Society School Shooting at Santa Fe High School in Texas

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

silentsinger

Momofuku
Jun 23, 2015
The mental screening needs to be looked at...carefully. A poorly written law can make it to where guys like me that were once diagnosed with PTSD can't get anything, so I think that's an avenue that needs carefully, carefully written and reviewed. As far as letting civies have an AR... I have a strong feeling that a ban would have zero impact on anything. Honestly.
This is what I mean. It won't have an impact NOW because there are so many available, but kids, grandkids or whatever would feel the benefit eventually. There's a MASSIVE difference between a shotgun/pistol/knife or whatever in terms of immediate fatalities.

Ted Williams' head

It's freezing in here!
Sep 23, 2015
The mental screening needs to be looked at...carefully. A poorly written law can make it to where guys like me that were once diagnosed with PTSD can't get anything, so I think that's an avenue that needs carefully, carefully written and reviewed. As far as letting civies have an AR... I have a strong feeling that a ban would have zero impact on anything. Honestly.
Yeah that's where it gets tricky: there's plenty of people who have mental issues, breakdowns, etc, who get over it and are perfectly fine afterwards. Given that 2A is a Constitutional right, it's dangerous to haphazardly put in laws that would restrict those rights for large groups of citizens. Maybe a guy is in school, he's stressing over SATs, his girlfriend leaves him, his mom dies, and he has a mental breakdown and has to go to the doctor. So he's now restricted his 2A for the rest of his life? Doesn't make much sense to me. And of course there are so many people with mental illness who would never dream of hurting other people.

As far as the AR goes... Seung-Hui Choi killed 32 people at Virginia Tech with just two handguns, so an AR ban is not the magic quick fix people think imo. This recent kid used a shotgun and handgun I think.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
Many reports are saying it was an assault weapon as well.

The fact still stands, regardless. No one needs an assault weapon. But so many people in this country seem to think it's their God given right to have them.
The shooter used a shotgun. "Assault wrapon" is a made up term. I'd encourage you to look up the definition.

Jehannum

TMMAC's Most Handsome Artist
Jan 26, 2016
Maybe slowly torturing the next fuck that does something like this will start to slow the false bravery these losers pretend to have.
Are we being to harsh on petty criminals and not harsh enough on the others?
soon as you legalize torture it becomes a weapon to be used against the innocent because the judicial system isn't even remotely fair

I get your point but do YOU want to spend months being tortured?

Freeloading Rusty

Here comes Rover, sniffin’ at your ass
Jan 11, 2016
But on a real note.

What is the status of the arming teachers plan?

Is that happening or was it just rhetoric?

Jehannum

Jan 26, 2016
But on a real note.

What is the status of the arming teachers plan?

Is that happening or was it just rhetoric?
I think that if teachers are armed it should be commission based. Kill a school shooter and you get your bonus money, otherwise nothing. What makes anyone think teachers are less likely to lose their shit and shoot someone? aren't they the underpaid and overworked demographic?

Jehannum

Jan 26, 2016
Yeah that's where it gets tricky: there's plenty of people who have mental issues, breakdowns, etc, who get over it and are perfectly fine afterwards. Given that 2A is a Constitutional right, it's dangerous to haphazardly put in laws that would restrict those rights for large groups of citizens. Maybe a guy is in school, he's stressing over SATs, his girlfriend leaves him, his mom dies, and he has a mental breakdown and has to go to the doctor. So he's now restricted his 2A for the rest of his life? Doesn't make much sense to me. And of course there are so many people with mental illness who would never dream of hurting other people.

As far as the AR goes... Seung-Hui Choi killed 32 people at Virginia Tech with just two handguns, so an AR ban is not the magic quick fix people think imo. This recent kid used a shotgun and handgun I think.
what about bans on all automatic and semi automatic weapons? (I'm reading Seung-Hui Choi's wiki and he used semi-automatic pistols)

b00ts

pews&vrooms
Amateur Fighter
Oct 21, 2015
what about bans on all automatic and semi automatic weapons? (I'm reading Seung-Hui Choi's wiki and he used semi-automatic pistols)
Automatics were banned decades ago. Semi-autos are the most popular firearms and a ban will do nothing to get them off the streets. Also, a revolver is just as deadly and can be reloaded just as fast with either a speed load, speed strip, or round clips.

Freeloading Rusty

Jan 11, 2016
Semi-autos are the most popular firearms and a ban will do nothing to get them off the streets.
Care to elaborate more on this point?

I would assume, a ban would not make immediate changes but instead long term changes.

If banned, one would assume each year a % of the prohibited guns would be removed from circulation (due to confiscation during a crime, being turned in or being damaged beyond repair) until they were long longer prolifically available...

If banned, you honestly think the rates of semi-automatic guns would remain the same over the long term?

b00ts

pews&vrooms
Amateur Fighter
Oct 21, 2015
Care to elaborate more on this point?

I would assume, a ban would not make immediate changes but instead long term changes.

If banned, one would assume each year a % of the prohibited guns would be removed from circulation (due to confiscation during a crime, being turned in or being damaged beyond repair) until they were long longer prolifically available...

If banned, you honestly think the rates of semi-automatic guns would remain the same over the long term?
There’s probably around 75 million in circulation. Of course they will begin to diminish if a ban takes effect. So then how do you keep that number down when the smuggling begins and the black market gets flooded with them?

Freeloading Rusty

Jan 11, 2016
There’s probably around 75 million in circulation. Of course they will begin to diminish if a ban takes effect. So then how do you keep that number down when the smuggling begins and the black market gets flooded with them?
Other countries seem to be doing a decent enough job.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
What are some examples of prohibition working? And by working I don't mean completely erase the problem as that's pretty unreasonable but have had a big enough impact that it's worth pursuing.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
And you dying of developing a drug addiction would be your choice.

These kids dying via assault weapons like AR15s or whatever isn't their choice. Something needs to happen. Disarming people of those sort of weapons won't help our generation because we're far too into it now and sadly it's a part of life, but it will help future generations.

I don't want everyone to be disarmed of all weapons but more stringent checks need to happen, and no non military person needs an assault rifle. Or whatever you want to call it. No one.
I guess u didn't read that School Shooter Bertha used a shotgun and a 38 revolver...

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
I know you've seen some terrible stuff there but we live here. Children should be able to go to school without worrying about whichever school shooting they read about the day before. Get rid of assault rifles for civilians and eventually future generations will feel safer. Even if it's just a bit safer. The fact that it's just normal life now is so horrible.
Assault rifles are already illegal to own without a thorough background check and insanely expensive. Lsdt time a legally-owned assault rifle killed someone was when an off-duty cop killed his girlfriend with his service weapon.

Damn that list ends in Feb the 1st. We are in May right? I guess nothing to see here.
This list includes a 14 yo who shot himself in a school bathroom...