Sci/Tech Self-Driving Uber Car Kills Pedestrian in Arizona

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Yossarian

TMMAC Addict
Oct 25, 2015
Edit to add: no shit the car is not ready to drive alone. That's why it's an L2 vehicle, and somebody is in the car.
What is the fucking purpose of that then! You are in the car but do not want to drive? Take the fiucking bus man! That is what I don't get. It's experimental at best. Good luck Volvo. If you don't do the driving, of course your mind is going to wander off. And no, I don;t take my eyes off the fucking road. Why is this so hard to believe. Common sense. Is this a millenial thing?

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
You could live outside of the municipality and ride a horse to work every day. Like I said, "convenience".
A horse can't travel the distance I'd need to travel to in order to accomplish that. I'd also not have anywhere to put the fucking thing, once I got there. It's also not at all economically viable.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
What is the fucking purpose of that then! You are in the car but do not want to drive? Take the fiucking bus man! That is what I don't get. It's experimental at best. Good luck Volvo. If you don't do the driving, of course your mind is going to wander off. And no, I don;t take my eyes off the fucking road. Why is this so hard to believe. Common sense. Is this a millenial thing?
The purpose is to augment your response, to provide an extra layer of presumptive decision-making. It's L2, that's what L2 means.

And if you say you don't take your eyes off the road, you're not very self-aware of your driving. If someone honks behind you, you take your eyes off the road. If you read a billboard, you take your eyes off the road.

Yossarian

TMMAC Addict
Oct 25, 2015
The purpose is to augment your response, to provide an extra layer of presumptive decision-making. It's L2, that's what L2 means.

And if you say you don't take your eyes off the road, you're not very self-aware of your driving. If someone honks behind you, you take your eyes off the road. If you read a billboard, you take your eyes off the road.
And still I am safer than that robot car. Accident free since I started driving in 94.

Belobog

First 100
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Arizona orders Uber to stop testing self-driving cars in the state

Nvidia is pausing its testing as well. They will still use manually driven data collection vehicles in the interim.

Nvidia explained why the accident led the company to suspend its testing."It’s a reminder of how difficult self-driving car technology is. It needs to be approached with extreme caution and the best safety technologies."

Nvidia is pushing a new simulation system to test autonomous programming. I see many points of failure of testing in a simulation, but it may help speed up the progress towards safer real world trials.

Last edited:

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
FYI - what i've heard is that Uber turned off Movidius and was using their own system, which is apparently not up to the same standards.