Sports Some states trying to ban tackle football for kids under 12

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

MovinOn

Canis lupus familiaris
Jan 3, 2018
Seeing all these studies on how serious and prevalent CTE is among football players, I can't say I disagree with having little kids with their little peanut brains still forming in their skulls only playing touch or flag football.
The first vote in Illinois just squeaked by with a majority, however...

Illinois took a significant step toward becoming the first state to ban organized tackle football at the youth level.

HB 4341, also called the Dave Duerson Act, would prohibit any child under 12 from participating in organized tackle football. The measure passed out of the Illinois House mental health committee on an 11-9 vote Thursday and now heads to the House for a full debate and vote. The bill needed 11 votes for passage.

Illinois is one of four states -- New York, California and Maryland are the others -- to introduce legislation regulating tackle football.

Duerson's family has put its support behind the bill since the two-time Super Bowl winner killed himself in 2011. He left a note asking that his brain be studied by researchers.

Tackle football bill advances to Illinois House

M

member 1013

I played football for a long long time.

And I’m retarded.

Do we really want retarded kids?

Rambo John J

Baker Team
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
I played football for a long long time.

And I’m retarded.

Do we really want retarded kids?
same

I am not gonna pretend it didn't have an effect....I used to try and ring my bell and others bell as many times as possible in practice and in game I was a head seeking missile

LOL oh well

M

member 1013

same

I am not gonna pretend it didn't have an effect....I used to try and ring my bell and others bell as many times as possible in practice and in game I was a head seeking missile

LOL oh well
I’m not even sure if I was good at football or Just headbutting things

Rambo John J

Baker Team
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Seeing all these studies on how serious and prevalent CTE is among football players, I can't say I disagree with having little kids with their little peanut brains still forming in their skulls only playing touch or flag football.
The first vote in Illinois just squeaked by with a majority, however...

Illinois took a significant step toward becoming the first state to ban organized tackle football at the youth level.

HB 4341, also called the Dave Duerson Act, would prohibit any child under 12 from participating in organized tackle football. The measure passed out of the Illinois House mental health committee on an 11-9 vote Thursday and now heads to the House for a full debate and vote. The bill needed 11 votes for passage.

Illinois is one of four states -- New York, California and Maryland are the others -- to introduce legislation regulating tackle football.

Duerson's family has put its support behind the bill since the two-time Super Bowl winner killed himself in 2011. He left a note asking that his brain be studied by researchers.

Tackle football bill advances to Illinois House
I pads and cellphones will ruin the brain more IMO...those folks never get out of their own head and are physically underdeveloped

but football can really fuck up some brains IMO...I expect mine may catch me later in life

team sports also teaches a lot about Ego/Compassion/Teamwork...so this is a give and take move IMO

Rambo John J

Baker Team
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
I’m not even sure if I was good at football or Just headbutting things
I was very good and fast and also good at head butting....was totally undersized but also very effective as a tackler/spearer...that rep got me state honors

I layed tons of concussions on dudes(sad to ponder now)...and gave myself a few also

Was known for a Hard Head....I am impulsive and have a quick trigger...both signs of CTE possibly

I do know lots of the guys I played with were not as aggressive with the helmet area, so I think a lot of them are just fine and took very little damage to the brain.

yikes

M

member 1013

I pads and cellphones will ruin the brain more IMO...those folks never get out of their own head and are physically underdeveloped

but football can really fuck up some brains IMO...I expect mine may catch me later in life

team sports also teaches a lot about Ego/Compassion/Teamwork...so this is a give and take move IMO
We should have a pool going to see which TMMACer gets early onset dementia first. Winner gets Splinty @Splinty ‘s palatial yacht to die on.

M

member 1013

I was very good and fast and also good at head butting....was totally undersized but also very effective as a tackler/spearer

I layed tons of concussions on dudes(sad to ponder now)...and gave myself a few also

Was known for a Hard Head....I am impulsive and have a quick trigger...both signs of CTE possibly

I do know lots of the guys I played with were not as aggressive with the helmet area, so I think a lot of them are just fine and took very little damage to the brain.

yikes
how fast dawg

I ran a 4.6 forty at 240 lbs

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
Cincinnati St Xavier's football team has been wearing the Q-Collar for the last 4 seasons with positive results. It's a device that puts pressure on the jugular vein to increase blood volume around the brain to create a cushion sort of like an air-bag.

It was inspired by the woodpecker's ability to bang his head on trees all day with no ill-effect.
The woodpecker doesn't fuck its brain up because its tongue wraps around its brain to protect it:

Luke Kuechly wore it last season.

The story behind the experimental collar worn by Luke Kuechly

Last edited:

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
how fast dawg

I ran a 4.6 forty at 240 lbs
WTF? Fuck tackling that shit.

The worst I ever got plastered was actually backyard football. I got smoked by 2 huge dudes. Knocked heads. I was KTFO for a couple minutes and ended up with a Hasim Rahman quality knot on my forehead. Not that it matters that much, but the 2 dudes that blasted me went on to play D1 football in college.

That might have been a concussion. Haha.

HEATH VON DOOM

Remember the 5th of November
Oct 21, 2015
Do 12 year olds hit hard enough or fall far enough to do serious damage? If anything you need to ban High School FB. Thats when shit gets serious

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Do 12 year olds hit hard enough or fall far enough to do serious damage? If anything you need to ban High School FB. Thats when shit gets serious
Most of the kids I see that bang their heads aren't from the hit itself. It's from their head hitting the ground after they fall down. That helmet is heavy as fuck for a kid.

Even on non-violent plays, some of those kids can't even stand up after getting knocked down because they have so much gear on. It's pretty comical.