Sonnen retires after Machida loss at Bellator 222

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

“The Bad Guy” is hanging up his gloves for good.

Chael Sonnen announced his retirement from MMA after losing to Lyoto Machida in the Bellator 222 co-main event on Friday night in Chicago. Machida, after a dominant first round, stopped Sonnen with strikes early in the second round. A flying knee set up the finish and Machida finished Sonnen off with ground-and-pound.

“I got one thing to say: I had a hell of a lot of fun,” Sonnen said in his post-fight intervieww. “I had a good run. Scott Coker gave me a five-fight deal; he let me honor all five fights. And, ladies and gentlemen, I’m walking out. I appreciate the memories. And goodbye.”

Sonnen said in a later interview that his decision to walk away from MMA had to due with a lack of…

Chael Sonnen announces retirement after Lyoto Machida loss at Bellator 222

Tiiimmmaaayyy

First 100 ish
Jan 19, 2015
Chael had a solid career. He may not have won the championship, but most guys don't. He won some really big fights and made lots of money and will continue to prosper from his hard work. Good for him. He was always willing to fight the toughest guys. He may not complete in the cage again, but I imagine he will stay active and compete in grappling tournaments.

Sheepdog

Protecting America from excessive stool loitering
Dec 1, 2015
A strange fighter to assess. Has many top quality wins and pushed one of the GOATs to the absolute limit.

Yet he also seemed to panic a lot in the cage to a level you don't see among many elite fighters. Basically him and Brock Lesnar are in their own category. He wasn't weak or soft per se - he would often fight through adversity and he was relatively durable. But the way he would flail around and freak out when he got in trouble was almost comical and would lead to people thinking he was throwing fights. For a guy who fought so long professionally, it's like he never truly learned how to take a punch.

jimmy boogaloo

General Links/Your Account
Nov 15, 2017
A strange fighter to assess. Has many top quality wins and pushed one of the GOATs to the absolute limit.

Yet he also seemed to panic a lot in the cage to a level you don't see among many elite fighters. Basically him and Brock Lesnar are in their own category. He wasn't weak or soft per se - he would often fight through adversity and he was relatively durable. But the way he would flail around and freak out when he got in trouble was almost comical and would lead to people thinking he was throwing fights. For a guy who fought so long professionally, it's like he never truly learned how to take a punch.
lol if you ever get stuck in a category, you and Brock Lesnar, heavy introspection is required

Jan 21, 2015
REAL fight fans know that Chael risked life and limb to save the entire sport of MMA from certain doom.

REAL fight fans are eternally grateful.

H8ers just don't know the truth and that's that.

Carbazel

Freelance MMA Analyst
Aug 8, 2015
This was my shot from post-event press conference. The "I tried" part was definitely a downer, especially with Father's Day that coming Sunday, but being the guy he is, he managed to get folks to chuckle when Machida walked in.

View: https://youtu.be/hItTi9Iy6NA