Shocker: Gleison Tibau says UFC's new tenure-based sponsor pay 'will be better'

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015

Only Tito Ortiz has more UFC fights than Gleison Tibau, so it’s no surprise the lightweight thinks the promotion’s recent switch to tenure-based sponsor pay is good news.

“I feel this new rule will be better,” Tibau (33-11 MMA, 16-9 UFC) told MMAjunkie in an interview conducted after the announcement that it’s changing the way it distributes money from a deal with apparel giant Reebok.

Tibau has walked into the octagon on 25 occasions, most recently at February’s UFC 184, where he lost to Tony Ferguson via first-round submission. He’s on track to pass UFC Hall of Famer Matt Hughes, who also has 25 fights, and could eclipse Hall of Famer Ortiz, who holds the record at 27. (Josh Koscheck also sits at 25 fights with the promotion.)

When Tibau steps into the octagon after the new system takes effect in July, he stands to benefit more than just about everyone besides divisional champions. In fact, he exceeds the number of fights required to be in the top tier of pay (16-20 UFC fights). According to an infographic generated byFightnomics, fighters such as Tibau represent just two percent of the UFC’s current roster.

Tibau, though, has a different idea of what makes tenure-based pay a good thing. Mainly, he said, you’ll see UFC fighters jumping at more opportunities.

“It will make the athletes compete harder, instead of hiding and choosing opponents,” he said. “Atheletes should compete. They should look for fights, and put on great fights. I think it helps boost the promotion.

Shocker: Gleison Tibau says UFC’s new tenure-based sponsor pay ‘will be better’ | MMAjunkie

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
agree, but the man has earned it - whatever he has earned, we'll see

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Dude has been around forever
While this is true I'm curious to how he has done financially. I realize it's none of my business but a guy with this many ufc fights is surely set for life, right?

Star-Lord

Saving the Universe one Fight at a Time
Amateur Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
While this is true I'm curious to how he has done financially. I realize it's none of my business but a guy with this many ufc fights is surely set for life, right?
Well he makes like 50k to show (as reported) so if he was smart he's probably doing well. Let me do some math real quick

Star-Lord

Saving the Universe one Fight at a Time
Amateur Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
He has a disclosed earning of 682k on tapology. I'm sure it's much higher.

WoodenPupa

Feb 14, 2015
I'd think so, if he lives wisely. Something athletes tend not to do though.

He has a disclosed earning of 682k on tapology. I'm sure it's much higher.
Say it's a million or something. With a modest lifestyle, he'd be fine for quite a long time. Guess it all depends. Some people aren't happy with a million unless other people think they have much more than that.

Pitbull9

Daddy
Jan 28, 2015
Im a huge Gleison fan always have been. At one point i thought he was on his way to the title.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
25 fights and still on the undercard
Gleison's biggest talent has been cutting 28lbs to fight at lightweight.

He has an exciting look to his style and his resume shows he obviously talented. But its a tough division and he puts together a lot of split decision losses and wins. He just can't quite break away from the pack. And when he does win over a real talent, he doesn't seem to do it convincingly.