Serious question for our older grapplers

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.
M

member 603

So here I am, getting ready for a tournament, about to turn another year older.... And I see a LOT of fellow 40 year old competitors just YOKED. I know that a lot of active competitors in my age bracket are taking something "extra" in their training supplements. Have any of you guys thought about doing the same to stay competitive with guys like this?

GSPTrainingInAPool

Man on the silver mountain
Dec 1, 2015
So here I am, getting ready for a tournament, about to turn another year older.... And I see a LOT of fellow 40 year old competitors just YOKED. I know that a lot of active competitors in my age bracket are taking something "extra" in their training supplements. Have any of you guys thought about doing the same to stay competitive with guys like this?
there's no testing?

or the extras are all legal?

maurice

Posting Machine
Oct 21, 2015
I hear TRT is pretty easy to get legally.

I might do that one day.

SC MMA MD

TMMAC Addict
Jan 20, 2015
Man there are 45 year old guys out there more jacked than Gordon Ryan now.... SC MMA MD @SC MMA MD Darqnezz @Darqnezz have you guys had this same experience in your areas?
There are always a few, and at Masters worlds there were a LOT. I have noticed at every smaller local tournament a good number of older white belts who look suspiciously jacked, I assume they are having a midlife crisis and started grappling after already chasing the fountain of youth in a vial.
I am too scared of messing with my endocrine system to consider TRT/Doping, and grappling will always just be a serious hobby for me- I don't ever expect to make any income from it or need my competition record to make an academy look good.

SC MMA MD

TMMAC Addict
Jan 20, 2015
I hear TRT is pretty easy to get legally.

I might do that one day.
TRT/HGH etc are ridiculously easy to get currently, but there seems to be increasing scrutiny of "anti-aging" clinics on the horizon, so I think there is a chance that we will see less casual folks getting "a boost" in the future.

SC MMA MD

TMMAC Addict
Jan 20, 2015
there's no testing?

or the extras are all legal?
Zero testing except IBJJF at black belt- and even then is seems to have become extremely rare since a few guys popped positive and some good competitors seemed to start avoiding IBJJF tournaments.

SC MMA MD

TMMAC Addict
Jan 20, 2015
I also worry that I might be using the idea that other guys are juicing to excuse a sub-optimal performance from myself; but there are for sure quite a few guys in the masters brackets that are not all natural.

jasonhightower

"You're not even training are you Frenchy?"
Jan 2, 2017
I've never done anything illegal, but I started TRT 5 years ago and it has been a life changer. Not just physically from a recovery standpoint, but primarily due to the mental/emotional impact it had. I legit needed it though, average range they said for my age was 400-800. I tested at 157.

M

member 603

I would never take anything for an advantage, but I will say that it pisses me off when I go up against 45 year olds who could pass for Avengers stunt doubles

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
I would never take anything for an advantage, but I will say that it pisses me off when I go up against 45 year olds who could pass for Avengers stunt doubles
Just be glad your gym isn't near a special forces training center.

M

member 603

Just be glad your gym isn't near a special forces training center.
We do a lot of stuff with military personnel, I never have issues with those guys (and the intensity they train with), it's the guys that you know are CLEARLY on PED's, and need that shit to be competitive, who go out there and roid rage on you as they roll..... Those motherfuckers suck

maurice

Posting Machine
Oct 21, 2015
I started TRT 5 years ago and it has been a life changer. Not just physically from a recovery standpoint, but primarily due to the mental/emotional impact it had.
I'm actually worried about that. I've become rather calm in my old age, which I find to be a net positive. I was rather ornery when I was younger, and only dumb luck kept me out of serious trouble.

Darqnezz

Merkin' fools since pre-school
Apr 25, 2015
Man there are 45 year old guys out there more jacked than Gordon Ryan now.... SC MMA MD @SC MMA MD Darqnezz @Darqnezz have you guys had this same experience in your areas?
I don’t compete that often, but I do see monsters at competition I attend. Jiujitsu is expensive enough, & at my age, I can’t see myself spending extra loot to win a cheap medal (especially when I’ve already paid to enter the tourney). But as the sport gains publicity more people are going to cheat to get ahead. At the bigger tournaments like Masters Worlds the IBJJF should test all the 1st place winners. Maybe start fining athletes and academies that cheat. But it’s Brazilian run, & they believe in getting that extra boost. Nothing is going to change anytime soon, but That’s life.

Darqnezz

Merkin' fools since pre-school
Apr 25, 2015
I've never done anything illegal, but I started TRT 5 years ago and it has been a life changer. Not just physically from a recovery standpoint, but primarily due to the mental/emotional impact it had. I legit needed it though, average range they said for my age was 400-800. I tested at 157.
Thats understandable. Bjj is tough on the body. I know a lot of older guys on TRT. I recently had my levels checked ( I suggest everyone get it done as I found out I was deficient in certain vitamin levels). The normal range of testosterone is 265-920. Mine was at 410. Even though it’s on the low side, it’s still within the “Normal” zone. So I decided to try to find natural ways to boost my levels. Diet, exercise, & getting more sleep. I’ll retest in 6 months to check my progress. If I need to go on TRT to improve my well being, and I’m really thinking about it, then I’ll quit competing.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
A lot of spec ops guy are on TRT because they’re deficient. The constant, rigorous training, without adequate sleep crushes testosterone levels.
They're also on God knows what else because the government wants to keep them jacked the fuck up all the time.

Brigsy

Jan 21, 2015
I don't compete and I'm shit at BJJ but I enjoy it. The only thing that would make me consider TRT is recovery, from fatigue and injuries. But I'm scared of the increased risk of prostate cancer and needing to continue taking it when I might not be able to afford it. Its a Harley street thing in the UK I guess unless you know a guy.....(which I wouldn't trust anyway)

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
I don't need it (yet). I'm very lean and strong in my division (M3). I also don't want to be bumped into a higher weight class.

I might go on therapeutic dosages in the future but not unless I need to. Side effects of juicing are a hassle.

Tuc Ouiner

Posting Machine
May 19, 2016
Sifu James "Splashing Hands" McNeal recommends suspending a 45 lb plate from a hemp rope tied securely to your 'nards and lingum while in a perfect horse stance standing in your birthday suit in front of a full-length mirror. Of course all the while maintaining a death stare while swinging the plate to and fro. Rubbing Dit Ja Jow on the affected area afterwords is heartily recommended. Sifu Wing Lam sells DJJ at a reasonable price. After you've achieved proficiency, don't forget to tie your 'nards securely to your leg before entering a BJJ tournament. He recommends a half-hitch or square not. One absent-minded practitioner was strangled with his own stretchy lingum at the Abu Dhabi last year.