Son got a stripe today!

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

gangsterkathryn

저승사자
Oct 20, 2015
He has been working so hard and I’m super proud. He has no experience in anything athletic, so this is a big deal.
I didn’t get to grab a picture because other parents were in the way, but the school did, so I’m going to ask them to send it to me tomorrow.

I’m sure this is NBD for most, but for us this is a big win! :smile:

gangsterkathryn

저승사자
Oct 20, 2015
Thank you guys! I think it was his best day yet. And the other kids and the regular parents I talk to cheered for him so loud.

Then he was a brat when we got home.

SC MMA MD

TMMAC Addict
Jan 20, 2015
Martial arts can play a very important role in teaching kids delayed gratification and the benefits of doing hard work. I think this can be especially important for young boys who often struggle with getting these concepts. The time course for payoff in school and most other sports is too long, where the relatively frequent stripes/belts in martial arts are unsurprisingly nearly perfectly timed. My son who is now 15 first got a glimpse of delayed gratification in martial arts, then football, and finally seems to be getting it in Academics.

TFK_Fanboy

First 200ish
Feb 9, 2015
that is great! the stripes are great because it keeps the kids motivated. time to sign him up for a local tournament! my son started his after his fist stripe at white belt, it is fun and they don't feel the same stress/pressure at that belt as they would at a higher belt

gangsterkathryn

저승사자
Oct 20, 2015
that is great! the stripes are great because it keeps the kids motivated. time to sign him up for a local tournament! my son started his after his fist stripe at white belt, it is fun and they don't feel the same stress/pressure at that belt as they would at a higher belt
They’ve had one tournament so far, he wasn’t quite ready for it yet, but maybe the next one. He is definitely more focused now than before. Except during warmups and drills.
They don’t start putting pressure on the kids until they move into the next group. I think those kids are 10+ We have a year and a half so I expect we will have a lot of improvement between now and then. I’m just glad he’s still interested.