Signed up for BJJ

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Filthy

Bad. Like Jesse James
Jun 28, 2016
Sparing less isn’t the answer though. Sparring smart is. I know a few guys in the 50+ age range, one of whom is now 70. They all roll a ton, but do it with the guys they know aren’t going to hurt them, and go at a pace more suitable for them(think glacier movement).

I really think it comes down to finding good training partners, who aren’t trying to stroke their ego by tapping every single person in the gym.
100%.
most people don't know how to spar when they're white belts, they just know how to struggle.
but I'm all about the gym vibe. some guys have goals that are belts or medals, don't roll hard with those guys.
find the guys who have the goal of rolling when they're 85. Roll with them a lot.
;)

SAJ

Posting Machine
Aug 2, 2015
100%.
most people don't know how to spar when they're white belts, they just know how to struggle.
but I'm all about the gym vibe. some guys have goals that are belts or medals, don't roll hard with those guys.
find the guys who have the goal of rolling when they're 85. Roll with them a lot.
;)
I’m getting ready to compete again in 2 week, 25 YO, purple belt. Whoever rolls with me over the next few weeks is getting blitzed! :mad::mad:

RussfromNH

Get off my lawn!
Dec 12, 2018
Second week in warm up is getting better. I don’t feel like I’m going to puke anymore. Did 4 classes last week Mon Tue Thur Fri, I intend to keep up that schedule for now. Nursing my first weeks injuries, left Achilles and the right calf. Injuries were my own fault, trying to keep up with the youngsters during warm up proved to be foolish.

Rolling last night felt better. Still gassing way to fast. I had a lapel choke on a higher rank but let it go fairly quick. I felt the choke was weak as fck and didn’t want to waist more energy with it than I did already. Afterwards he asked why I abandoned it so fast, said he was about to tap. I told him it didn’t feel strong enough on my end so I gave up on it, he said I shouldn’t have that it was tight and it really surprised him when I did let it go and moved on.

TheFifthScallop @Thefifthscallop "...go at a pace more suitable for them(think glacier movement)" This is in the back of my head all the time now!

TheFifthScallop

Who am I kidding? I’m a whore.
Amateur Fighter
Nov 15, 2015
Second week in warm up is getting better. I don’t feel like I’m going to puke anymore. Did 4 classes last week Mon Tue Thur Fri, I intend to keep up that schedule for now. Nursing my first weeks injuries, left Achilles and the right calf. Injuries were my own fault, trying to keep up with the youngsters during warm up proved to be foolish.

Rolling last night felt better. Still gassing way to fast. I had a lapel choke on a higher rank but let it go fairly quick. I felt the choke was weak as fck and didn’t want to waist more energy with it than I did already. Afterwards he asked why I abandoned it so fast, said he was about to tap. I told him it didn’t feel strong enough on my end so I gave up on it, he said I shouldn’t have that it was tight and it really surprised him when I did let it go and moved on.

TheFifthScallop @Thefifthscallop "...go at a pace more suitable for them(think glacier movement)" This is in the back of my head all the time now!
Thats really great to hear, man! I’m glad that I’m in your thoughts.

Keep going. Consistency is the key to getting better, and it sounds like you’ve found a great training schedule. At 4 days a week, you will progress fairly quickly. Keep me updated on how it all goes. I’ll keep an eye on this thread and check back.

Jesus X

loved BBW, died doing what he loved.
Sep 7, 2015
I start on Monday, at 59yo I have a lot of time on my hands now and thought why not

a little nervous, zero cardio over the years so i'll probably puke inside 15 minutes but I'm excited
I would say inside of 5 mins lol BJJ is rougher on cardio than boxing. I was gassed after 5 mins round and I had boxed and done MT before doing bjj it is a different type of cardio needed there it pushes your muscles more.

EDIT:BARELY NOTICED THIS THREAD IS A FEW WEEKS OLD LOL.