Society Sensitivity and privilege

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Onetrickpony

Stay gold
Nov 21, 2016
I think of privilege as a “blind spot”. An example is when the Louis CK stuff and his subsequent apology came out. I thought he was out of line, but I didn’t really get it. I read his apology and thought he handled it well and there was no real harm done. Then I was talking to my friend’s wife and found out she was disgusted by the apology. After she explained it from her perspective, I saw how his behaviour and his apology was viewed by a lot of women and understood the outrage a little better.

I think the problem is in people’s ego and arrogance thinking they can see an issue objectively without ever having the issue affect them.

Same thing with trans-gender, LGBQT, and race issues. I can do my best, but I’m always going to have a blind spot, some people would object to saying my blind spots are called by the privilege of being a white straight male (great head of hair, ko power on both hands, wonderful dancer), if you don’t like privilege just think of it as the understanding you can’t have without experiencing something someone else has to struggle against.

If you want to hear more of my ideas, check out my podcast Get Woke Cucktard! available on Stitcher, ITunes , or wherever you get your podcasts.
If a guy asks if he can jack off in front of you and if you say no he doesn’t do it, how the fuck is that something you get upset about?CK didn’t force himself on anyone, he just liked people to watch him beat off. By all accounts he seemed to be polite about asking too.

Chris Brown beats women and no one bats an eye. Louis asks girls nicely if they would watch him polish his bishop, does not do it if they say no and he’s portrayed a disgusting misogynistic piece of shit in the media.

The only thing CK is guilty of is being unattractive. If Louis was good looking this would never have been an issue.

Last edited:

Onetrickpony

Stay gold
Nov 21, 2016
I've been told before "Male privilege is being able to walk alone at night and not fear for your safety." I don't know what neighborhood these people grew up in but where I came from, not only was a male way more likely to be assaulted, but you can bet your sweet ass that you didn't walk through the park at night without being attentive of your surroundings.
Between the ages of 21-24 I lived in one of the worst areas in Winnipeg. People got shot, stabbed and robbed on a regular basis. I often walked alone at night campaigning for trouble but it never found me. Just like wildlife, if you look weak people will prey upon you.

If you aren’t able or unwilling to take measures to defend yourself but continue to frequent places that you know are dangerous, you have no right to complain when the inevitable attack occurs.

When the media started pushing that women should be able to wear whatever they want, at any time of night, in any area of any city, without any issue, I couldn’t fucking believe it. Maddeningly, if anyone were to question the wisdom of placing oneself in that position they were ‘victim blaming’. Personally, I equate that kind of action to someone covering themselves in blood and jumping into a shark tank.

My daughter will damn well know the dangers of society and be prepared to deal with them. She’ll be keenly aware of the absolute idiocy involved in walking into a terrible area, while wearing hardly any clothing, by herself, late at night. And if someone were to try to attack her she’ll know how to defend herself.

In a perfect world women could walk freely, wearing whatever they please, at anytime, anywhere. I would love for my wife and daughter to be able to dress however they want and go wherever they please.

We do not live in a perfect world.

This bullshit, slut shaming rhetoric only leads to ignorance of how evil people can be. Unfortunately, it also creates a false sense of security for anyone who believes it.

M

member 1013

Sticks and stones won’t break my bones and words will always hurt me.

Between the ages of 21-24 I lived in one of the worst areas in Winnipeg. People got shot, stabbed and robbed on a regular basis. I often walked alone at night campaigning for trouble but it never found me. Just like wildlife, if you look weak people will prey upon you.

If you aren’t able or unwilling to take measures to defend yourself but continue to frequent places that you know are dangerous, you have no right to complain when the inevitable attack occurs.

When the media started pushing that women should be able to wear whatever they want, at any time of night, in any area of any city, without any issue, I couldn’t fucking believe it. Maddeningly, if anyone were to question the wisdom of placing oneself in that position they were ‘victim blaming’. Personally, I equate that kind of action to someone covering themselves in blood and jumping into a shark tank.

My daughter will damn well know the dangers of society and be prepared to deal with them. She’ll be keenly aware of the absolute idiocy involved in walking into a terrible area, while wearing hardly any clothing, by herself, late at night. And if someone were to try to attack her she’ll know how to defend herself.

In a perfect world women could walk freely, wearing whatever they please, at anytime, anywhere. I would love for my wife and daughter to be able to dress however they want and go wherever they please.

We do not live in a perfect world.

This bullshit, slut shaming rhetoric only leads to ignorance of how evil people can be. Unfortunately, it also creates a false sense of security for anyone who believes it.
Winnipeg has few redeeming features. But I think you've exaggerated the notion that women have been getting raped and sexually assaulted due to their wardrobe choice with regard for their environment.

M

member 1013

Winnipeg has few redeeming features. But I think you've exaggerated the notion that women have been getting raped and sexually assaulted due to their wardrobe choice with regard for their environment.
I only rape chicks that are dressed in a conservative manner cause I’m a rebel

Shinkicker

For what it's worth
Jan 30, 2016
Fair point, but the goal of word choice isn't to alter physical reality. It's to communicate more clearly.
Interesting topic. For productive communication you have try to stay in your lane. Only communicate your perspective and not judge them or theirs. And both of those terms can be judgmental by definition.

In the case of someone being over sensitive for example, you could say, "I'm sorry. I didn't realize that you were so passionate about this. Maybe we can discuss it later if you want." That lets them know that you recognize their feelings but also that you want a calm and rational conversation.

As far as privilege I'd say, "I think our backgrounds play a role in how we view things." It clearly states that it's your opinion and explains different views without implying that one had it better or worse than the other. Or I think "privilege" can be used without offending if you apply it to yourself and not them directly. Such as, "Maybe I see it this way because I didn't have some of the privileges that other people had."

I like this. Please post if you do a writing on it. :)

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
For what it's worth, I completely understand why being called "too sensitive" or "triggered" would be as offensive to some people. But at this point in time it isn't fashionable to consider my ethnicity a victimized one, so I'm not lumped into that category very often.
I think that your explanation of the way you hear privilege is very clarifying. I think on the other side of the spectrum, people who hear they're being over-sensitive often feel like everything they've ever experienced, from the neighborhood they grew up in to their family circumstances to the way they've been disrespected or humiliated at various times in their lives is entirely their fault.

These twin mental constructs are both based on shame. So it seems like a more productive way of people communicating about the role of social forces would move away from shame and towards...?

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
Interesting topic. For productive communication you have try to stay in your lane. Only communicate your perspective and not judge them or theirs. And both of those terms can be judgmental by definition.

In the case of someone being over sensitive for example, you could say, "I'm sorry. I didn't realize that you were so passionate about this. Maybe we can discuss it later if you want." That lets them know that you recognize their feelings but also that you want a calm and rational conversation.

As far as privilege I'd say, "I think our backgrounds play a role in how we view things." It clearly states that it's your opinion and explains different views without implying that one had it better or worse than the other. Or I think "privilege" can be used without offending if you apply it to yourself and not them directly. Such as, "Maybe I see it this way because I didn't have some of the privileges that other people had."

I like this. Please post if you do a writing on it. :)
This is definitely some productive phrasing. Thanks for pitching in. How do you think those two tactics could be used in online spaces?

M

member 1013

Holy fuck what an overly sensitive thread.

We are all privileged to have such trivial sensitivities

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
I think that your explanation of the way you hear privilege is very clarifying. I think on the other side of the spectrum, people who hear they're being over-sensitive often feel like everything they've ever experienced, from the neighborhood they grew up in to their family circumstances to the way they've been disrespected or humiliated at various times in their lives is entirely their fault.

These twin mental constructs are both based on shame. So it seems like a more productive way of people communicating about the role of social forces would move away from shame and towards...?
Understanding is the word youre looking for. What I'd like very much is for people to write the word "nuance" and it's definition in the palm of their hand and anytime they feel an emotional reaction coming on, look down. Read it and then ask "why do I feel this way?" Before proceeding any further. Look at all the hot issues. They aren't issues people think about, they're issues people feel about.

There's an old saying about "taking a walk in another man's moccasins" and I find increasingly people are less likely to do so, particularly if it might leave them feeling uncomfortable.

M

member 1013

Earth is big stone brah
I guess it’s all relative,* but I would say it’s a rock. A stone is a size of rock but some rocks are too big to be stones.

*saying things are all relative confidently is a good way to get people off your back

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Just a double now

Splinter took two of my posts back

Shinkicker

For what it's worth
Jan 30, 2016
This is definitely some productive phrasing. Thanks for pitching in. How do you think those two tactics could be used in online spaces?
The same if it's one on one, I guess. If addressing a group or generalizing the context would have to be considered. If generalizing it's easier to just use "over sensitive" or "privileged" because most (me) will assume "oh, he isn't talking about me" :)

Someone online being over sensitive may be harder to address without making assumptions. So I'd just go head on and say "you seem to be taking this as an insult and that's not the intent here." Or maybe you do mean it as an insult...

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
If a guy asks if he can jack off in front of you and if you say no he doesn’t do it, how the fuck is that something you get upset about?CK didn’t force himself on anyone, he just liked people to watch him beat off. By all accounts he seemed to be polite about asking too.

Chris Brown beats women and no one bats an eye. Louis asks girls nicely if they would watch him polish his bishop, does not do it if they say no and he’s portrayed a disgusting misogynistic piece of shit in the media.

The only thing CK is guilty of is being unattractive. If Louis was good looking this would never have been an issue.
Saw this today and thought of this post.

View: https://twitter.com/Deadspin/status/1139272792002744320?s=19