Should the UFC create a retirement program for fighters?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Should the UFC create a retirement program for fighters?

• Total voters

Lamont Cranston

Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Should Zuffa have some kind of program that puts funds into a retirement vehicle for fighters?

Also, what should it look like?

(ie - per fight a certain amount is put into a 401k)

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Yes. I've been preaching this for years. Take whatever the fighters purse is, add 6% to it, and invest it into a mutual fund/401k for them...managed by brokerage. If the fighters want to invest into it themselves, they can...but I think Zuffa owes it to these guys and girls, to make sure they are investing in the fighters futures after fighting.

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Whatever happened with leben never having paid taxes?

Ufc should have hr and financial departments that help these guys take care of all this shit.

there should be something in place regarding health, every time I think of a good idea though my evil side thinks how I could exploit it and it wouldn't really be a good idea.

Dammit

SongExotic2

First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Every action has an opposite (and possible exploitI've in this case)reaction

I'd like to see a fair system in which fighters are taken care of for injuries obtained in the ufc. I was thinking a set number of fights could kick in the plan but then we would see fighters possibly point fighting to get to said number.

I just wrote a really long post and then changed my mind. Again I have ideas but then I see flaws in such.

Ultimately I'd like fighters to be covered somehow even if they had to meet certain requirements. I just can't figure out what I'd call certain

Feb 7, 2015
Whatever happened with leben never having paid taxes?

Ufc should have hr and financial departments that help these guys take care of all this shit.

there should be something in place regarding health, every time I think of a good idea though my evil side thinks how I could exploit it and it wouldn't really be a good idea.

Dammit
As independent contractors, the fighters are paid on a 1099, which means the UFC does not withhold taxes and such for them.

I personally think the fighters should be hired as employees with a salary for a contracted period and then bonused based on performance. That way they can be sure of a monthly paycheck while training and still get rewarded for entertaining fights.

Mertvaya Ruka

Feb 14, 2015
Sure, however Zuffa is happy to treat the fighters as contractors to avoid things like this. However, for sponsorships, they're treated like employees. The distinction is part of the lawsuit. You should be asking is it in Zuffa's financial interest to make a retirement fund?

SongExotic2

First 100
Jan 16, 2015
An example I'll use is Carlo Prater.

He had many fights before his ufc debut and got his egg whites scrambled in what was ultimately declared a DQ for illegal strikes. Let's pretend he went the way of gerald mcclellan

McClellan was forced to retire from boxing after a severe brain injury suffered during his final fight, a loss to world super middleweightchampion Nigel Benn, left him blind, nearly totally deaf, and unable to walk. (Stole that blurb from wiki)

Who covers this scenario? Could it be proven beyond reasonable doubt he hadn't suffered permanent damage in his 30+ fights before his debut?

Should the comission and ufc doctors be accountable and have to bring in brains cans prior to all fights?

Erik silva for breaking the rules? (Most of them were legal let's pretend they were all bad) in a sporting code of conduct he agreed to.

Or the ufc should cover the costs for a guy who lasted 30 seconds in his debut, knew the risks, signed a shitty contract in hopes of earning more someday, and got unlucky?

What if chuck still had X amount of fights on contract and took the ufc to court for not honoring them? court says honor or release.
Dana reluctantly signs chuck to fight after a messy campaign (he wouldn't release him to strikeforce, come on) and then chuck gets mcclellan 'd

Does the ufc owe chuck around the clock medical care for the rest of his life? The answer gears towards yes as he spent the majority of his mma career there and suffered multiple knockouts there.

Cro cop suffered the majority of his knockouts there

Royce Gracie was the winner of 3 of the first 4 ufcs, if he needs hip surgery when he's 65 is that the ufcs obligation?

I'm not shilling. I think I'm asking legit liability points but admittedly my brain is a bit frazzled today

Feb 7, 2015
Sure, however Zuffa is happy to treat the fighters as contractors to avoid things like this. However, for sponsorships, they're treated like employees. The distinction is part of the lawsuit. You should be asking is it in Zuffa's financial interest to make a retirement fund?
If the lawsuit determines that the fighters are indeed employees and not ICs, then the IRS could fine the UFC for back-owed payroll taxes on all the fighter salaries. It will never happen but wow if it did...

Mertvaya Ruka

Feb 14, 2015
If the lawsuit determines that the fighters are indeed employees and not ICs, then the IRS could fine the UFC for back-owed payroll taxes on all the fighter salaries. It will never happen but wow if it did...
Yeah, what a shitstorm it would be. Last I heard Zuffa moved to get the case dismissed, not sure what happened with that.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Yeah, what a shitstorm it would be. Last I heard Zuffa moved to get the case dismissed, not sure what happened with that.
Well, first they petitioned to have it moved to Nevada. Lolz. That ain't happening.

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
A lot is riding on the lawsuit. If that fails, I wouldn't expect to see anything like this for another 10 years or so.

M

Morpheushasleftthebuilding

they are indepent contractors for the UFC, so they don't have the deal with the aftermath.

GJdeux

It's SAND
Mar 2, 2015
I"m torn on this. I usually come down on the side of-it's the fighters responsibility to have their own 401K and such. Maybe they can have someone talk to the fighters about it, but ultimately it's the fighters responsibility to look out for themselves-just like any other independent contractor and such. I don't think the UFC should pay for injuries years later. It's not a desk job and there will be issues that pop up from previous injuries. I was injured at work. The employer took care of it...now years later there is something that is related to that which is a chronic injury. I got paid a nice sum for my troubles, and was expected to use that money for future issues. In a business where getting injured is part of the deal, I just can't see how the UFC should be responsible for the long term.

Having said that, I wish the big names would get behind each other and form a union so issues like this can be resolved. I do believe most of them are underpaid and they have to put up with a lot of shit-like this Reebok deal.

Silverball

Feb 24, 2015
There should be a fighter's union in both MMA and boxing, and percentages of television monies and pay per views should be set aside for fighters who need a helping hand when their careers are over. Not every fighter is Mayweather or GSP, but they're all contributing to the bigger picture in a sport where a small handful of fighters, and promoters make money hand over fist.