General Skynet becomes self-aware

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

ShatsBassoon

Throwing bombs & banging moms
First 100
Jan 14, 2015

View: https://medium.com/swlh/the-terminator-isnt-real-but-it-will-be-soon-get-ready-749773b07034

The Terminator franchise wouldn’t be complete without the series arch-villain. As it turns out, Skynet is already here, and according to Ars Technica, it’s already killed “thousands of people”:

“SkyNet engages in mass surveillance of Pakistan’s mobile phone network, and then uses a machine learning algorithm on the cellular network metadata of 55 million people to try and rate each person’s likelihood of being a terrorist.”
Today’s SkyNet is an NSA surveillance program that isn’t self-aware, and it doesn’t directly control weapons systems — unlike the ambitious Strategic Computing project, back when DARPA Tried to Build Skynet in the 1980s:

“The system was supposed to create a world where autonomous vehicles not only provide intelligence on any enemy worldwide, but could strike with deadly precision from land, sea, and air. It was to be a global network that connected every aspect of the U.S. military’s technological capabilities — capabilities that depended on new, impossibly fast computers.”
Those impossibly fast computers exist today, and DARPA hasn’t given up on the idea, they’ve simply rebranded it “Assured Autonomy”. The goal remains the same: creating systems able to “accomplish goals independently, or with minimal supervision from human operators in environments that are complex and unpredictable.”

ShatsBassoon

Throwing bombs & banging moms
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Fun fact: In 'The Terminator' when Arnie says "I'll be back" it's actually foreshadowing when he comes back, later on in the movie.

Last edited:

Wintermute

Putin is gay
Apr 24, 2015
They have mounted guns on those robot "dogs" Boston Dynamic made, if I'm not mistaken. Narrow AI is also already in-use; Google driverless cars, Google search, etc are all AI powered. Considering the military is usually about 10 years ahead of civilian-use tech, I'd say they are using wide AI already.

M

member 3289

They have mounted guns on those robot "dogs" Boston Dynamic made, if I'm not mistaken. Narrow AI is also already in-use; Google driverless cars, Google search, etc are all AI powered. Considering the military is usually about 10 years ahead of civilian-use tech, I'd say they are using wide AI already.
Don't forget Tesla's driverless mode

1635178876903.png