Someone please explain how to plan out your macros

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Lord Vutulaki

Banned
Jan 16, 2015
As weighing out meals/planning etc etc, I get the ratios but just not how to calculate things for consumption if that makes sense?

Any useful resources out there?

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
As weighing out meals/planning etc etc, I get the ratios but just not how to calculate things for consumption if that makes sense?

Any useful resources out there?
No, explain more about what you want. But here is the basic gist that a lot of people go for (rightly or wrongly):

Determine how many calories you want each day (Bulking? Cutting?).
Determine how much protein you want (1lb/g of bodyweight is a common guideline. There are others).
Work out how many calories are in that protein (4kcal/g).
Get the rest of your calories from fat and carbs.

Lord Vutulaki

Banned
Jan 16, 2015
No, explain more about what you want. But here is the basic gist that a lot of people go for (rightly or wrongly):

Determine how many calories you want each day (Bulking? Cutting?).
Determine how much protein you want (1lb/g of bodyweight is a common guideline. There are others).
Work out how many calories are in that protein (4kcal/g).
Get the rest of your calories from fat and carbs.
I want to get to 100kg for once in my life (was my dream growing up being a Tyson fan lol) im hovering between 86 - 90kg now and finding it easy to put on muscle since I quit the sauce, probably cause my liver has some spare time on its hands, IDK TBH.

Okay I know the protein part and how to calculate it but not how to workout how many calories come from which carbs by weight.

So I know a large Tbone gives me 65 grams of protein almost a third of the protein I need for a day but I dont know how to workout my calorie intake and dont trust online calculators. Is there a table available to allow me to calculate it myslelf?

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
I want to get to 100kg for once in my life (was my dream growing up being a Tyson fan lol) im hovering between 86 - 90kg now and finding it easy to put on muscle since I quit the sauce, probably cause my liver has some spare time on its hands, IDK TBH.

Okay I know the protein part and how to calculate it but not how to workout how many calories come from which carbs by weight.

So I know a large Tbone gives me 65 grams of protein almost a third of the protein I need for a day but I dont know how to workout my calorie intake and dont trust online calculators. Is there a table available to allow me to calculate it myslelf?
Carbs are 4kcal/g. If the carbs are fibre, you won't get much out so exclude the fibre content for calculating calories.

Fat is 9kcal/g. So the steak is 260kcal from protein and however many kcal from the fat. There's no carbs in meat.

Pitbull9

Daddy
Jan 28, 2015

Well see here is one of your problems. Number 1 red meat should be limited to maybe once a week because while the protein is high it's also loaded with Saturated fat which is A) unhealthy B)not useful in any way for dieting. You should learn how to carb cycle as well. Days you train carbs can be different then days you are not training. Also heavy hard days can be a higher carb day. If that seems difficult, get on a species macro ration per day. Something that is pretty common starting point is 220-240 grams of protein, 170 grams of carbs and 35-40 grams of good fats.

Lord Vutulaki

Banned
Jan 16, 2015
Carbs are 4kcal/g. If the carbs are fibre, you won't get much out so exclude the fibre content for calculating calories.

Fat is 9kcal/g. So the steak is 260kcal from protein and however many kcal from the fat. There's no carbs in meat.
Cheers mate do you weigh your meals or just roughly work them out based on portion sizes?

Lord Vutulaki

Banned
Jan 16, 2015
Well see here is one of your problems. Number 1 red meat should be limited to maybe once a week because while the protein is high it's also loaded with Saturated fat which is A) unhealthy B)not useful in any way for dieting. You should learn how to carb cycle as well. Days you train carbs can be different then days you are not training. Also heavy hard days can be a higher carb day. If that seems difficult, get on a species macro ration per day. Something that is pretty common starting point is 220-240 grams of protein, 170 grams of carbs and 35-40 grams of good fats.

The man himself arrives! Is animal fat good fat? I love that shit.

Gonna cut down on red meat based on your advice plus its not cheap

Anastasios

Feb 22, 2016
I don't check macros even when cutting. I took an estimate the other day and guessed portion size
But you probably have over 20 years experience of doing. I can count in my head too and judge from past experience what will make me gain or lose, but I have approx 10 years experience of counting all macros.

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
But you probably have over 20 years experience of doing. I can count in my head too and judge from past experience what will make me gain or lose, but I have approx 10 years experience of counting all macros.
Correct, I'm not saying everyone should do it the same way I do. I was simply answering his specific question.

Lord Vutulaki

Banned
Jan 16, 2015
Thanks malaka

I always wondered if these sites were legit or not but good enough for you good enough for me.

Lord Vutulaki

Banned
Jan 16, 2015
Man looks like I got a lot of caloric trunk space now that im off the sauce.

Never realized how many calories I was drinking.

Lord Vutulaki

Banned
Jan 16, 2015
Westside's nutrition guy advocates animal and vegetable for all meals except for pre and post traneing. Sounds like an idea.

Do we all agree that this okay for an easy gainer like me? I don't care about bf% much just want to get to 100kg for once in my life. Ill trim back once my back is ready for heavy deadlifting and I can compete.

Anastasios

Feb 22, 2016
They are very legit, you can even compare them. Of course not all types of potatos have the same carb content etc. But at least they give you a sense of the energy content in different foods. You just have to type in EVERYTHING, even sauces etc. Some small things we consume make us think it's ok but in reality it's several hundred calories and can break a cutting diet with a single portion a day.

Lord Vutulaki

Banned
Jan 16, 2015

Leigh @Leigh Pitbull9 @Pitbull3744 A @Anastasios

Here's my ingredients for my 2 pwo meals

1 x sweet potato
4 x chicken thighs
Drum wheat pasta
Lemons
Pasta sauce

Meal 1 - 3 chicken thighs fried in olive oil, lemon juice and lotsa garlic with that medium sweet potato (boiled )

Meal 2 - 1 chicken thigh and a side of pasta (1 cup uncooked ) in that sauce.

Thats 60 grams of protein and 1500 calories including 4 tble spoons of olive oil.

Sound about right?

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015

Leigh @Leigh Pitbull9 @Pitbull3744 A @Anastasios

Here's my ingredients for my 2 pwo meals

1 x sweet potato
4 x chicken thighs
Drum wheat pasta
Lemons
Pasta sauce

Meal 1 - 3 chicken thighs fried in olive oil, lemon juice and lotsa garlic with that medium sweet potato (boiled )

Meal 2 - 1 chicken thigh and a side of pasta (1 cup uncooked ) in that sauce.

Thats 60 grams of protein and 1500 calories including 4 tble spoons of olive oil.

Sound about right?
How many meals are you eating per day?