaurant. Just over the bridge on the other side of that bay is a broadwalk with a bunch of goofy coastal shops. Near the eastern end of that broadwalk, there is a restaurant called Local Ocean. Everything they make is great. The crab po' boy is my go to.
Local Ocean is awesome!
I'll have to ask my wife if she remembers the name of the little seafood market we used to go to on the coast. I think it was in Seaside.
But it's legit fish market that just has two small tables inside and a deck.

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Splinty @Splinty

Why haven't you posted a journal of your trip with pictures?

And when are you returning home?
Because he knows I will glean information from the photos, then I will drive over to the coast and track him because I'm part Native American...and then when he least expects it I will pop out from the bushes and give him an unvaccinated hug and a really nice gift package.

He don't want that smoke.

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
haha
That looks a whole lot like a city very near me, I know the building with a hundred windows in the background.
Or else all west coast tent cities under freeways look the same...but I am pretty sure where you are, just a block from the needle exchange haha...I never get out of the car there, wtf you doing?...Those people are all on fentanyl n shit

1630711796439.jpeg

1630711701229.png
Great Skate Park
1630711794305.png
Pick up a chop chop bicycle maybe?
1630711865160.png

Honestly hope your not here long...Smoke clears tomorrow afternoon...I'm up on the hills north east of town and it is really bad air right now...You picked the worst air quality of the year so far to visit.

Get your ass to the Coast man!

Get to Soriah's and eat some calamari, unless you already have a nice dinner spot lined up...Marche' under your hotel is nice, great sushi place there on 5th street also Sushi Pure.

If your around in the morning check out the Farmer's market(starts at 9 or so, amazing local produce and meats, etc)...It is right on 5th street, probably right below your hotel if your staying in the nice hotels right there.

I might be there and I don't know what you look like so don't call me out if you don't want the hug, the flamenco guitar player is world class FYI.

Last edited:

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
I agree, and I'm sorry

Bossman picked the worst time to visit, air is horrible here right now...haven't had rain for months and we are getting rare winds from the east where the fires are(usually we get clean ocean air blowing from the west)...rain coming in two weeks and then it will be clean air across the whole state as the fires will be extinguished

Better get his ass to the coast or portland asap...Portland has bad air also right now but not as bad as his yesterday location
check this smoke map