Shane Mosley: I was asked to throw fights, was set up in steroid scandal

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.
P

Punch

Shane Mosley is a fighter not afraid to speak his mind, and his latest public statement is likely to raise some eyebrows in the boxing world. The former world champion took to Twitter Sunday night for a lengthy diatribe on boxing. In it, he talks about working with a promoter he suspects of murdering people, his own past indiscretions including selling drugs, and much more.

One of the most interesting parts is where he describes being asked to throw a fight and the subsequent fallout. Here is his story, in Twitter-speak:

I was approached by this slimy promoter, offered a million $ under the table 2 lose 2 his guy. my biggest purse b4 that was like $50k so I was like a million $ wow.

But I couldn't lose I love the respect 2 much, but I had taken fight b4 he made the offer so I had 2 fight. I KOed the guy. Mistake.

After that I was getting death threats on some mafia type shit. People following me, had 2 throw them hands in a dark alley 1 night on some gangster ish. I still don't know how I got out of that 1 cause I should have been dead bout three four times by now. So then this guy who I turned down 2work with me had it out 4 me so he set me up a few fights with the sole purpose of ending my career & I ended up taking L's.

After those 4 loses every1 said "hang it up. Your washed up. U can't win" but I keep proving people wrong & coming back 2 beat Vargas x2. Mayorga, Margarito, Cano. Cause I'm the comeback kid. Hate fuels me. Cause I like to prove people wrong.

Given the timeline Mosely provides (after beating De La Hoya, but before losing to Vernon Forrest) and that he says he won by KO, that would suggest that the fight in question was either against Antonio Diaz or Adrian Stone. Interestingly, in this 2010 interview, Stone also talks vaguely about some questionable management issues leading up to the Mosley fight.

Continuing on his Twitter rant, Mosley goes on to talk about being asked to throw fights on multiple occasions, and when he refused, facing repercussions including having things slipped into his water or food before fights to make him sick.

Perhaps the biggest claim is when Sugar Shane states that because he refused to follow people's orders...

LINK to full article: Shane Mosley: I was asked to throw fights, was set up in steroid scandal

P

Punch

Man, you always hear whispers and rumors about the corruption in boxing (hell it's a damn tv and movie trope at this point) and every once in a while you get a story that opens the curtain wide and you glimpse inside to see how fucked up the behind the scenes can be in the fight world. If these claims are true, i wouldn't be the least bit surprised.

Ted Williams' head

It's freezing in here!
Sep 23, 2015
I don't know, I guess it's possible but who knows Mosley says a lot of wild shit. The timeline doesn't make sense to me... he says the biggest purse before he got the offer to throw the fight was 50k, but he would have earned many times that amount for the DLH fight in 2000 so that means it would have had to have been before that. So he says a guy was trying to sabotage his career, but yet he still got a huge money fight with DLH? And he went 2 more years after that DLH fight before he ran into Forrest (rip) and Winky Wright, so if someone was trying to sabotage his career why would it take 2-3 years to do it? I'm very confused.

I think he might be fucking himself over by saying this now, back in the day fighters had a duty to declare to the commission that they were approached to take a dive (even if they never accepted it), I know this got guys like Jake Lamotta and Rocky Graziano in trouble back in the day. I don't know if that's still the rule though.

I feel bad for Mosley though... great fighter, one of the best lw's of all time IMHO but he held on way too long... got fucked over on a bad divorce... his wife even took his championship belts on him... god damn

Ted Williams' head

It's freezing in here!
Sep 23, 2015
Anybody know who the shady manager guy is he's talking about? Is it Al Haymon?
It could be. If I got the timeline right, that was just when Haymon got into boxing.

If I had to guess, I'd say James Prince. He was a rapper-turned-promoter who managed Floyd Mayweather at the time (long before he became Money Mayweather). At that time Mayweather was trying desperately to secure a fight with Mosley at 135, so it's conceivable that Prince would have wanted to get Mosley locked up to make that happen.

Prince was also known as a gangster. When him and Mayweather split up, he sent some thugs to Mayweather's gym and they beat the fuck out of a few of his friends. Prince was a street guy, Al Haymon is a Harvard man, so if Mosley is talking about having thugs sent to beat him up/kill him, I'd say that's more of a James Prince move.

Sex Chicken

Exotic Dancer
Sep 8, 2015
I saw Mosely fight in Cancun a few years ago.

This was his girlfriend.

I challenged him to a fight in the parking lot for the right to make love to her but he ran away like a pussy.

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
I don't buy Mosely being drugged with steroids. He's had some other weird situations that suggest he's good at finding loopholes to absolve himself, i.e. his divorce. I believe he was asked to take dives though. I wonder how many MMA fighters have gotten that offer.