Society Scientists move Doomsday clock to 100 seconds from midnight

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Jehannum

TMMAC's Most Handsome Artist
Jan 26, 2016
If you started a nuclear war a population of 3.5 billion. Billions would not survive.
I still don't believe every country with nukes would be dropping them on each other regardless of where they are stored so yeah I believe it's likely a significant portion of the human race will survive. Maybe 2 billion is a stretch if we're splitting hairs but then again, who is going to sit around in a major city when nukes are being launched? people will scatter in every direction making it a lot less likely for them to die in the immediate aftermath of nuclear armageddon.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
I still don't believe every country with nukes would be dropping them on each other regardless of where they are stored so yeah I believe it's likely a significant portion of the human race will survive. Maybe 2 billion is a stretch if we're splitting hairs but then again, who is going to sit around in a major city when nukes are being launched? people will scatter in every direction making it a lot less likely for them to die in the immediate aftermath of nuclear armageddon.
With infrastructure gone mass deaths from illness and starvation are just around the corner for the average city dweller. Do you really not realize how utterly useless the majority of people are?

Jehannum

Jan 26, 2016
With infrastructure gone mass deaths from illness and starvation are just around the corner for the average city dweller. Do you really not realize how utterly useless the majority of people are?
I guess not, when it comes to surviving, the human race have adjusted every single time and I am inclined to believe it would be no different.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
I guess not, when it comes to surviving, the human race have adjusted every single time and I am inclined to believe it would be no different.
The human race adjusts well going forward. They do very poorly going backwards and the more advanced the worse it goes. There's some pretty good information available on what happened to Britain when they lost support of the Roman empire. It didnt go well for them. Unfortunately most of the information is from the accountant of other surrounding nations because they lost the ability to record keep.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
It's also worth noting Jehannum @Jehannum they came up with the clock to represent how close we are to nuking ourselves into the stone age, so it kind of flippant to pretend that nuclear war is closer today than it was then. If you're right (and I hope you are) that most people would survive a nuclear war then the clock holds no meaning anyways.

Jehannum

Jan 26, 2016
It's also worth noting Jehannum @Jehannum they came up with the clock to represent how close we are to nuking ourselves into the stone age, so it kind of flippant to pretend that nuclear war is closer today than it was then. If you're right (and I hope you are) that most people would survive a nuclear war then the clock holds no meaning anyways.
I'm not very intelligent, I think most of my opinion is about confidence in the human race to stubbornly resist being wiped out so you could be right about it all. Historically wars seem to be more drawn out rather than decided in a few days with the press of a button and I hope it stays that way.

Jehannum

Jan 26, 2016
Kind of sad to think of that way, isn't it?
haha yeah, I guess time is what gives us opportunities to end the war, even WWII was effectively won before the US decided to drop nukes on Japan. If they hadn't surrendered it makes you wonder how many more they would've launched (if they even had them, I watched the Manhattan series and it suggested they only had 2, one of each type made)

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
haha yeah, I guess time is what gives us opportunities to end the war, even WWII was effectively won before the US decided to drop nukes on Japan. If they hadn't surrendered it makes you wonder how many more they would've launched (if they even had them, I watched the Manhattan series and it suggested they only had 2, one of each type made)
You do need to keep in mind that the narrative of the war being already over is more than just a little bit revisionist.

Jehannum

Jan 26, 2016
You do need to keep in mind that the narrative of the war being already over is more than just a little bit revisionist.
I never said it was over, I said it was won. It didn't just end because of a declaration I know that.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
Still not sure of the relevance, learning more after the fact is very common.
When people today talk about "They didnt really need to drop the A bomb. Japan was pretty much ready to surrender." it's a little disingenuous because what we know today, they didn't then.

Jehannum

Jan 26, 2016
When people today talk about "They didnt really need to drop the A bomb. Japan was pretty much ready to surrender." it's a little disingenuous because what we know today, they didn't then.
Ah right, well I wasn't referring to the Japanese only the Germans but I can see why it was misleading.

Jehannum

Jan 26, 2016
just reading about Hitler's death and the only proof they have is the teeth found match his dental records.

Is it just me that thinks Hitler could and would have had them replaced with someone else's and had his stored under an alias?

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Enock-O-Lypse Now! @ENOCK what do you make of all this current stuff? I don't recall you sharing your ideas