General Shooting at Walmart in El Paso

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
I was responding to your point, and clearly I didn't say that bullets and bombs are the same thing. The point was that lighting something on fire is not the best way to kill as many people as possible, especially when a gun is an option. It's hard to predict what a fire is going to do, so yes it is a good method for terrorism, but nothing beats a gun (as showcased by the fact that the vast majority of our mass killers use guns).
So why did 2 mass shooting lead to fewer deaths than a single arson attack? Why is the death toll from America's worst mass shooting in history not as high as France's truck attack?

Your killers use guns because they're perceived to be the best, that doesn't mean they actually are.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
No we can't. Notice I didn't say "if we passed legislation taking guns away tomorrow." I was talking about a magical situation where every gun disappears. That's never happened. If we passed legislation tomorrow, and that legislation required confiscation of all guns, that's a dangerous situation that I don't endorse.
They did it in Australia. The murder rate didn't decrease at any significant level.

Andrewsimar Palhardass

Women, dinosaurs, and the violence of the octagon.
Jan 8, 2016
So why did 2 mass shooting lead to fewer deaths than a single arson attack? Why is the death toll from America's worst mass shooting in history not as high as France's truck attack?

Your killers use guns because they're perceived to be the best, that doesn't mean they actually are.
The ceiling is higher with the truck and arson. That ceiling isn't usually reached, though. It's very unpredictable. Less so than with a gun. You picked anomalies which ended up as huge "successes" for the terrorists.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
The ceiling is higher with the truck and arson. That ceiling isn't usually reached, though. It's very unpredictable. Less so than with a gun. You picked anomalies which ended up as huge "successes" for the terrorists.
They're not anomalies. In places where firearms aren't readily available the tools used change. It's as simple as that.

Andrewsimar Palhardass

Jan 8, 2016
They're not anomalies. In places where firearms aren't readily available the tools used change. It's as simple as that.
So you believe that the Japan arson and the France bus attacks are generally what happens when someone lights a building on fire or drives into a group of people? Statistically, that is not the case. That makes them anomalies.

Even this week's gun attacks were anomalies. It's just that if you want a group of people dead, the best bet is to shoot them. People get away from fires, and you never know how that truck is going to hit them. Also, with the truck, they have to be near a street or in an open area. Many fewer limitations when you have a gun in your hands.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
Statistically, that is not the case.
Are you sure? It was certainly the case when both occurred in the same area of Toronto last year. Have you thought that maybe you have that opinion because of one being over reported and the other being under reported?

Those stats don't discuss murder rates, only murder rate via firearm. There's a marked difference between the relevance of either statistic. What should be the focal point after absolutely terrible events like these is "Why are Americans so inclined to kill large numbers of other Americans?" Any conversation beyond that is mental masturbation.

Andrewsimar Palhardass

Jan 8, 2016
Also, once again, if guns aren't the best way to kill people, why fight for the right to have them if you can do the same protecting of your family and property with a truck and a can of gas? If we need guns to protect ourselves against a tyrannical government, but as you say gas, knives, and trucks also do the trick, why do we clutch guns and cite safety concerns?

(It's because guns are the best tool to use.)

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
Also, once again, if guns aren't the best way to kill people, why fight for the right to have them if you can do the same protecting of your family and property with a truck and a can of gas?
They're drastically different needs even though in theory the outcome is the same. Firearms also serve purposes outside of shooting them at people.

Andrewsimar Palhardass

Jan 8, 2016
Are you sure? It was certainly the case when both occurred in the same area of Toronto last year. Have you thought that maybe you have that opinion because of one being over reported and the other being under reported?
I don't watch the news.
Those stats don't discuss murder rates, only murder rate via firearm. There's a marked difference between the relevance of either statistic. What should be the focal point after absolutely terrible events like these is "Why are Americans so inclined to kill large numbers of other Americans?" Any conversation beyond that is mental masturbation.
I agree in the sense that the mentality that brings these people to kill is the most important aspect of this. I disagree with the assertion that guns aren't the obvious best way to kill a group of people, and I also disagree with the idea that the sheer amount of guns in this country does not add to the likelihood of mass killings.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015

Andrewsimar Palhardass

Jan 8, 2016
If that stays the way the problem will sort itself out.
I think this all comes back to the way that we communicate politically. There is rage that births rage. This is something that can be approached and mitigated through proper parenting and education. It won't be stopped by any one decision, and it certainly won't happen overnight.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
I think this all comes back to the way that we communicate politically. There is rage that births rage. This is something that can be approached and mitigated through proper parenting and education. It won't be stopped by any one decision, and it certainly won't happen overnight.
“History is filled with the sound of silken slippers going downstairs and wooden shoes coming up.”
The good news is, being part of the silk slipper crowd is a lot more fun.

SuperPig

Enjoy yourselves
Aug 7, 2015
obviously he's evil incarnate and completely insincere.

that's a Virtue Score for the other side.
Nah... but to be as successful as he is it's pretty wild that he can barely read at a level just above Floyd Mayweather.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
Nah... but to be as successful as he is it's pretty wild that he can barely read at a level just above Floyd Mayweather.
Floyd is also very 'successful' (using the same metric of success)...so maybe reading isn't that important for that kind of 'success'...

Never_Rolled

First 10,000
Dec 17, 2018
Assholes dems running for Pres. blaming Trump for the attacks. Is this really how they expect to get elected? You have to be pretty sick to want those kinds of people to elect you in the first place.

D241

Banned
Jan 14, 2015
El Paso shooter either went to the same high school as I did or graduated from it.

tang

top korean roofer
Oct 21, 2015
Just shoot these fuckers in the dick. Give them something to remember for rest of their lives. They get off too easy with all these fame and shit.

People will remember them as the dude that got their dicks shot off.

Also makes a good example out of em, makes others think twice before thinking of shooting up innocent people.