Personal Some dude just ODed in front of my kids house

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
There was a sound outside I think I heard, but I wasn't sure. When I looked, a dude was sitting in his car in front of my ex-wife's house. He looked like he was smoking a cigarette or trying to. From what I could see, he had one in his hand. I was on the phone with my ex and told her there was some dude parked out front and me and the kids were keeping an eye out. She said she was on her way home. About 6 minutes later the doorbell rings. This guy is there asking to use my phone because his is dead and this dude in the car looks in bad shape. The dog keeps trying to push past me to run outside. The guy keeps asking for my phone and I'm at first like wtf, is this about to be some cornball home invasion set up? So he says he wants to call 911. I volunteer to call and they start hitting me with questions about the dude's condition. I tell them he looks like he ODed. Eventually I give the guy who rung the bell my phone to describe what's going on with the dude in the car and go put my shoes on making sure my kids are downstairs. I get outside and they've moved the dude from his car to a blanket on the ground at the urging of the 911 operator. So the dude is sort of moaning and breathing lightly. The 911 operator tells the guy to begin chest compressions. I hold the phone and he starts. Eventually the dude, who's paler than anyone I've ever seen, stops breathing and it seems like it's over but the 911 operator tells him to continue compressions counting the rhythm. Amazingly this guy comes back after about 10 long seconds of nothing. He starts gagging and seemingly wheezing. A minute or two later an ambulance pulls up and a paramedic relieves the guy. They tell us the dude is alive.

I kept looking back at the door of the house hoping my kids weren't watching this and it didn't seem like they were. My ex-wife pulls up as they load the dude into the ambulance frantically like wtf. Crazy thing is the guy tells me he had literally just taken a CPR course the Saturday prior for work or something. I told him he may have saved that dude and did great. As we look at the dude's car we notice the wheel is off the axle and there's a big skidmark in the grass so he likely crashed somehow. Of course I get back inside and my daughter had watched the whole thing from the window so we had to explain to the kids what was going on between freaking out. Meanwhile they had the guy in the ambulance but didn't leave for at least what seemed like 20 minutes. Not sure if that means he didn't make it after all or just that he was stable or what, but no sirens as they took off. They just drove away. Now I've spent all night thinking about whether I watched that guy die or not, wishing I'd gone outside sooner. Their town in Western Pennsylvania has been dealing with heroin overdoses and opioid addiction pretty routinely, but not usually in my kids part of town. My son says "I'm probably gonna remember this forever" which I guess was better than a DARE commercial. SC MMA MD @SC MMA MD Splinty @Splinty am I reading too much into the ambulance time? Were they just giving him narcan or something or was that guy likely gone?

BrunoMcGyver

Bruno no dey carry last
Dec 30, 2015
Fuck man that’s crazy. Def keep a close eye on the kids the next week or so for any behaviour changes etc

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Were they just giving him narcan or something or was that guy likely gone
This is my experience, probably fine.
Good thing dude was there.
I'm surprised at the operator's instructions to compress.

Too swole to control

I’ll fight anyone on here except Sex Chicken
Oct 28, 2015
I have been picked up by ambulance for my first panic attack and we sat outside awhile then went to hospital w no sirens. That isn't a signal he is dead

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
My son says "I'm probably gonna remember this forever" which I guess was better than a DARE commercial
If there's a silver lining to the story, this is it. Bet your son never even thinks about touching the shit because tonight will be embedded in his memory. I hope there is a special place in hell for anyone and everyone who makes & traffics heroine.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
I'm surprised at the operator's instructions to compress.
I'd have done it but just because it seems to be the thing they do when they come across OD's on Live PD. I guess it's just to keep the manual override for the heart. Then after the dude was fine I'd give a shoutout to Sticks and Wild @Wild would be proud.

nuraknu

savage
Jul 20, 2016
kneeblock @Kneeblock don't feel bad about any moments of hesitation. When you have kids to take care of, that comes first, but it was great that you were able to help in the end and that your family stayed safe.

I am actually getting naloxone training at work on Thursday. Anyone go through it?

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Meanwhile they had the guy in the ambulance but didn't leave for at least what seemed like 20 minutes. Not sure if that means he didn't make it after all or just that he was stable or what, but no sirens as they took off.

That doesn't mean a bad outcome.
If somebody recovers, you would take them in the ambulance to take a second to reassess them after you move them. You'd phone it in and find out where you're bringing them.
In fact I would argue that you would be more likely to use lights if the person was coding. Paramedics don't typically NOT code someone in that situation. They would start doing CPR in the back of the ambulance, kick the lights on, and bring them to the ER. Only doctors stop doing CPR typically.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
That doesn't mean a bad outcome.
If somebody recovers, you would take them in the ambulance to take a second to reassess them after you move them. You'd phone it in and find out where you're bringing them.
In fact I would argue that you would be more likely to use lights if the person was coding. Paramedics don't typically NOT code someone in that situation. They would start doing CPR in the back of the ambulance, kick the lights on, and bring them to the ER. Only doctors stop doing CPR typically.
I have seen that exact situation take place.
I called 911 for some dude wandering the neighborhood last october, he told me he might need "help"...I made him a hot chocolate and walked around with him...he told me he was gonna sleep in a bush overnight in 18degree temps...I told him too cold and he told me he was gonna start a bonfire in my neighbors yard...He said he wasn't feeling right and started internally cramping and moaning...I called 911, they suggested a service for addicts...I called the service...service arrived and he went into withdrawals or overdose or something, condition worsening...then they called ambulance and they did some shit to him in ambulance for 45 minutes right on my street...then they drove off with no flashing lights...I saw the dude a week later...I think he does that on the regular, because some of the folks helping knew him by name.

Was an interesting look into the mind and life of a homeless addict, we talked for awhile before he started to trip out and act crazy...still not sure what he was using.

Last edited:

D241

Banned
Jan 14, 2015
Shocking experience but all in all, sounds like this can be more positive than negative. Firsthand experience that drugs are bad. Your kids WILL remember that and that's a good thing.

GGF 58W White Pontiac. That's the license plate and car description of a drunk driver I witnessed driving eradically on my 13th birthday.
I hardly ever drink. I'm 40. Shit sticks with you man.

Seen my brother OD on heroin when I was 15....I managed to get an ambulance and keep him breathing...He was cold white and his lips were blue and the needle was hanging out his arm...Saved the fucker just in time...He now has 2 kids and is happy...It can be done.

To further the above post...I'll always remember the song playing and turn it off every time it comes on it was UB40

Don't want to taint the great song for anyone.

FINGERS

TMMAC Addict
Nov 14, 2019
The fact the ambulance stayed there means they were treating him.

My guess is the guy made it.

Sorry your children had to go through that dude. x

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
I have seen that exact situation take place.
I called 911 for some dude wandering the neighborhood last october, he told me he might need "help"...I made him a hot chocolate and walked around with him...he told me he was gonna sleep in a bush overnight in 18degree temps...I told him too cold and he told me he was gonna start a bonfire in my neighbors yard...He said he wasn't feeling right and started internally cramping and moaning...I called 911, they suggested a service for addicts...I called the service...service arrived and he went into withdrawals or overdose or something, condition worsening...then they called ambulance and they did some shit to him in ambulance for 45 minutes right on my street...then they drove off with no flashing lights...I saw the dude a week later...I think he does that on the regular, because some of the folks helping knew him by name.

Was an interesting look into the mind and life of a homeless addict, we talked for awhile before he started to trip out and act crazy...still not sure what he was using.
It was probably just SensoriaUtopia @SensoriaUtopia after he was unfairly pinked by the MoDs once again.

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
Thanks to everyone for the well wishes. I've still been replaying this situation in my head and thinking about everything that could've gone differently. If that guy hadn't been out walking his dog, if I hadn't randomly been visiting for the kids talent show, if the dog hadn't been barking. All of it could've ended with my ex-wife coming home with the kids on a Friday afternoon to a dead dude in front of her house. Such an improbable set of circumstances.

Apparently in the town, the drug of choice is carfentanil, which I guess is an upgrade from heroin. Pretty wild how fast this town moved from percs and Vics to heroin and fentanyl to this. Ironically there was an article in the paper the same day this happened talking about how overdoses were down to a 3 year low. Just a year or so ago I was reading the paper and on the cover it said 9th overdose this week in one story and there was another about a guy ODing in the maternity ward of the hospital of all places. The worst thing was that it was only Thursday morning so the week was still young! I lived through the crack epidemic in the 80s and 90s in my hometown and it really sucks to have to have my kids witness something so similar in their childhood. To their credit, they were pretty resilient. They were both mostly excited to text all their friends to tell them. I was also happy that my son called his mom immediately from downstairs to tell her there was an emergency (although she couldn't quite hear him which led to total panic when she pulled up to ambulances and police in front of the house).

I'm headed back home today, which sucks, but my gambit to convince my ex to move has launched in earnest.

silentsinger

Momofuku
Jun 23, 2015
Thanks to everyone for the well wishes. I've still been replaying this situation in my head and thinking about everything that could've gone differently. If that guy hadn't been out walking his dog, if I hadn't randomly been visiting for the kids talent show, if the dog hadn't been barking. All of it could've ended with my ex-wife coming home with the kids on a Friday afternoon to a dead dude in front of her house. Such an improbable set of circumstances.

Apparently in the town, the drug of choice is carfentanil, which I guess is an upgrade from heroin. Pretty wild how fast this town moved from percs and Vics to heroin and fentanyl to this. Ironically there was an article in the paper the same day this happened talking about how overdoses were down to a 3 year low. Just a year or so ago I was reading the paper and on the cover it said 9th overdose this week in one story and there was another about a guy ODing in the maternity ward of the hospital of all places. The worst thing was that it was only Thursday morning so the week was still young! I lived through the crack epidemic in the 80s and 90s in my hometown and it really sucks to have to have my kids witness something so similar in their childhood. To their credit, they were pretty resilient. They were both mostly excited to text all their friends to tell them. I was also happy that my son called his mom immediately from downstairs to tell her there was an emergency (although she couldn't quite hear him which led to total panic when she pulled up to ambulances and police in front of the house).

I'm headed back home today, which sucks, but my gambit to convince my ex to move has launched in earnest.
Matey, you have absolutely nothing to feel bad about. You stuck it out. So many people would just turn their noses up and not get involved.

Are you angling for a reconciliation or just want her and the kids out of that city?

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
Matey, you have absolutely nothing to feel bad about. You stuck it out. So many people would just turn their noses up and not get involved.

Are you angling for a reconciliation or just want her and the kids out of that city?
No reconciliation, but I've been trying to get her to move for awhile because there's not much going on in the town and I'd prefer if my kids were both closer and in a slightly more cosmopolitan setting. She's been considering it more seriously, I think, but her parents are there so that's why she sticks around. I've been visiting the town for about 16 years now and it's been crazy watching its slide, which was underway even back then. I've never had great luck there, but this was definitely the wildest weekend.

silentsinger

Momofuku
Jun 23, 2015
No reconciliation, but I've been trying to get her to move for awhile because there's not much going on in the town and I'd prefer if my kids were both closer and in a slightly more cosmopolitan setting. She's been considering it more seriously, I think, but her parents are there so that's why she sticks around. I've been visiting the town for about 16 years now and it's been crazy watching its slide, which was underway even back then. I've never had great luck there, but this was definitely the wildest weekend.
I guess every parent warms their children up to some cold harsh life reality, just not outside their bedroom.

If she hasn't shot it down completely already then I'd say you have a fair chance at getting them away. Nice that you still have a good relationship with your ex.

Re the sirens, I was in an ambulance with a really grazed elbow and a dodgy leg after I got run over a bit. They put the sirens on, when I was very far from critical. They just thought it would be fun. I wouldn't read anything into that.

M

member 1013

kneeblock @Kneeblock do you want me to talk to her? I’m sure I can get her to see your side of things. You know I’m a highly skilled negotiator.