Scott Coker open to Bellator heavyweight tournament but wants to crown champion first

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Clappin'Daddys

Posting Machine
Sep 9, 2015

With a new influx of talent, and an unclaimed championship belt, Bellator’s heavyweight division is ripe for a tournament.

Bellator President Scott Coker, no stranger to the format, likes the idea of pairing the division’s baddest big guys against each other. But he said a new champion will be crowned before that happens.

“I think we will have some more fights, see how these guys fare, and then we can talk about something like that,” Coker today told MMAjunkie.

Coker said a matchup between Roy Nelson (23-14 MMA, 1-0 BMMA) and Matt Mitrione (12-5 MMA, 3-0 BMMA) “makes a lot of sense” as a fight for the title, though he also mentioned the surging Cheick Kongo (27-10-2 MMA, 9-2 BMMA) as a potential contender.

“I’d like to crown a heavyweight champ in the first part of (2018),” Coker said.

As UFC heavyweights, the trio are very familiar with each other. Nelson beat Mitrione and Kongo in succession, while Mitrione outpointed Kongo.

Kongo is the most experienced in the Bellator cage with 11 appearances, including a failed bid for the title against Vitaly Minakov, who left a void in the division when the promotion stripped him for inactivity.

Mitrione, meanwhile, joined the fold in March 2016 and has won three straight, with a June knockout of Fedor Emelianenko marking his most recent appearance.

This past Saturday, Nelson made a successful debut with a decision over Jay Ayala at Bellator 183. Before stepping into the cage, Nelson suggested a tournament would be the best way to establish a pecking order.

Coker has held several high-profile tournaments as the head of the now-defunct Strikeforce, including a one-night middleweight tournament in 2007 and the highly hyped Strikeforce World Grand Prix Heavyweight tournament in 2011. But he shifted away from the format after taking the reigns at Bellator in 2014, emphasizing super fights and “tentpole” events over the tournament format favored by previous Bellator chief Bjorn Rebney.

Coker isn’t opposed to the idea of crowning a heavyweight tournament champ, as he did for the Strikeforce grand prix. But in Bellator, he first wants to establish a champion to challenge a tournament winner.

Scott Coker open to Bellator heavyweight tournament but wants to crown champion first

Last edited by a moderator:

Clappin'Daddys

Posting Machine
Sep 9, 2015
Who would be in this tourney?

Idk what the holdup is really?

My best guess is that they are waiting for Mirs suspension to be up, and are trying to work something with minakov out. Those would be two nice pieces for a tourney.

Last edited:

ECC170

Monster's 11,ATM 2,Parlay Challenge,Hero GP Champ
Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
Who would be in this tourney?

Idk what the holdup is really?

My best guess is that they are waiting for Mirs suspension to be up, and are trying to work something with minakov out. Those would be to nice pieces for a tourney.
Roy, meathead,lashley, Wren,sergei,Kongo,Tony Johnson,Mir and oli Thompson with Fortune and Sakai as alternate..fortune could end up like DC and come in and win it if he was in it...i want him to get some more fights before that though

MMAHAWK

Real Gs come from California.America Muthafucker
Feb 5, 2015
I hope they follow through. As long as Fedor is under contract and planning to fight I think you have to work him into the 8.

As far as the article guess the author doesn't remember Bellator 142 Dynamite in 2015. Where Phil Davis won a 4 man lhw tournament under Coker. Crazy to me to write the article and not mention that when talking about the possibilities of doing a tourney.

Enock-O-Lypse Now!

Underneath Denver International Airport
Jun 19, 2016
Heavyweight "Open Invitation" Tournament that allows the UFC (Should they allow it) to let their fighters go to Bellator for this exclusive Tournament.

Should the UFC fighter win the Tourament. the Bellator Champion has to return the favor and go to the UFC and fight the Tournament winner on a UFC PPV.

Win - Win for both organizations and mainly the FANS!

Remember WME-IMG is in charge now and may be finally open to cross promoting.

TheEmperorRises

Right click hospital, left click cemetery
Dec 4, 2015
Heavyweight "Open Invitation" Tournament that allows the UFC (Should they allow it) to let their fighters go to Bellator for this exclusive Tournament.

Should the UFC fighter win the Tourament. the Bellator Champion has to return the favor and go to the UFC and fight the Tournament winner on a UFC PPV.

I wouldn't bet on it. It's never been they're style, and as long as Dana is part of the picture I don't see that changing.

As far as why they would wait- my guess would be to see if they can come to terms on a new contract with Minakov.

Freeloading Rusty

Here comes Rover, sniffin’ at your ass
Jan 11, 2016

I would love to see this, especially if Coker was running it.

But I doubt UFC would ever agree to it. Nothing to gain, everything to lose for them as a brand.

Pitbull9

Daddy
Jan 28, 2015
Roy, meathead,lashley, Wren,sergei,Kongo,Tony Johnson,Mir and oli Thompson with Fortune and Sakai as alternate..fortune could end up like DC and come in and win it if he was in it...i want him to get some more fights before that though
Dont forget Fedor.

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Fuck that it's gotta be open weight so we can Chuck a motivated Bob Sapp in there