Signed up for BJJ

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
Sparing less isn’t the answer though. Sparring smart is. I know a few guys in the 50+ age range, one of whom is now 70. They all roll a ton, but do it with the guys they know aren’t going to hurt them, and go at a pace more suitable for them(think glacier movement).

I really think it comes down to finding good training partners, who aren’t trying to stroke their ego by tapping every single person in the gym.
100%.
most people don't know how to spar when they're white belts, they just know how to struggle.
but I'm all about the gym vibe. some guys have goals that are belts or medals, don't roll hard with those guys.
find the guys who have the goal of rolling when they're 85. Roll with them a lot.
;)

SAJ

Posting Machine
Aug 2, 2015
100%.
most people don't know how to spar when they're white belts, they just know how to struggle.
but I'm all about the gym vibe. some guys have goals that are belts or medals, don't roll hard with those guys.
find the guys who have the goal of rolling when they're 85. Roll with them a lot.
;)
I’m getting ready to compete again in 2 week, 25 YO, purple belt. Whoever rolls with me over the next few weeks is getting blitzed! :mad::mad:

RussfromNH

Live Free or Die
Dec 12, 2018
Second week in warm up is getting better. I don’t feel like I’m going to puke anymore. Did 4 classes last week Mon Tue Thur Fri, I intend to keep up that schedule for now. Nursing my first weeks injuries, left Achilles and the right calf. Injuries were my own fault, trying to keep up with the youngsters during warm up proved to be foolish.

Rolling last night felt better. Still gassing way to fast. I had a lapel choke on a higher rank but let it go fairly quick. I felt the choke was weak as fck and didn’t want to waist more energy with it than I did already. Afterwards he asked why I abandoned it so fast, said he was about to tap. I told him it didn’t feel strong enough on my end so I gave up on it, he said I shouldn’t have that it was tight and it really surprised him when I did let it go and moved on.

TheFifthScallop @Thefifthscallop "...go at a pace more suitable for them(think glacier movement)" This is in the back of my head all the time now!

TheFifthScallop

Who am I kidding? I’m a whore.
Amateur Fighter
Nov 15, 2015
Second week in warm up is getting better. I don’t feel like I’m going to puke anymore. Did 4 classes last week Mon Tue Thur Fri, I intend to keep up that schedule for now. Nursing my first weeks injuries, left Achilles and the right calf. Injuries were my own fault, trying to keep up with the youngsters during warm up proved to be foolish.

Rolling last night felt better. Still gassing way to fast. I had a lapel choke on a higher rank but let it go fairly quick. I felt the choke was weak as fck and didn’t want to waist more energy with it than I did already. Afterwards he asked why I abandoned it so fast, said he was about to tap. I told him it didn’t feel strong enough on my end so I gave up on it, he said I shouldn’t have that it was tight and it really surprised him when I did let it go and moved on.

TheFifthScallop @Thefifthscallop "...go at a pace more suitable for them(think glacier movement)" This is in the back of my head all the time now!
Thats really great to hear, man! I’m glad that I’m in your thoughts.

Keep going. Consistency is the key to getting better, and it sounds like you’ve found a great training schedule. At 4 days a week, you will progress fairly quickly. Keep me updated on how it all goes. I’ll keep an eye on this thread and check back.

Jesus X

4 drink minimum.
Sep 7, 2015
I start on Monday, at 59yo I have a lot of time on my hands now and thought why not

a little nervous, zero cardio over the years so i'll probably puke inside 15 minutes but I'm excited
I would say inside of 5 mins lol BJJ is rougher on cardio than boxing. I was gassed after 5 mins round and I had boxed and done MT before doing bjj it is a different type of cardio needed there it pushes your muscles more.

EDIT:BARELY NOTICED THIS THREAD IS A FEW WEEKS OLD LOL.

Kingtony87

Batman
Feb 2, 2016
Started second week of December myself. Going twice a week. Loving it so far. Watching it as long as I have and being a bit husky I can roll with a few of the blue belts and stay safe most of the time. I can muscle my way to top and have good balance and pressure from there. Feels super unfair if I’m rolling with other smaller whit belts. I’ve scored a few arm triangle chokes and one rear naked on a couple of the other whites. Struggling with what to do once I gain dominant position. However I feel like I’m moving at a good pace. Still getting used to the gi and having grips.

almost puked after warm up the first time. Finally getting to where I can roll 2-4 different people in a row and not need a big break in between. Learning to pace my movements (definitely still doing this) helped a lot. I got hit with like 5 Ezekiel’s in the first few weeks but have gotten better at defending them. Super loving it.

Kingtony87

Batman
Feb 2, 2016
RussfromNH @RussfromNH how’s it been going? Still sticking with it?

Ive pulled/torn stuff in both shoulders since starting and have had to take some time off to heal. I’m just about to leave for open mat though. I’m definitely hooked still though.

Also my Gi came in and damn it’s a totally different game. So many more handles and stuff to be worried about

Super Dave

The party’s over
Dec 28, 2015
I randomly ran into an old bjj friend. He’s been training with a group out of his garage and he invited me to come out.
Had my first go in years. Everything aches but it felt great to get back on the mats!

Kingtony87

Batman
Feb 2, 2016
I randomly ran into an old bjj friend. He’s been training with a group out of his garage and he invited me to come out.
Had my first go in years. Everything aches but it felt great to get back on the mats!
Nice. The only other guy who showed up to open mat yesterday was 270 lbs and a purple belt sand bagging as a blue. I also ache.

RussfromNH

Live Free or Die
Dec 12, 2018
RussfromNH @RussfromNH how’s it been going? Still sticking with it?

Ive pulled/torn stuff in both shoulders since starting and have had to take some time off to heal. I’m just about to leave for open mat though. I’m definitely hooked still though.

Also my Gi came in and damn it’s a totally different game. So many more handles and stuff to be worried about
Yup and still loving it!!!! Got my blue belt!!
Pulled my achilles tendon, sprained my right wrist, developed elbow bursitis along with an infection in my elbow.

LMAO I'm finding everyone loves to roll with "the old guy" now! Some people, esp the new B's enjoy working on technique and not worry about getting hurt. Depending on who i'm working with, I'll let positions or limbs linger longer than normal just to help them develop.
I've even had people shake my hand and thank me for the inspiration, WTfck I'm not that old!!!

I've boxed and did the TDK thing for years, similarly i'm learning how to "feed people things" just long enough to bait people or set them up, this opened up an amazing rabbit hole for me. Lots of lightbulb moments!

It's cool going on hikes and chilling with other students, made some good/new friends along the way as well.
like I said still loving it!!!!
Good Luck!!!

Kingtony87

Batman
Feb 2, 2016
Yup and still loving it!!!! Got my blue belt!!
Pulled my achilles tendon, sprained my right wrist, developed elbow bursitis along with an infection in my elbow.

LMAO I'm finding everyone loves to roll with "the old guy" now! Some people, esp the new B's enjoy working on technique and not worry about getting hurt. Depending on who i'm working with, I'll let positions or limbs linger longer than normal just to help them develop.
I've even had people shake my hand and thank me for the inspiration, WTfck I'm not that old!!!

I've boxed and did the TDK thing for years, similarly i'm learning how to "feed people things" just long enough to bait people or set them up, this opened up an amazing rabbit hole for me. Lots of lightbulb moments!

It's cool going on hikes and chilling with other students, made some good/new friends along the way as well.
like I said still loving it!!!!
Good Luck!!!
That’s awesome man. Congrats on the blue. Definitely hurts a bit starting so late but I’m recovering better and better each time. I’ve found myself rolling mostly with the blues as it pushes me and forces me to think adapt my game. But while also not getting steamrolled like I do with our black belt. I caught my first Americana tonight on one of our better whites and am still riding high!

RussfromNH

Live Free or Die
Dec 12, 2018
That’s awesome man. Congrats on the blue. Definitely hurts a bit starting so late but I’m recovering better and better each time. I’ve found myself rolling mostly with the blues as it pushes me and forces me to think adapt my game. But while also not getting steamrolled like I do with our black belt. I caught my first Americana tonight on one of our better whites and am still riding high!

RussfromNH

Live Free or Die
Dec 12, 2018
It's never too late to start anything bud! Hang in there and all the best!!
I'm finding BJJ keeps you humble af I love when I can catch and sink anything!! most of the time it's been accidental kinda like "oh look what I found"

Again be safe and hang in there!!

Super Dave

The party’s over
Dec 28, 2015
After being away for so long I’m back to learning and survival, not that I was that far along before the covid break.

I think people might think I’m a psychopath because I’m constantly laughing when I get swept or submitted. It’s just so much fun.

Super Dave

The party’s over
Dec 28, 2015
I think people might think I’m a psychopath because I’m constantly laughing when I get swept or submitted. It’s just so much fun.
Part of me is hoping a cool nickname comes out of it like “The Joker” or “The Hyena” or something that I don’t come up with myself.

Kingtony87

Batman
Feb 2, 2016
After being away for so long I’m back to learning and survival, not that I was that far along before the covid break.

Definitely hard for me not to talk commentary while laughing as I’m rolling.

Kingtony87

Batman
Feb 2, 2016
That is a nice washer and dryer setup I have those ghetto washer and dryers you stack side by side top loading cheap ones.
one of my favorite parts of the house we bought was the standing washer and dryer upstairs instead of in the basement.