Sober Chris Leben 'training excessively'

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

At 35 years old, could 22-time UFC veteran Chris Leben be eyeing a return to the cage? “The Crippler” wouldn’t tip his hand but did admit he’s “training excessively” after recently completing his sentence at a California jail.

“I don’t want to preemptively throw anything out there, you know what I’m saying?” Leben explained to MMAjunkie. “We’ll just say I’m training excessively right now. What that means, I’ll leave it up to interpretation.”

In September, Leben reported to a San Diego jail to serve time after pleading guilty to multiple charges in connection with a June break-in at the apartment he once shared with his estranged wife. With his sentence now complete, Leben said he’s returned to training as a means of getting his body – and life – back in order, and he’s been pleased with the early results.

“Here’s the thing, you know – obviously I got suspended after I fought Mark Munoz,” Leben said. “Then that next year in Hawaii, I didn’t drink for a year. I moved to San Diego, and I didn’t drink; I didn’t do anything. I was only on the medication I was getting from my doctor. I would have told you I was completely sober, but obviously that did something to me. The medication, Suboxone, is definitely sedating. So now that I’m off of it, I’m just really motivated, and I have a lot more energy. When I’m in the gym, I have like this laser focus that I haven’t felt in years, you know?

“It’s really exciting to be in there training with these 21-year-old kids and doing well against kids that, you know, the next generation. I mean, they might be 21 or 22, but man, they grew up in the sport. They’ve been doing it for a decade already. And I’m in there, especially in standup, holding my own with them. I’m still gassing out by the end of practice, but I’m training twice a day, five times a week. The weight is slowly but surely coming back under control. So I’m trying to get my body back in order.”

Leben will soon be on the road promoting his upcoming autobiography, “The Crippler: Cage Fighting and My Life on the Edge.” In the meantime, he’s on probation, and he’s subject to random drug and alcohol tests designed to ensure his sobriety. Leben said the punishment has proven beneficial.

“I have to be sober, or I go back to jail,” Leben said. “So from that aspect, it’s been great. I’m so ‘everything in excess and nothing in moderation.’ I think a lot of us fighters are. So the fact that I have to jump through these hoops already is just really pushing me down a healthy path. So I’ve really been focusing on my diet and training and trying to get my body back to working order.”

LINK: Sober Chris Leben 'training excessively,' could a comeback lie on the horizon?

Tiiimmmaaayyy

First 100 ish
Jan 19, 2015
Glad he's in a good place right now. I hope his story ends well. It's good that he is training and healthy, but seems like training will lead to pain and pain could lead to pain killers.

TheEmperorRises

Right click hospital, left click cemetery
Dec 4, 2015
Wish him all the best. Even more than seeing him fight again, I just hope to see him get his life together

Nemo?

Too weird to live, too rare to die.
Dec 2, 2015
a clean and focused leben is a dangerous man...Anderson took his soul

happy to see him getting back to basics.

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
a clean and focused leben is a dangerous man...Anderson took his soul

happy to see him getting back to basics.
Chris is a likeable guy. He grew up competing in mma, and as fans we have sort of lived it with him. Learning about his upbringing, his habits, the highs and lows all documented on screen and in the media.

Anytime there is good news surrounding this guy, I, for one, am happy to hear it. I hope he's clean, happy and training for a long time to come.

He's earned some time to be enjoying life

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Chris had a pretty rough childhood and developed some demons & vices along the way. Sometimes that shits tough to break, without a proper support system. Lets hope he's surrounding himself with the right people and wins this fight once and for all.

Priziesthorse

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Chris is a likeable guy. He grew up competing in mma, and as fans we have sort of lived it with him. Learning about his upbringing, his habits, the highs and lows all documented on screen and in the media.

Anytime there is good news surrounding this guy, I, for one, am happy to hear it. I hope he's clean, happy and training for a long time to come.

He's earned some time to be enjoying life
Freaks me the fuck out when you break character.

Narcosynthesis

Posting Machine
May 25, 2015
If he gets back in fighting shape I want to see the UFC give him a few pay days. He was always exciting to watch.

TheEmperorRises

Right click hospital, left click cemetery
Dec 4, 2015
Quit on the stool. He was just picking up a payday.

Paid out a lot of money to go and watch that fight. I felt robbed.
I wouldn't fault him for that- sometimes you have to know when you're beaten. An extra round for BJ in his 2nd fight with GSP would have just been 5 more minutes of beat down that he didn't need.

Someone should have thrown in the towel for JDS in both of his last 2 fights with Cain. He got years of his fight career beaten off in those fights.

Koscheck kept going with GSP when his eye was busted and he really shouldn't have. He hasn't been the same since that fight.

EyeAmYuki

Posting Machine
Nov 4, 2015
I wouldn't fault him for that- sometimes you have to know when you're beaten. An extra round for BJ in his 2nd fight with GSP would have just been 5 more minutes of beat down that he didn't need.

Someone should have thrown in the towel for JDS in both of his last 2 fights with Cain. He got years of his fight career beaten off in those fights.

Koscheck kept going with GSP when his eye was busted and he really shouldn't have. He hasn't been the same since that fight.
I agree with you on all three of those examples. I would actually like to see the towel get thrown in more often.

However, this particular Leben fight he knew he was in no fit state to be fighting before the fight started. He was all fucked up on painkillers if I remember rightly.

Pappy Knuckles

Pick Em 7 & 8 Champion
May 6, 2015
He didn't look the best on his final outings, but I appreciate his contribution to the sport. He definitely provided us with some fun moments.