General Should people with a felony conviction be allowed to vote ?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Poiupoiu

50 cents per post
Oct 26, 2015
i say yes, if they have met all matters. time severed, probation, restitution, etc..

most matter include restitution to the victims

most dont pay

is that racist ?

being debated in florida

BrunoMcGyver

Bruno no dey carry last
Dec 30, 2015
Yes, if they've done the time and carried out their entire punishment then they should vote if they wish.

Poiupoiu

50 cents per post
Oct 26, 2015
the issue in florida, most can not pay the restitution

and it also happens to most that most of those are african american

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Imo, absolutely.
However, during every convicts time, they should be taught the truth about their country's justice system, history, constitution, government etc.

Jesus X

4 drink minimum.
Sep 7, 2015
seems like a slippery slope if you restore those rights you also have to restore their ability to buy a gun legally and other rights they lost by being a felon that they would be voting on.

M

member 3289

if they are voting on on those issues they should be allowed to have those rights or else what is the point of having them vote.
You're right that they will be able to vote on restoring gun ownership rights, but it doesn't mean that gun ownership restoration is going to pass.

In Florida an amendment needs 60% approval by voters to pass. The issue with the voting rights restoration thing is that we approved it 2 years ago and the state has been doing what it can to stop the will of the people by placing exorbitant fees on restoration.

Most states have ended felon disenfranchisement. Only 3 states still have it.

M

member 3289

Depends on the crime, rapists, murderers and paedophiles deserve no rights.
Interesting you mention that. While reading about the Florida issue I saw this:

On November 6, 2018, Florida voters approved Amendment 4, an amendment to the state constitution to automatically restore voting rights to convicted felons who have served their sentences. Lifetime bans still apply for those convicted of either murder or sexual offenses.

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Interesting you mention that. While reading about the Florida issue I saw this:

On November 6, 2018, Florida voters approved Amendment 4, an amendment to the state constitution to automatically restore voting rights to convicted felons who have served their sentences. Lifetime bans still apply for those convicted of either murder or sexual offenses.
That seems like a reasonable stance, imo.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
seems like a slippery slope if you restore those rights you also have to restore their ability to buy a gun legally and other rights they lost by being a felon that they would be voting on.
I don't see why?
You don't "have to" do one because you do the other.