Sci/Tech Self-Driving Uber Car Kills Pedestrian in Arizona

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
AZ leads the nation in that statistic. So if we haven't seen an appreciable uptick in car/pedestrian accidents in the limited geography where autonomous cars are being operated, you'll agree that an autonomous car is no more dangerous than a human driver in that environment, right?
What's the ratio of not autonomous cars to human operated?

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
I'm not sure what point you're making here, but now I can't ride a horse around. So yes, that was taken away from people.
only by inconvenience. If it mattered to you, you could have a life where you rode a horse everyday. To work and back, to the grocery store...it's an inconvenience, it's not illegal.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
What's the ratio of not autonomous cars to human operated?
Technically, all are human-operated. There are no autonomous (L4/L5) cars on the road at this time.

The human in this accident had every opportunity to avoid the collision that a human in an unassisted car would have possessed.
Human error due to over-reliance on automation, a legitimate safety concern for L1-L3 cars, is no more dangerous than an inattentive driver of an unassisted car. If you don't pay attention to driving, you're going to cause collisions. Sometimes with inattentive pedestrians.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
Technically, all are human-operated. There are no autonomous (L4/L5) cars on the road at this time.

The human in this accident had every opportunity to avoid the collision that a human in an unassisted car would have possessed.
Human error due to over-reliance on automation, a legitimate safety concern for L1-L3 cars, is no more dangerous than an inattentive driver of an unassisted car. If you don't pay attention to driving, you're going to cause collisions. Sometimes with inattentive pedestrians.
That's not an answer to my question.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
Filthy @T-City Parks/Rec Director also La Paix @BirdWatcher told me that everyone in Ontario secretly wishes they were American citizens so I imagine the province just copied all of our laws
According to the Highway Safety Act, horses and horse-drawn buggies are allowed on Ontario roads. Buggies need a slow moving vehicle sign, riders under 18 need a helmet and hard-soled shoes with a minimum 1.5 cm heel.

so not only can BeardOfKnowledge @ConorMcGregorsBeard ride a horse on the road, he can do it in his Fuck-Me pumps.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
so not only can BeardOfKnowledge @ConorMcGregorsBeard ride a horse on the road, he can do it in his Fuck-Me pumps.
Highway traffic act is provincial rather than municipal.

Livestock, rabbits and pigeons

In urban and suburban areas of the City not zoned for agricultural purposes, the keeping of domestic farm animals and fowl (such as horses, donkeys, mules, cattle, goats, swine, chickens, ducks and geese) is prohibited.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
Exactly, no human would hit that person, or at least kill that person. Back to the drawing boards tech nerds! Don't try to kill anyone this time.
any human who wasn't paying attention to driving would have hit the pedestrian. This driver wasn't paying attention.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
Because he relied on a robot to do it for him. False sense of security. It's human behavior.
so is texting and driving. so is Highway Hypnosis. so is yelling at the kids in the back seat. If you look away at the wrong moment, and a pedestrian literally walks in to the path your oncoming vehicle, that pedestrian is going to die.

Yossarian

TMMAC Addict
Oct 25, 2015
so is texting and driving. so is Highway Hypnosis. so is yelling at the kids in the back seat. If you look away at the wrong moment, and a pedestrian literally walks in to the path your oncoming vehicle, that pedestrian is going to die.
Yes, texting is yet another technology that takes us away from driving.

I would've used my breaks. That is the bottom line. The comuter did not. No matter what level, it's still not ready to drive alone (the computer that is). No matter how much you like them cars.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
Yes, texting is yet another technology that takes us away from driving.

I would've used my breaks. That is the bottom line. The comuter did not. No matter what level, it's still not ready to drive alone (the computer that is). No matter how much you like them cars.
OK, you would have used your brakes. Glad you have never taken your eyes off the road.

Any evidence that this guy would have used his brakes?

Edit to add: no shit the car is not ready to drive alone. That's why it's an L2 vehicle, and somebody is in the car. You want to put full blame on the car, but leave the two humans out of the equation.