Lifestyle So I guess I quit smoking?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Coast

Land of the Prince Bishops
Oct 18, 2017
A report from Public Health England (part of the Department for Health and Social Care)

https://assets.publishing.service.g...on_for_evidence_based_policy_and_practice.pdf

Cliffs -
  • There has been a rise in e-cigarette use that has been matched by a corresponding decrease in smoking.
  • E-cigarettes are now the most popular quitting aid in England.
  • There is good-quality evidence that e-cigarettes can be effective in helping people quit smoking.
  • While data on their long-term safety is unavailable, expert opinion is that e-cigarettes are around 95% safer than smoking.
  • When used as intended, e-cigarettes pose no risk of nicotine poisoning.
  • E-cigarettes release negligible amounts of nicotine into the environment, and no health risks to bystanders (e.g. passive smoking) have been identified.

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
A report from Public Health England (part of the Department for Health and Social Care)

https://assets.publishing.service.g...on_for_evidence_based_policy_and_practice.pdf

Cliffs -
  • There has been a rise in e-cigarette use that has been matched by a corresponding decrease in smoking.
  • E-cigarettes are now the most popular quitting aid in England.
  • There is good-quality evidence that e-cigarettes can be effective in helping people quit smoking.
  • While data on their long-term safety is unavailable, expert opinion is that e-cigarettes are around 95% safer than smoking.
  • When used as intended, e-cigarettes pose no risk of nicotine poisoning.
  • E-cigarettes release negligible amounts of nicotine into the environment, and no health risks to bystanders (e.g. passive smoking) have been identified.
See even Bruce Leigh knows what's up

SongExotic2

First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Patches. Seriously. I’m delaying my giving up again but they actually worked for me. Itchy as fuck but if I’d not had a bit of a nightmare going on in my life I was done with it for 5 weeks last year.

Can’t say it had a dramatic effect on me health wise but I was still happy I was a non smoker. Even after I was done with the patches I was still able to pop out with people who wanted to go out and smoke.
Shut up

Lubaolong

Jan 21, 2019
There is good-quality evidence that e-cigarettes can be effective in helping people quit smoking.
Not really. There’s a reason it’s not an FDA approved smoking cessation treatment. We can talk more about the studies if you want after I get off work. If you don’t really care and are just trolling, just let me know so I don’t wast my time.

While data on their long-term safety is unavailable, expert opinion is that e-cigarettes are around 95% safer than smoking.
“Expert opinion” meaning some public health people in England, as I mentioned earlier. This is certainly not a consensus opinion.

no health risks to bystanders (e.g. passive smoking) have been identified.
“This is very new habit, so no health risks to bystanders have been studied/found yet” is probably more accurate.

Coast

Land of the Prince Bishops
Oct 18, 2017
Not really. There’s a reason it’s not an FDA approved smoking cessation treatment. We can talk more about the studies if you want after I get off work. If you don’t really care and are just trolling, just let me know so I don’t wast my time.

“Expert opinion” meaning some public health people in England, as I mentioned earlier. This is certainly not a consensus opinion.

“This is very new habit, so no health risks to bystanders have been studied/found yet” is probably more accurate.
Sure, I don't mind discussing it.

Public Health England is a government agency - Public Health England

PHE's mission is "to protect and improve the nation’s health and to address inequalities". It employs 5,000 staff (full-time equivalent), who are mostly scientists, researchers and public health professionals. It announced plans to move its headquarters and 2,750 staff to Harlow on a former GlaxoSmithKline site in 2017.

Heres a statement from the actual NHS - E-cigarettes | Smokefree

An estimated 2.9 million adults in Great Britain currently use e-cigarettes and of these, 1.5 million people have completely stopped smoking cigarettes. They carry a fraction of the risk of cigarettes and can be particularly effective when combined with extra quitting support.

The NHS hates smokers to begin with because of the strain they put on the service, if for a second they thought vaping was worse than smoking cigarettes they would condemn it.

I personally know 6 people in my close circle who have quit smoking with the help of vape, including my self. Everyone of them reports improved general health after switching. One of those people have also quit the vape, while the rest of still vape.

I'm not saying vaping is good for you, it almost certainly isn't and in the future evidence may come to light that makes them more dangerous the cigarettes (but I doubt it). At least for now, the foreseeable future, and probably ever, they are a safer alternative.

Last edited:

Yossarian

TMMAC Addict
Oct 25, 2015
So Big Pharma, Big Tobacco, and the CDC are all in on this conspiracy?
Yes, and the FDA as well. Why is weed still illegal in most places? No reason whatsoever! Yup, those guys. Betta belie dat!
If you have a study by the CDC that states vaping is “far safer” than smoking, then let’s see it, because I don’t think it exists.
Well, they do.
Public health officials in some countries like the UK are more optimistic about vaping than a lot of people
Because they don't have the FDA and CDC, etc drumming down on them. The US is made out of industries, you think they're gonna let go of profit? War On Drugs should explain enough.
because e-cigs do have less cancer causing substances than cigarettes.
So do McDonald burgers, and diet Pepsi. Which are consumed by the millions without a question. Vegetable Gycerine for example, is used by the food industry for years, no one bats an eye. It's in medication, we put the shit in our eyes, rub it on our skin, it's used in applications help to treat asthma, no one bats an eye. These chemicals are not something new. We have ingested it, in all kinds of ways for years. But vaping? Oh no we dying up here. Go smoke, quick!

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
This is true, and kind of common sense.

But if it was that easy, we would'nt be having this conversation. It's mostly iterated by non-smokers who have no idea what they're talking about.
so true
I never smoked Nic

Lubaolong

Jan 21, 2019
This is true, and kind of common sense.

But if it was that easy, we would'nt be having this conversation. It's mostly iterated by non-smokers who have no idea what they're talking about.
It may not be super easy, but there are well-studied, safe, and effective alternative quit methods. That would be the preferred way I think rather than one that’s not well-studied, has unknown health risks, and mixed evidence on its effectiveness for quitting. Just sharing my perspective.

Yossarian

TMMAC Addict
Oct 25, 2015
It may not be super easy, but there are well-studied, safe, and effective alternative quit methods.
And for many, vaping is one of them. The main thing is, to get rid if the cigs. I have smoked for 2 decades, vaped since 2012 or so give or take. So that is my perspective. Study after study that supposedly was going to break the vape industry, has proven the exact opposite. Now don't get me wrong, I know vaping is not healthy, but from all the studies and reading I've done over the years, it is safe to say it is 90% safer than smoking. And that is all I need to know. One could even say, it's safer than eating fast food, or skydiving, drinking alcohol, drugs, etc.; things we allow people to do on a daily basis.

SongExotic2

First 100
Jan 16, 2015
And for many, vaping is one of them. The main thing is, to get rid if the cigs. I have smoked for 2 decades, vaped since 2012 or so give or take. So that is my perspective. Study after study that supposedly was going to break the vape industry, has proven the exact opposite. Now don't get me wrong, I know vaping is not healthy, but from all the studies and reading I've done over the years, it is safe to say it is 90% safer than smoking. And that is all I need to know. One could even say, it's safer than eating fast food, or skydiving, drinking alcohol, drugs, etc.; things we allow people to do on a daily basis.
Probably even safer than dojo storming