Shit that pisses me off in training....

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.
M

member 603

Self explanatory title, let me give you one....

Brand new student starts at the gym, older person, no prior BJJ training, nor any other martial arts or sports background.... They've been there for less than a week, and always asks to spar BUT gets upset because they don't know what to do..... NO SHIT DUMBASS!!! YOU JUST STARTED!!!!! We've told you to watch some matches, ask questions, drill the techniques you learned that day, just know that training/sparring time is training/sparring time, NOT 4 minute private lesson time. Don't get mad, and tell us that you don't know what to do, LISTEN to coaching.

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015

Brand new student starts at the gym, older person, no prior BJJ training, nor any other martial arts or sports background.... They've been there for less than a week, and always asks to spar BUT gets upset because they don't know what to do..... NO SHIT DUMBASS!!! YOU JUST STARTED!!!!! We've told you to watch some matches, ask questions, drill the techniques you learned that day, just know that training/sparring time is training/sparring time, NOT 4 minute private lesson time. Don't get mad, and tell us that you don't know what to do, LISTEN to coaching.
How about the older educated professionals who try to apply their cottonwool intellect to a fight? These guys with letters after their names can be the slowest motherfuckers to learn because some (not all, obviously) think they know better. I've got kids with ADHD and Asperger's who learn WAY faster.

"But I can grab your hand and then stop you like this."
*Trying to smile* "No, because that puts you into a triangle choke. Please believe me, posture is important."

Then invariably they don't listen and think they know better, then wonder why they get tapped out by everyone and they don't improve.

M

member 603

How about the older educated professionals who try to apply their cottonwool intellect to a fight? These guys with letters after their names can be the slowest motherfuckers to learn because some (not all, obviously) think they know better. I've got kids with ADHD and Asperger's who learn WAY faster.

"But I can grab your hand and then stop you like this."
*Trying to smile* "No, because that puts you into a triangle choke. Please believe me, posture is important."

Then invariably they don't listen and think they know better, then wonder why they get tapped out by everyone and they don't improve.
Oh my yes, those guys

Pitbull9

Daddy
Jan 28, 2015
What annoyed me was the guys who would purposely look and seek out the weaker or less skilled guys and try to always posture up and when someone with equal experience or more wants to go a little bit, its excuse after excuse accompanied by awkward laughing.

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
What annoyed me was the guys who would purposely look and seek out the weaker or less skilled guys and try to always posture up and when someone with equal experience or more wants to go a little bit, its excuse after excuse accompanied by awkward laughing.
We definitely have one of those.

Pitbull9

Daddy
Jan 28, 2015
One time I was rolling with one of those guys and i ended up mounting him and to fuck with him a bit, i started to lay all my weight on him so he couldnt move and i would give him nipple twisters lol. He was a good sport and actually got worked over a few times and stopped his antics.

SAJ

Posting Machine
Aug 2, 2015

What's the best approach for a brand new student when it comes to free sparring?

Do you put him in with a higher belt and let the experienced guys walk him through it, or do you just throw him in there and see how he survives?

SAJ

Posting Machine
Aug 2, 2015
know it all blue belts that are secretly scared of me and will avoid me like the plague, I sense their fear before I even step on the mats

M

member 603

What's the best approach for a brand new student when it comes to free sparring?

Do you put him in with a higher belt and let the experienced guys walk him through it, or do you just throw him in there and see how he survives?
Normally I would have them work with a higher belt on specific techniques. Knowing that more likely than not they'll end up they'll end up on their back either mounted or side mounted, I have them lightly drill escapes and recoveries.

After a week or two of just that (and to get them comfortable with being in that position and not spazzing out, or rolling over and giving their back), I'll start with their guard posture and base, teaching them how to keep good posture and balance, and create scrambles in case they get knocked over.

I read something Saulo Ribeiro said one time that stuck with me about mindset at belt levels... White belts main focus is survival (they don't know anything yet), Blue belts is defense (make it hard to get caught, at the same time start attacking back), Purple belts start setting up the attacks and their game, Brown belts tighten it all up and Black belts teach it. I like these concepts because it does help newer students understand that there is a place of focus when training. I try to explain to white belts not to get upset when you're not submitting people, the likelihood of subbing higher belts (who aren't allowing you to get position) is minimal... But you can survive and defend against all of them.

SC MMA MD

TMMAC Addict
Jan 20, 2015
We had a guy come a few years ago that epitomized most of the things I detest in training partners. Dude was in his 20’s, fairly athletic, and fairly strong. Zero grappling experience. Barley paid attention to the technique demonstrations, and had a million “but what if I...” questions. Rolling time comes, and he picks the smallest person on the mat and goes 1000%, gets smashed anyways. Repeat x3 classes, and he storms off the mat saying “I can’t learn if I am always losing”. Never seen again.

On the plus side, he provided a quote that is now famous at our school.

Darqnezz

Merkin' fools since pre-school
Apr 25, 2015
People that don’t know or apply mat etiquette. Not showing respect for your teammates. Not paying attention to where you are, & what your doing so you don’t hurt someone accidentally. Going 75-100% when your teammate doesn’t expect it. Cranking on any submission (I believe it shows a lack of control). The stinky guy. Upper belts that abuse new students. Lower belts that abuse new students. I’ve got a million more.

Wintermute

Putin is gay
Apr 24, 2015
I think this is actually the norm.

I heard somewhere a 70/30 split is good to improve- 70% of your rolls should be with people at or below your level, 30% should be with guys above you.