General So, yeah, I make my own pizza.

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Mix6APlix

The more you cry, the less I care.
Oct 20, 2015
Listen, I've had some great ones, and some not so much. I don't have a brick oven imported from italy, I just use the oven in my kitchen. But....

Look at the crust. After you rolled out the dough, no I am not awesome enough to throw the dough and hand spin it, fold a bit of the dough along the edge and pinch it over every half inch or so along the edges. Once you have done so, flip the dough over. Use cornmeal on both sides. Then brush the shit out of it with garlic butter. Garlic + plus a ton of butter + microwave = goodness. Now you actually have a delicious crust as opposed to some shit you will get on the east coast.

Then cook it. I go in at 475. Keep an eye on it, as it can go from delicious freshness to dogfood surprisingly quick. I'm joking, the ones I have fucked up, I wouldn't feed a homeless panhandler, much less my dogs. This wasn't one of them.

Mozzarella, spicy italian sausage, onions, green peppers, and a heavy handed dose of oregano and basil, in addition to my roasted red pepper tomato sauce.

That's how we roll in The Chi. FNY.

Mix6APlix

Oct 20, 2015
Listen, I've had some great ones, and some not so much. I don't have a brick oven imported from italy, I just use the oven in my kitchen. But....

Look at the crust. After you rolled out the dough, no I am not awesome enough to throw the dough and hand spin it, fold a bit of the dough along the edge and pinch it over every half inch or so along the edges. Once you have done so, flip the dough over. Use cornmeal on both sides. Then brush the shit out of it with garlic butter. Garlic + plus a ton of butter + microwave = goodness. Now you actually have a delicious crust as opposed to some shit you will get on the east coast.

Then cook it. I go in at 475. Keep an eye on it, as it can go from delicious freshness to dogfood surprisingly quick. I'm joking, the ones I have fucked up, I wouldn't feed a homeless panhandler, much less my dogs. This wasn't one of them.

Mozzarella, spicy italian sausage, onions, green peppers, and a heavy handed dose of oregano and basil, in addition to my roasted red pepper tomato sauce.

Edit: Judging by whats left in the bowl with the garlic butter, I'm guessing I used a fair amount of cayenne to boot. That wouldn't surprise me.

Mix6APlix

Oct 20, 2015
And a picture of the waygu filets I won on a bet with my manager that he ended up paying out of pocket for, just because.

Sold 4 of these filets that night. No one else sold any. I got 2.

Onetrickpony

Stay gold
Nov 21, 2016
About 3 years ago I was making homemade pizza for my wife and son when I realized we had no pizza dough or shells (I realize it's not hard to make from scratch but never had and didn't want to start right then). Luckily I had got a bunch of naan bread the last time I'd gone shopping. I buttered up one side of the naan with garlic and spices and fried it until crispy in a pan. I put all the sauce (homemade, I'm not that lazy) and toppings on that side and cooked it on the rack in the oven for about 15-20 min at 450. The naan came out light and crisp and mother of God was it good. I have made pizza with naan bread ever since. Unfortunately I have not taken any pictures of them over the years but will make sure to do so the next time I make it.

Okay so it turns out that this isn't a new thing at all. I googled it to see if there were any pictures and there are tonnes.

This is a pretty reasonable approximation of what mine looked like. That night I did an all meat and cheese and a spinach, cheese and chicken.

Last edited:

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
About 3 years ago I was making homemade pizza for my wife and son when I realized we had no pizza dough or shells (I realize it's not hard to make from scratch but never had and didn't want to start right then). Luckily I had got a bunch of naan bread the last time I'd gone shopping. I buttered up one side of the naan with garlic and spices and fried it until crispy in a pan. I put all the sauce (homemade, I'm not that lazy) and toppings on that side and cooked it on the rack in the oven for about 15-20 min at 450. The naan came out light and crisp and mother of God was it good. I have made pizza with naan bread ever since. Unfortunately I have not taken any pictures of them over the years but will make sure to do so the next time I make it.

Okay so it turns out that this isn't a new thing at all. I googled it to see if there were any pictures and there are tonnes.

This is a pretty reasonable approximation of what mine looked like. That night I did an all meat and cheese and a spinach, cheese and chicken.

Naan is an incredibly under rated pizza crust.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015

What are you on fucking rations?

Pizza crust is just the medium for holding the toppings. This whole making the edge into a handle is a scam places came up with to sell you filler for the same price as topping. Get out of there with that sauce moat you've got going on there.

Onetrickpony

Stay gold
Nov 21, 2016
Fuck Chi town pizza NY or bust.

Also I'll be eating some Chicago deep dish come July
I think I'll try this tomorrow.

-Deep dish pizza traditionally has a very thick crust that resembles a pie.
-It’s usually baked in a round cake or pie pan, that often times creates caramelized crusts and edges.
-The pizza crust stands out from the rest because often times it includes butter or cornmeal, depending on where you go of course. Some say that cornmeal doesn’t belong in pizza crust. I politely disagree.
-The pizza is assembled in opposite order, meaning cheese goes first, then meat, veggies and finally sauce. This is so the cheese does not burn due to longer cooking times.

Recipe type: Pizza, Indulgent
Prep time: 1 hour 15 mins
Total time: 1 hour 45 mins
Delicious Chicago-style deep dish pizza with a beautiful, absolutely addicting crust. Use any toppings you'd like!

Ingredients

• 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
  • 2 tablespoons yellow cornmeal
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons instant yeast
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons butter, melted
  • 1/2 cup warm water (110-115 degrees F)
  • 8 oz fresh mozzarella, sliced
  • 1/2 cup pizza sauce (I love Muir Glen)
  • 1/2 onion, diced
  • 1 green pepper, diced
  • Optional: 1 jalapeno, thinly sliced
  • 20 pepperoni slices
  • OR
  • 1/2 pound cooked spicy italian sausage
  • OR
  • omit meat
  • 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
  • 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella
Instructions

1. First start by making the crust: In a large bowl of an electric mixer, mix flour, cornmeal, salt, yeast, olive oil, melted butter and water together with a wooden spoon. Once dough begins to form, place dough hook on mixer and knead dough on medium speed for 8 minutes. Dough should form into a nice ball and be slightly sticky.
  2. Next place dough in an medium bowl lightly oiled with olive oil. Cover with plastic wrap and a towel and let rise for 1 hour or until dough has doubled.
  3. After dough has doubled, preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Generously oil an 9-inch cake pan, 9-inch springform pan or a 9-inch skillet. Make sure you coat the sides of the pan with oil too to ensure that dough doesn't stick.
  4. Stretch out dough with your hands to form a large circle, place in pan and stretch dough up the sides a bit. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise again for 15 minutes. After dough has rested, stretch the dough again and push it up the sides of the pan to form your crust. Bake for 10 minutes until it turns barely golden brown on the crust.
  5. Allow crust to cool a bit before placing toppings and sauce on top.
  6. Cover the bottom of the crust with sliced mozzarella. Next add the onions, green peppers, jalapenos and meat (if using). Spread pizza sauce over the top of veggies and meat. TRUST ME, you will not need more than 1/2 cup of pizza sauce, other wise the sauce will get watery once baked and you'll have a soggy mess.
  7. Sprinkle parmesan cheese and shredded mozzarella over the top. Bake pizza for 20-25 minutes or until sauce is bubbly and crust is a nice golden brown. Serves 4-6 depending on how hungry you are.

Notes

The photos above are of crust that I doubled below and baked in a springform pan. The crust were the only ingredients that I ended up doubling and this was simply to create a pizza pie look. My recipe is for the traditional deep-dish pizza, which is the same ingredients but with a slightly less thick crust. Trust me when I say that you only need to make the version that I have above.

Kingtony87

Batman
Feb 2, 2016
I think I'll try this tomorrow.

-Deep dish pizza traditionally has a very thick crust that resembles a pie.
-It’s usually baked in a round cake or pie pan, that often times creates caramelized crusts and edges.
-The pizza crust stands out from the rest because often times it includes butter or cornmeal, depending on where you go of course. Some say that cornmeal doesn’t belong in pizza crust. I politely disagree.
-The pizza is assembled in opposite order, meaning cheese goes first, then meat, veggies and finally sauce. This is so the cheese does not burn due to longer cooking times.

Recipe type: Pizza, Indulgent
Prep time: 1 hour 15 mins
Total time: 1 hour 45 mins
Delicious Chicago-style deep dish pizza with a beautiful, absolutely addicting crust. Use any toppings you'd like!

Ingredients

• 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
  • 2 tablespoons yellow cornmeal
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons instant yeast
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons butter, melted
  • 1/2 cup warm water (110-115 degrees F)
  • 8 oz fresh mozzarella, sliced
  • 1/2 cup pizza sauce (I love Muir Glen)
  • 1/2 onion, diced
  • 1 green pepper, diced
  • Optional: 1 jalapeno, thinly sliced
  • 20 pepperoni slices
  • OR
  • 1/2 pound cooked spicy italian sausage
  • OR
  • omit meat
  • 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
  • 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella
Instructions

1. First start by making the crust: In a large bowl of an electric mixer, mix flour, cornmeal, salt, yeast, olive oil, melted butter and water together with a wooden spoon. Once dough begins to form, place dough hook on mixer and knead dough on medium speed for 8 minutes. Dough should form into a nice ball and be slightly sticky.
  2. Next place dough in an medium bowl lightly oiled with olive oil. Cover with plastic wrap and a towel and let rise for 1 hour or until dough has doubled.
  3. After dough has doubled, preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Generously oil an 9-inch cake pan, 9-inch springform pan or a 9-inch skillet. Make sure you coat the sides of the pan with oil too to ensure that dough doesn't stick.
  4. Stretch out dough with your hands to form a large circle, place in pan and stretch dough up the sides a bit. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise again for 15 minutes. After dough has rested, stretch the dough again and push it up the sides of the pan to form your crust. Bake for 10 minutes until it turns barely golden brown on the crust.
  5. Allow crust to cool a bit before placing toppings and sauce on top.
  6. Cover the bottom of the crust with sliced mozzarella. Next add the onions, green peppers, jalapenos and meat (if using). Spread pizza sauce over the top of veggies and meat. TRUST ME, you will not need more than 1/2 cup of pizza sauce, other wise the sauce will get watery once baked and you'll have a soggy mess.
  7. Sprinkle parmesan cheese and shredded mozzarella over the top. Bake pizza for 20-25 minutes or until sauce is bubbly and crust is a nice golden brown. Serves 4-6 depending on how hungry you are.

Notes

The photos above are of crust that I doubled below and baked in a springform pan. The crust were the only ingredients that I ended up doubling and this was simply to create a pizza pie look. My recipe is for the traditional deep-dish pizza, which is the same ingredients but with a slightly less thick crust. Trust me when I say that you only need to make the version that I have above.
I do a deep dish in my cast iron on occasion, with sausage, mushroom, and ricotta in the middle with pep and mozz on top. I definitely don't consider it a pizza though

Mix6APlix

Oct 20, 2015
What are you on fucking rations?

Pizza crust is just the medium for holding the toppings. This whole making the edge into a handle is a scam places came up with to sell you filler for the same price as topping. Get out of there with that sauce moat you've got going on there.
Well, you have now established you know not a single god damn thing about pizza. Good night.

Mix6APlix

Oct 20, 2015
Does either of the pizzas I posted look like a casserole?