General Smartphone recommendations

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015

I actually switched to LG after 2 of my samsung galaxy phones galaxy phones just quit working after maybe 10 months each. LG has never let me down my old lg stylo 5 still works even though I have the 6 now.
Not for much longer muchacho. They are finito

M

member 3289

I actually switched to LG after 2 of my samsung galaxy phones galaxy phones just quit working after maybe 10 months each. LG has never let me down my old lg stylo 5 still works even though I have the 6 now.
My Samsung Galaxy S7 has been going strong for 5 years. I switched from HTC (no longer making smartphones iirc) because I always had mechanical problems with them, but this Galaxy S7 Edge is a god damn tank.

The screen is cracked but it doesn't hinder me in any way so I haven't bothered replacing it. Samsung stopped updating after Android 8.0 so I'm finna have to replace it soon, but in terms of performance it really hasn't let me down. Occasionally I need to do some cleaning up to clear some space on the internal hard drive but that's not a big deal.

I've had 2 LG smartphones and I have never been disappointed with the longevity of the phone.

SongExotic2

First 100
Jan 16, 2015
I've had 2 LG smartphones and I have never been disappointed with the longevity of the phone.
Think I had one. I got the s7 when it came out. Broke it. Got a replacement. Broke it, this was inside a month or two of release, And said okay no mas. So I purchased a LG phone for a hundred dollars or so and used it for a year. Eventually I broke it too and then got another big boy phone.

Shame they going out of business, but they just can't handle the ?

ShatsBassoon

Throwing bombs & banging moms
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
My Samsung Galaxy S7 has been going strong for 5 years. I switched from HTC (no longer making smartphones iirc) because I always had mechanical problems with them, but this Galaxy S7 Edge is a god damn tank.

The screen is cracked but it doesn't hinder me in any way so I haven't bothered replacing it. Samsung stopped updating after Android 8.0 so I'm finna have to replace it soon, but in terms of performance it really hasn't let me down. Occasionally I need to do some cleaning up to clear some space on the internal hard drive but that's not a big deal.
S7 active was probably best phone I've ever had. No idea why they didn't continue the active series, probably because they rarely broke.

RaginCajun

The Reigning Undisputed Monsters Tournament Champ
Oct 25, 2015
Anybody here switched from android to iphone or iphone to android?
Wondering what your thoughts are from both?

Qat

QoQ
Nov 3, 2015
I have an Android privately and an IPhone for work.

The IPhone is an ecosystem similar to what Samsung (and to an extend Xiaomi) brings to the table. A normal user will have everything that is needed in a uniform ui, and you will reliably get updates.

However the apple mail client is cumbersome to use for me + the phone forwarding is awful. Calls I took in the office are being shown as missed calls on the iPhone etc. This bugs me, but I do not know whether it wouldn't be the same on an Android, or whether my employer is to blame there.

Android there is much to choose from and you can play around with it a lot. Personally I like to take a stock Android or even custom rom and assemble my app package myself, but most users prolly prefer to have an attuned product like Samsung offers.
Generally Android phones are ahead in technology, and will oftentimes still be cheaper and offer a much greater range of products to chose from.

A switch from one to the other will be easy if you switch from or to Samsung or Xiaomi. I'd guess it's sometimes hard to say whether Apple stole from Samsung or the other way around. Either way, if you aren't technologically inept, you won't have many problems.

If you switch from an IPhone to let's say a Nokia, you will find out that you need to install apps for a couple things you might take for granted otherwise. On the other hand, you won't have much stuff installed that might be useless for you, clogging up the device.

As far as LG goes, I actually like the brand. Their display technology is really good. But they fucked up the smartphone business with bad decisions. It is what it is.

SongExotic2

First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Yes but about ten years ago. Switched from IPhone to android. Never looked back. And I really liked my iPhone back then, basically I think iPhone is for mongaloids. It's like a kids version of a phone for dummies. There's so much more you can do with Android.

M

member 3289

I have an Android privately and an IPhone for work.

The IPhone is an ecosystem similar to what Samsung (and to an extend Xiaomi) brings to the table. A normal user will have everything that is needed in a uniform ui, and you will reliably get updates.

However the apple mail client is cumbersome to use for me + the phone forwarding is awful. Calls I took in the office are being shown as missed calls on the iPhone etc. This bugs me, but I do not know whether it wouldn't be the same on an Android, or whether my employer is to blame there.

Android there is much to choose from and you can play around with it a lot. Personally I like to take a stock Android or even custom rom and assemble my app package myself, but most users prolly prefer to have an attuned product like Samsung offers.
Generally Android phones are ahead in technology, and will oftentimes still be cheaper and offer a much greater range of products to chose from.

A switch from one to the other will be easy if you switch from or to Samsung or Xiaomi. I'd guess it's sometimes hard to say whether Apple stole from Samsung or the other way around. Either way, if you aren't technologically inept, you won't have many problems.

If you switch from an IPhone to let's say a Nokia, you will find out that you need to install apps for a couple things you might take for granted otherwise. On the other hand, you won't have much stuff installed that might be useless for you, clogging up the device.

As far as LG goes, I actually like the brand. Their display technology is really good. But they fucked up the smartphone business with bad decisions. It is what it is.
I've heard good things about Xiaomi from a Singapore-based friend. The company isn't big in the U.S. but it's also managed to escape the same scrutiny as Huawei.

OnePlus is another Chinese brand that hasn't been heavily scrutinized here, but only dorks like SongExotic2 @SongExotic2 buy those phones.

Edit - just learned that Xiaomi doesn't sell their phones here.

Last edited by a moderator:
M

member 3289

I advise most iPhone users against switching to Android. It's a less user-friendly system that, comparatively speaking, makes you do a lot more to get the phone the way you want it.

Going from Android to iOS would be a very seamless process. I've considered switching to an iPhone in the past. I don't know if I'll ever actually do it, though.

Qat

QoQ
Nov 3, 2015
I've heard good things about Xiaomi from a Singapore-based friend. The company isn't big in the U.S. but it's also managed to escape the same scrutiny as Huawei.

OnePlus is another Chinese brand that hasn't been heavily scrutinized here, but only dorks like SongExotic2 @SongExotic2 buy those phones.

Xiaomi is a big player in China, but are still new in Europe. When entering the market, they offered insanely good prices for their phones here. Now they are a little bit more costly, but still well below comparable Samsung and Apple devices, while offering high-end technology and similar quality.

They are trying a similar tactic software - wise to both of them, but the update - policy still remains to be seen over a longer term.
However, I think they syphon and sell quite a bit of data as well.

Huawei is in a weird spot at the moment. Technology - wise they are absolutely up there, but we will see regarding software. I haven't seen their own OS yet, but I'd be surprised if it will be a hit outside of China.

But I thought Xiaomi was a target of US sanctions as well but did win in court or something?

M

member 3289

But I thought Xiaomi was a target of US sanctions as well but did win in court or something?
I don't even remember this, but yeah it won in court.

U.S. sanctions

In January 2021, the United States government named Xiaomi as a company "owned or controlled" by the People's Liberation Army and thereby prohibited any American company or individual from investing in it. However, the investment ban was blocked by a US court ruling after Xiaomi filed a lawsuit in the United States District Court for the District of Columbia, with the court expressing skepticism regarding the government's national security concerns. Xiaomi denied the allegations of military ties and stated that its products and services were of civilian and commercial use.

SongExotic2

First 100
Jan 16, 2015

I used to buy the most expensive smart phone on the market. Made shopping easy. Then I got a OnePlus with all its RAM from a coworker. He ordered it and dropped it taking it out the box. He has mega OCD and it had a tiny mark on its top corner so it was no good to him. I was amazed at how fast it was compared to Samsung, LG. I'm on my third one now and will never go back to another brand (unless something happens obviously) the performance is night and day.

M

member 3289

I used to buy the most expensive smart phone on the market. Made shopping easy. Then I got a OnePlus with all its RAM from a coworker. He ordered it and dropped it taking it out the box. He has mega OCD and it had a tiny mark on its top corner so it was no good to him. I was amazed at how fast it was compared to Samsung, LG. I'm on my third one now and will never go back to another brand (unless something happens obviously) the performance is night and day.
Very good price tag compared to the S20, which starts at $999

Screenshot_20210406-095128_Tuesdays.jpg

RaginCajun

Oct 25, 2015
But how much :ram: does yours have?

Last edited:

RaginCajun

Oct 25, 2015
Doesn't matter. I'm gonna buy the newest one later this year.
I also have pixel 4a that is through my employer but I have no idea how good it actually is because it is locked with all kinds of security and apps through my employer.

SongExotic2

First 100
Jan 16, 2015
I also have pixel 4a that is through my employer but I have no idea how good it actually is because it is locked with all kinds of security and apps through my employer.
I hate company stuff. Those cocksuckers gave me two laptops that I couldn't do shit on. So I used to have to take my own laptop too. At the airport they made you put laptops in an individual bin. So I'd wind up with 4-5 bins going thru TSA.

I'd rather not have anything company provided if I had a choice. Shit used to wind me up

RaginCajun

Oct 25, 2015
I hate company stuff. Those cocksuckers gave me two laptops that I couldn't do shit on. So I used to have to take my own laptop too. At the airport they made you put laptops in an individual bin. So I'd wind up with 4-5 bins going thru TSA.

I'd rather not have anything company provided if I had a choice. Shit used to wind me up
Yep, I have to carry around 2 phones now. Pain in the ass.

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
I recommend the Teracube 2. It's somewhat modular, has a replaceable battery, has very good battery life and a headphone jack, is relatively ethically made and comes with 4 years of no questions asked replacements if it gets messed up. I have the Teracube 1 and had some problems with my first one, but they immediately replaced it and I haven't had any problems since. Also it's very affordable, but not cheaply made.

SongExotic2

First 100
Jan 16, 2015
I recommend the Teracube 2. It's somewhat modular, has a replaceable battery, has very good battery life and a headphone jack, is relatively ethically made and comes with 4 years of no questions asked replacements if it gets messed up. I have the Teracube 1 and had some problems with my first one, but they immediately replaced it and I haven't had any problems since. Also it's very affordable, but not cheaply made.
Sounds like some shit off Stargate. How much RAM does it have?