Scott Coker: Bellator considering 5-round main events, but "once we do it, we can't go back"

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

TheEmperorRises

Right click hospital, left click cemetery
Dec 4, 2015
Five-round main event fights could be coming to Bellator, company President Scott Coker revealed at Friday’s Bellator 185 post-fight news conference.

Following a hotly contested unanimous decision win for Gegard Mousasi (43-6-2 MMA, 1-0 BMMA) over Alexander Shlemenko (56-10 MMA, 12-4 BMMA) in the Spike-televised middleweight fight at Mohegan Sun Arena in Uncasville, Conn., there was debate over what would have happened with two additional rounds.

The UFC adopted five-round non-title headliners in June 2011, and the results have come with little criticism. Bellator has yet to go in that direction, and although Coker said it’s something that’s being discussed, he admitted there’s some hesitation.

“That’s something we’ve been really debating internally,” Coker said. “Because once we do it, we can’t go back. Right now all the main events except for title fights are three rounds. … If this was a five-round fight, it could have ended in a different outcome.

“We’re going to evaluate internally, we’ll talk to our guys and then we’ll talk about it. At some point, we’ll probably do it, but once we do it, we’re not going to be able to come back.”

Coker did not reveal a timeline for when a decision will be made on implementing five-round title fights, but the widespread debate over the outcome of Mousasi vs. Shlemenko could convince one way or the other.

Full story here:
Scott Coker: Bellator considering 5-round main events, but 'once we do it, we can't go back'

Edit: video removed - L

Last edited by a moderator:
M

member 3289

I don't think they should unless they also increase fighter pay. The UFC did it without increasing fighter pay one dimr, they just said "oh from now on all main events are 5 rounds".

Training for a 5-round fight is a lot more work and, I imagine, is more expensive for the fighter.

BrunoMcGyver

Bruno no dey carry last
Dec 30, 2015
I don't think they should unless they also increase fighter pay. The UFC did it without increasing fighter pay one dimr, they just said "oh from now on all main events are 5 rounds".

Training for a 5-round fight is a lot more work and, I imagine, is more expensive for the fighter.
Do you wanna be a fuckin fighter?

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
They are going to, it's only a matter of when, and when should've already happened

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
They are going to, it's only a matter of when, and when should've already happened
Agree with this. But they do need to consider fighter pay for main event participants, which I'm sure they're doing.

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
5 round fights are boring as fuck imo....rarely any worth watching without using the ff button

Clappin'Daddys

Posting Machine
Sep 9, 2015
Should have happened long so. 5 round main events are a damn near given.

Schlemenko would have won a 5 rounder. Mousasi was completely spent.

nuraknu

savage
Jul 20, 2016
Wild @Wild Splinty @Splinty can someone fix the video embedding? It's autoplaying an advertisement both in the thread and on the TMMAC homepage.

:hibiscus:

P.S. When are we going to get hearts so I can stop giving everyone flowers? Or at least more flower choices? ♥