Serial Podcast Thread -- Adnan Guilty or Not?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Did Adnan participate in the Murder of Hae Min Lee?

• Yes

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters
Feb 28, 2015
I loved Serial but felt like a toddler stranded in a grocery store when it was over. I started to listen to Undisclosed but they couldn't keep my attention. It was like ok already, just, like, tell me what the fuck REALLY happened.

OhWhopDaChamp

TMMAC Addict
Apr 20, 2015
Don't know if he did it but wouldn't have voted to convict him on the evidence presented in the first trial. I don't put any stock in the "new eyewitness" that says he was in the library. His lawyer was sus. Af

FeeO

You're all on steroids.
May 14, 2015
Adnan gave me a psychopath vibe. I can't explain exactly why, mostly it was in his glibness about prison life and in his manipulations of Koenig (who was not nearly critical enough a thinker to take this case on effectively). You know on their prison calls where he'll subtly withdraw approval from her? Weird, chilling.

I think he did it because Hae damaged his ego. But he should not have gone to jail on the evidence presented.

Gonna check out the listeners' theories podcast.

OhWhopDaChamp

TMMAC Addict
Apr 20, 2015
Adnan gave me a psychopath vibe. I can't explain exactly why, mostly it was in his glibness about prison life and in his manipulations of Koenig (who was not nearly critical enough a thinker to take this case on effectively). You know on their prison calls where he'll subtly withdraw approval from her? Weird, chilling.

I think he did it because Hae damaged his ego. But he should not have gone to jail on the evidence presented.

I see where your coming from. I remember when he at first acted bewildered because she said she liked him and then later when she asked him a tough question? or she didn't follow up like he thought she should? he said how he had no feelings for her she was just a stranger or something to that effect. She sounded shocked and like she wanted to cry.

Priziesthorse

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 15, 2015

OhWhopDaChamp

TMMAC Addict
Apr 20, 2015
Extra gross was the terrorism and culture bigotry on display during preliminary hearings and bail arraignment. Disgraceful

FeeO

You're all on steroids.
May 14, 2015
Extra gross was the terrorism and culture bigotry on display during preliminary hearings and bail arraignment. Disgraceful
Yeah that was horrifying, how a large part of the prosecution's case hinged on the assertion that he had to have killed her because he was Muslim/of Arabic descent. Cultural/racial bias is not evidence.

Tiiimmmaaayyy

First 100 ish
Jan 19, 2015
I loved Serial but felt like a toddler stranded in a grocery store when it was over. I started to listen to Undisclosed but they couldn't keep my attention. It was like ok already, just, like, tell me what the fuck REALLY happened.
A friend told me to check it out. I already listen to too many podcasts, but I agreed to try 1 episode. I got hooked and listened to every one of them in a weekend. Then, like you, I was searching for more. My OCD took over and I scoured the interwebs look for updates. I was told Season 2 was going to come out at some point. I haven't heard anything about undisclosed, but will check it out. I voted yes, he did it. I think it's more likely than not. It's easy to check yes, but if I were on the jury I would've certainly not convicted. There was plenty of shady shit that left reasonable doubt in my mind.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
If she'd said, plaintively, "But this is Adnan" as though it was logic one more time I was going to punch a hole in a tree (I listened walking my dog).

I just can't stop hearing his lawyers droning voice...

IS IT NOOOoootTTTT????

FeeO

You're all on steroids.
May 14, 2015
I just can't stop hearing his lawyers droning voice...

IS IT NOOOoootTTTT????
That was one of the most bizarre subplots of the whole case! Apparently she was some brilliant lawyer with addiction and financial problems that derailed Adnan's defense? Okay, I thought. Then I heard her voice and I was incredulous that anyone would ever be able to listen to her for 20 seconds, let alone months of a case or the years it takes to build a rep like hers.

OhWhopDaChamp

TMMAC Addict
Apr 20, 2015
That was one of the most bizarre subplots of the whole case! Apparently she was some brilliant lawyer with addiction and financial problems that derailed Adnan's defense? Okay, I thought. Then I heard her voice and I was incredulous that anyone would ever be able to listen to her for 20 seconds, let alone months of a case or the years it takes to build a rep like hers.
i didn't know she was an addict, what was she taking

FeeO

You're all on steroids.
May 14, 2015
i didn't know she was an addict, what was she taking
I don't know if they ever established what exactly, but on one episode someone alluded to her being at least an alcoholic. I'd thought that the purported substance probs led to the financial probs that led to her soaking clients for money but I might have it all wrong.

OhWhopDaChamp

TMMAC Addict
Apr 20, 2015
I don't know if they ever established what exactly, but on one episode someone alluded to her being at least an alcoholic. I'd thought that the purported substance probs led to the financial probs that led to her soaking clients for money but I might have it all wrong.
No I remember vaguely something like that, I know she was bleeding a couple of clients. I think I just got caught up in her illness and death. Blamed her shitty lawyering on that.

I need another road trip so I can listen from the beggining again :)

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Blamed her shitty lawyering on that.
Serial pushed that idea a lot.

But, you've got all these people saying that adnan did this or that.
Your client says it was just another day, I don't remember anything about that day.

It was his first day having a cell phone at school(in 1999 man!) he loans his car to a guy that he says he isn't even friends with, he speaks to the cops on the phone. And his response is "i don't know its just another day?". And the Nisha call son! That's a butt dial?

I would have still let him off because the states case was so poorly put together. But I don't believe for a second that his story of events or lack of memory is accurate at all.

OhWhopDaChamp

TMMAC Addict
Apr 20, 2015

Your client says it was just another day, I don't remember anything about that day.

It was his first day having a cell phone at school(in 1999 man!) he loans his car to a guy that he says he isn't even friends with, he speaks to the cops on the phone. And his response is "i don't know its just another day?". And the Nisha call son! That's a butt dial?

I would have still let him off because the states case was so poorly put together. But I don't believe for a second that his story of events or lack of memory is accurate at all.
The Nisha call I give him a pass for because all cellphone companies did round up to the next min. But he's not innocent, he should just be not guilty

Feb 28, 2015
I think the lawyer lady also had some serious illness and she was already deteriorating quite rapidly prior to being on his case. She was dead within a few years after I think they said.

FeeO

You're all on steroids.
May 14, 2015

You've just nailed one of the most unsettling things about Adnan for me, one that I hadn't realised until your post. His affect was disturbingly flat. I'd have trusted him more if he'd been furious with Jay, or the legal system, or nervous and thrilled at the chance to get his side of the story out. Just...a void. I know my impression is as logically invalid as Koenig's more positive emotional response to him and doesn't prove he's guilty any more than her being charmed by him proves he's innocent, but it's eerie to me all the same. I'd have voted to acquit, but he's uncanny.

Priziesthorse

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
I hear a lot of divisive coming out of her hosting. What is it that you dislike so much?
I find her to be absurdly naive. She spent so much time whining about her angst over whether Syed was a good person or not. She couldn't wrap her brain around the idea that sometimes good people commit terrible crimes while many assholes go their whole lives without murdering someone. Welcome to the real world.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
His affect was disturbingly flat. I'd have trusted him more if he'd been furious with Jay, or the legal system, or nervous and thrilled at the chance to get his side of the story out.

On the podcast they briefly address this. It's chalked up to 15 years of being institutionalized.

But let's consider admins perspective. He says he didn't kill or have anything to do with the murder. Is this is his reality, then hjay killed the woman that he still loved. Remember adnan tells the nurse some stuff about how he and hae were gonna get back together after hae is found dead.

And then after participating in her death and hiding her murder, Jay pins it on him. And his only response is "well I didn't want to do the same thing to Jay that he did to me? I dunno why he is saying stuff".

If it were just a miscarriage of justice, I could understand him losing that personal anger against the larger system. But this is the guy who murders someone you were incredibly close with and by all accounts he never says anything to the guy or about that guy except "you suck"??

Prisoners dilemma!