VID Sara McMaan gets submitted by a 16 year old girl!

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

King of Life

Jan 28, 2015
No this is not a joke headline.

Olympic silver medalist Sara McMaan gets submitted by a 16 year old girl. It happened at the recent Kakuto Submission jiu-jitsu challenge event. You can view it on the video below.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNLxTsw3gx4

Once again this calls into question the calibre of Ronda Rousey's opposition,

As I was explaining to Narcosynthesis @Cerberus on another thread before he ran away again. You simply cannot compare a silver medal won at the first ever women's wrestling event at an Olympics in 2004 to the men's division. Men have been wrestling at the Olympics for over 100 years and have a substantially larger talent pool to choose from. The depth and talent between the sexes is night and day.

Can we ever imagine Olympians who didn't win a medal like Daniel Cormier or Ben Askren losing to 16 year old kids?

Even better we have a non Olympic wrestler Randy Couture who went up against BJJ legend Jacare. A guy who was a multiple world and ADCC champion.

View: http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTAyNjYwODUy.html

Yet Randy was able to hold his own and avoid getting submitted to earn a draw against someone who is absolutely world class in submission grappling. Yet a professional UFC fighter and Olympic silver medalist Sara Mcmaan gets quickly tapped out by a 16 year old kid?

Now I don't want anyone to misunderstand me I'm not hating on Sara at all. I'm simply sick of people trying to use her as an example of supposed 'elite' competition that Ronda has faced and refusing to acknowledge that Sara's silver medal is simply nothing like a silver medal in the men's division.

Last edited:

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Good for that girl, hopefully it inspires her to stick with it and see how far she can go.

Ryann Von Doom

The Man
Jan 28, 2015
Must be nice to have grown up with that.. When I was 16, I walked into John Lewis's academy.. Wanted to trane with the lions den back then.. but I was too poor anyway.

Lamont Cranston

Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
This is why many MMA guys don't go to grappling tournaments.

Grappling isn't MMA and you get people who throw up these videos as if it means something. Just like people who say they tapped someone in training.

%$#@ing ridiculous...

King of Life

Jan 28, 2015
This is why many MMA guys don't go to grappling tournaments.

Grappling isn't MMA and you get people who throw up these videos as if it means something. Just like people who say they tapped someone in training.

%$#@ing ridiculous...
I agree with you that grappling isn't MMA obviously but it is a major component of it of course.

I also think there is a big difference between being tapped in training by fellow professionals or experienced amateur fighters. Or being tapped by a 16 year old kid who is apparently still a blue belt.

Left Hook Larry

3x Undisputed Monsters Champ/King of Buttertooths
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
How long has Sara been training BJJ tho? She looked like a fish out of water on her back vs Miesha. When she has the top position she is very good in MMA.

ECC170

Monster's 11,ATM 2,Parlay Challenge,Hero GP Champ
Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
Last year and a half have been cruel to Sara...

Shy Guy

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right...
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Grappling and MMA are very, very different. I learned that after walking into a bjj gym after training at an MMA gym for 2 and a half years. It's just a grappling match...nothing to be ashamed of.

M

member 603

I'm telling you all right now... Alex, the 16 year old competitor here, has competed several times for the tournament I run Newbreed and she is legit. For you non BJJ practitioners out there, 16 is when you can start receiving adult level belts, although technically she could get a purple belt at that age, blue belt is right where most coaches will put that active competitor. Truth be told, I feel her grappling level (especially in no gi) is higher than her age belt limitation.

Alex will in the next several years be on the world stage in woman's BJJ... She has the skill set to become a world champ. I firmly feel that she in a grappling tournament could beat Ronda Rousey (since apparently according to all you MMA only viewers/Non BJJ practitioners-competitors, think is the best female grappler in the world).

Way to go Alex, parabéns.

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
MMA grappling and tournament grappling are quite different. I compete in both and you must train specifically for each one.

That said, OP makes a very valid point. For an Olympic medalist, McMann hasn't shown elite wrestling in her MMA fights.

Darqnezz

Merkin' fools since pre-school
Apr 25, 2015
The sub was not locked on. She tapped early because she's not used to the position & didn't want to take a chance on getting her leg wrecked. Take it easy fellas. Happens to adults all the time. EVERYONE, even high level guys are losing to leg locks right now. Have you seen TUF?

Jonny Quest

Adventurer
Feb 12, 2015
This whole thread is stupid and just lame attempt at taking away credit for Rondas accomplishments. Put that girl in a wrestling match with Sara and see who gets the pin. Put Sara and that girl in a boxing match with a womens pro boxer and see how destroyed they get. They are all different sports, so I dont see how it "calls into question once again the calibre of Ronda Rousey's opposition". That is just a very uneducated or troll statement. Rousey has faced every single person that Zuffa has put in front of her and all of the top women in her division, and has destroyed them. Before that she ran through Strikeforce. People like the OP are despicable and are always looking for some new "fact" to take away from others success and should be called out for it. OP name us a list of "opposition" that Rousey should have faced.

King of Life

Jan 28, 2015
I'm telling you all right now... Alex, the 16 year old competitor here, has competed several times for the tournament I run Newbreed and she is legit. For you non BJJ practitioners out there, 16 is when you can start receiving adult level belts, although technically she could get a purple belt at that age, blue belt is right where most coaches will put that active competitor. Truth be told, I feel her grappling level (especially in no gi) is higher than her age belt limitation.

Alex will in the next several years be on the world stage in woman's BJJ... She has the skill set to become a world champ. I firmly feel that she in a grappling tournament could beat Ronda Rousey (since apparently according to all you MMA only viewers/Non BJJ practitioners-competitors, think is the best female grappler in the world).

Way to go Alex, parabéns.
Thanks for your informative post and yes I have heard from several sources that Alex is no ordinary blue belt.

For the record I've never believed for a second that Ronda is best female grappler in the world. She wasn't even the best in Judo when she competed.

OhWhopDaChamp

TMMAC Addict
Apr 20, 2015
This whole thread is stupid and just lame attempt at taking away credit for Rondas accomplishments. That is just a very uneducated or troll statement. People like the OP are despicable and are always looking for some new "fact" to take away from others success and should be called out for it.
image.jpeg

King of Life

Jan 28, 2015
This whole thread is stupid and just lame attempt at taking away credit for Rondas accomplishments. Put that girl in a wrestling match with Sara and see who gets the pin. Put Sara and that girl in a boxing match with a womens pro boxer and see how destroyed they get. They are all different sports, so I dont see how it "calls into question once again the calibre of Ronda Rousey's opposition". That is just a very uneducated or troll statement. Rousey has faced every single person that Zuffa has put in front of her and all of the top women in her division, and has destroyed them. Before that she ran through Strikeforce. People like the OP are despicable and are always looking for some new "fact" to take away from others success and should be called out for it. OP name us a list of "opposition" that Rousey should have faced.
Well I'm sorry that you find me to be such a 'dispicable' person but I obviously can't please everyone with my opinions.That's just the way it is in this life and surely it would be alot more boring if we all agreed on everything?

The point I was making was that Sara McMaan is held up as an 'elite grappler' when people try to defend Ronda against claims that her opposition is weak. Nothing to do with her Boxing skills.

However for an 'elite grappler' to be tapped out by a 16 year old seriously calls that claim into question. Then we take into account other incidents like going for an Americana off of her back in the fight against Tate. So I don't believe she was ever an Elite grappler (Like Ronda fans try to claim). This is despite the fact she is an Olympic silver medalist and a runner up at the 2011 ADCC North American Championships who has practiced BJJ for at least 5 or more years.

The fact that male wrestlers in MMA can actually hang with elite BJJ competitors shows the sheer gulf in skill between the sexes at this time. If a non Olympic wrestler like Randy Couture can hang with a multiple World and ADCC champion then he isn't getting tapped out by a 16 year old blue belt.

People like me like to call it how it is. I have nothing against WMMA and enjoy watching it occasionally from time to time but let's not pretend the level of opposition is even in the same galaxy as any men's division. I know it isn't Ronda's fault her division is weak and she can only beat who they put in front of her.

Let's just be honest about her true level of opposition here. No male accountant in the world can take up MMA aged 28 (With no striking, grappling or any athletic background) and get a title shot in the UFC after being undefeated in his first 9 fights.

People call Ronda the Royce Gracie of WMMA for a very good reason. McMaan got her silver medal in the first ever Womens wrestling event an the Olympics. According to William Mitchell, who is the director of Future Olympian program at California USA wrestling, the women wrestlers of 2015 have already evolved so much from the group in 2004.

So let's just be honest here about the true level of WMMA and remain objective about it's current state.

Narcosynthesis

Posting Machine
May 25, 2015
As I was explaining to Narcosynthesis @Cerberus on another thread before he ran away again. You simply cannot compare a silver medal won at the first ever women's wrestling event at an Olympics in 2004 to the men's division. Men have been wrestling at the Olympics for over 100 years and have a substantially larger talent pool to choose from. The depth and talent between the sexes is night and day.

Can we ever imagine Olympians who didn't win a medal like Daniel Cormier or Ben Askren losing to 16 year old kids?

Even better we have a non Olympic wrestler Randy Couture who went up against BJJ legend Jacare. A guy who was a multiple world and ADCC champion.

View: http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTAyNjYwODUy.html

Yet Randy was able to hold his own and avoid getting submitted to earn a draw against someone who is absolutely world class in submission grappling. Yet a professional UFC fighter and Olympic silver medalist Sara Mcmaan gets quickly tapped out by a 16 year old kid?

Now I don't want anyone to misunderstand me I'm not hating on Sara at all. I'm simply sick of people trying to use her as an example of supposed 'elite' competition that Ronda has faced and refusing to acknowledge that Sara's silver medal is simply nothing like a silver medal in the men's division.

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
Well I'm sorry that you find me to be such a 'dispicable' person but I obviously can't please everyone with my opinions.That's just the way it is in this life and surely it would be alot more boring if we all agreed on everything?

The point I was making was that Sara McMaan is held up as an 'elite grappler' when people try to defend Ronda against claims that her opposition is weak. Nothing to do with her Boxing skills.

However for an 'elite grappler' to be tapped out by a 16 year old seriously calls that claim into question. Then we take into account other incidents like going for an Americana off of her back in the fight against Tate. So I don't believe she was ever an Elite grappler (Like Ronda fans try to claim). This is despite the fact she is an Olympic silver medalist and a runner up at the 2011 ADCC North American Championships who has practiced BJJ for at least 5 or more years.

The fact that male wrestlers in MMA can actually hang with elite BJJ competitors shows the sheer gulf in skill between the sexes at this time. If a non Olympic wrestler like Randy Couture can hang with a multiple World and ADCC champion then he isn't getting tapped out by a 16 year old blue belt.

People like me like to call it how it is. I have nothing against WMMA and enjoy watching it occasionally from time to time but let's not pretend the level of opposition is even in the same galaxy as any men's division. I know it isn't Ronda's fault her division is weak and she can only beat who they put in front of her.

Let's just be honest about her true level of opposition here. No male accountant in the world can take up MMA aged 28 (With no striking, grappling or any athletic background) and get a title shot in the UFC after being undefeated in his first 9 fights.

People call Ronda the Royce Gracie of WMMA for a very good reason. McMaan got her silver medal in the first ever Womens wrestling event an the Olympics. According to William Mitchell, who is the director of Future Olympian program at California USA wrestling, the women wrestlers of 2015 have already evolved so much from the group in 2004.

So let's just be honest here about the true level of WMMA and remain objective about it's current state.
Women's football is not comparable to men's football, but the women who represent their countries are elite female football players.

King of Life

Jan 28, 2015
Women's football is not comparable to men's football, but the women who represent their countries are elite female football players.
They are definetly the elite today no question.

However I believe women's football (I'm assuming you mean Soccer?) is still greatly evolving. Judging by the rate of development I believe the girls in 2035 will easily defeat the professionals of today.

More and more girls around the world are taking up Football and it's really growing.

Just like the female wrestlers of future Olympics will be alot more skilled then the first ever batch in 2004. We need to understand that something is in the middle of an evolution and not the finished product. Just like WMMA today.

If there was no comparison to the men's division there would never be an issue. I wish people could just be honest and enjoy WMMA for what it is today instead of exagerating things all the time to make it comparible to the men.