General So that didn't take long.... AFGHANISTAN

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015

So what you reckon will happen next? I reckon the Taliban will take Kabul inside the next 3 months easy and start beheading and parading government in the streets. What a massive cluster fuck

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

So what you reckon will happen next? I reckon the Taliban will take Kabul inside the next 3 months easy and start beheading and parading government in the streets. What a massive cluster fuck
This wasn't created by the withdrawal but rather the poorly planned entry with mission scope creep.
It's been a cluster for well over a decade.

SongExotic2

First 100
Jan 16, 2015
This wasn't created by the withdrawal but rather the poorly planned entry with mission scope creep.
Well what you reckon happens next?

ShatsBassoon

Throwing bombs & banging moms
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Honest question. What is a mission scope creep? And why does it sound like a long, extended term somebody would use in an attempt to sound more sophisticated or educated?

SongExotic2

First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Honest question. What is a mission scope creep? And why does it sound like a long, extended term somebody would use in an attempt to sound more sophisticated or educated?
They went in to shoot bin Laden. Then things changed. And now here we are 20 years later.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Well what you reckon happens next?
I think you're right. Kabul falls to Taliban. Or you get a UN intervention and Taliban becomes a Somalia trying to get the recognized power back in charge over the next 25 years.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Honest question. What is a mission scope creep?

And why does it sound like a long, extended term somebody would use in an attempt to sound more sophisticated or educated?
Original reason for going was accomplished and then we decided to nation build. There was always an immediate reason to justify "well we aren't here for this but we must..." So we kept expanding the mission size.

It's quite the opposite. It's a complete and succinct way to reference the previous sentences in a short phrase.

FINGERS

TMMAC Addict
Nov 14, 2019

I think this is completely about the withdrawal.

It would have made far more sense to wait a few months and give the government an extra winter to plan and prepare against these cave dwelling savages.

But as SongExotic2 @Shang Tsong2 says its pretty inevitable either way.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
It would have made far more sense to wait a few months and give the government an extra winter to plan and prepare against these cave dwelling savages.
I'm sure their 21st winter would have been the golden ticket!

But as @
Shang Tsong2
@Shang Tsong2 says its pretty inevitable either way.

Almost like if it's inevitable it isn't due to the current withdrawal but the condition set in stone for the last two decades.

but yeah they just needed one more winter...

ShatsBassoon

Throwing bombs & banging moms
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Original reason for going was accomplished and then we decided to nation build. There was always an immediate reason to justify "well we aren't here for this but we must..." So we kept expanding the mission size.

It's quite the opposite. It's a complete and succinct way to reference the previous sentences in a short phrase.
Gotcha, good explanation

5ijthz.jpg

SongExotic2

First 100
Jan 16, 2015
I've pondered for a long while as to what would be a solution to this wretched land. And I can't think of one. Same for parts of Africa. We could occupy them for another 20 years and it still wouldn't change fuck all.

My only recommendation would be to turn the country into a giant prison. Blow up the airfields and all aircraft. Heavily fortify all borders and leave them to it.

However, that's not really fair on the non terrorists that will have to live in that ghastly place. Already there are calls for humanitarian aid as no fucker has any food.

They probably just refuse to eat all that shit kbr and the army left behind.

FINGERS

TMMAC Addict
Nov 14, 2019

Almost like if it's inevitable it isn't due to the current withdrawal but the condition set in stone for the last two decades.

It wouldn't have hurt to hang around for an extra 3 months or so.

Give the Afghan army a real deadline and a chance to prepare for reals

I'm not saying it would have worked. The 2 global superpowers of the time failed spectacularly and had their arses handed to them by these animals so I doubt this fledgling army could have overcome them.

But it wouldn't have hurt.

SongExotic2

First 100
Jan 16, 2015

The withdrawal is the catalyst for sure but it was inevitable. Same would've happened five years ago or 20 years in the future. Kandahar and Helmand wouldn't be in control of the Taliban if the west still occupied a presence there.

SongExotic2

First 100
Jan 16, 2015
It wouldn't have hurt to hang around for an extra 3 months or so.

Give the Afghan army a real deadline and a chance to prepare for reals

I'm not saying it would have worked. The 2 global superpowers of the time failed spectacularly and had their arses handed to them by these animals so I doubt this fledgling army could have overcome them.

But it wouldn't have hurt.
They have been getting prepared for many years now. 3 months would have done fuck all.

SongExotic2

First 100
Jan 16, 2015
My suspicion is they will completely withdraw, allow it to descend into chaos much to the horror of the watching world and then when our news feeds are flooded with the plight of Afghanistan children being forced to live in hell the west will invade again. Much to the relief of everyone. Rinse repeat.

FINGERS

TMMAC Addict
Nov 14, 2019
How do you measure that? Sounds like sunk cost fallacy.

[

Just from history.

They didn't seem that inclined to attack the cities when it was more than likely they would be droned to death as they retreated once the white devil came along to evict them.

megatherium

el rey del mambo
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
They're talking to China and Russia about integrating into the greater Eurasia project. The whole region is about to undergo rapid, intensive economic development and the Taliban are salivating over Chinese development funds and talking about reforming their ways and establishing an inclusive government. . I have no doubt there will be reprisals against collaborators, there always are, but I get the feeling that people who are expecting a descent into chaos they should prepare to be disappointed.

Tuc Ouiner

Posting Machine
May 19, 2016
There's a reason why Afghanistan's been the graveyard of civilizations/Empires since Ghengis Khan. Maybe we shoulda thought of it. Also the Mexican cartels can get us the heroin for cheaper so we don't need to control the area. Thank you spooks for figuring this out.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
No doubt, but the full on frontal assaults were not common in the cities until the US decided their project was a failure and ran away.
The withdrawal is nothing more than pulling the curtain back on the reality that's been occurring for 20 years.
No Afghan government infrastructure. Afghan government corruption. Afghan military pathetic. Taliban with exact same interest and attacks as anytime before. And following two decades of us telling the locals that we really aren't there to make it a 51st state, we've only worsened our reputation to interaction with the locals.

The withdrawal didn't make any of those conditions happen. Many existed before and many were created over the last two decades by our poor planning. We did not have the political will or planning probably wanted the outcome to be. We'll continue to ebb and flow increase and draw down constantly hoping that just throwing money at supplies at the Afghan government would allow them to stand on their own. It appears that it did nothing more than make them more dependent on us.

Speaker to Animals

encephalopathetic
May 16, 2021
This went exactly as I predicted and it's inevitable that a building or two will become rubble again.
Twenty years, I wonder: did AQ simply decide to give up their declared war on the US?

Afghanistan exports fuckery if nobody watches.