Sorry 'Pitbull': Scott Coker says Michael Chandler first for champ Brent Primus

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Clappin'Daddys

Posting Machine
Sep 9, 2015
By Steven Marrocco, John Morgan September 25, 2017 10:30 pm

Although Patricky Freire and Brent Primus apparently have signed off on a fight, Bellator chief Scott Coker hasn’t forgotten about Michael Chandler.

Coker indicated the ex-lightweight champ is likely first in line to face champ Primus after their bizarre meeting in June.

“We’ve been waiting for Chandler to fight Primus again,” Coker told MMAjunkie after this past Saturday’s Bellator 183 at SAP Center in San Jose, Calif.

Chandler (16-4 MMA, 13-4 BMMA) suffered a freak ankle injury and ceded the belt at Bellator 180. He anticipated a rematch with Primus (8-0 MMA, 6-0 BMMA) after he healed up. As it turned out, the injury didn’t turn out to be as severe as it looked.

So what’s the holdup? According to Coker, it isn’t the ex-champ, but the current one.

“(Primus’) wife is having a baby, and we’re very respectful of that,” Coker said. “We’re waiting for him, and when he’s ready to re-engage, I think Chandler should be the first one.”

Freire (18-8 MMA, 11-7 BMMA), of course, disagrees. After adding an ex-UFC champ to his list of wins this past Saturday, he accused Primus of ducking previous bookings and said he should get a title shot.

To his delight, Primus agreed.

“@PatrickyPitbull congrats on the fight tonight man! You say I ran from you twice? I’ve signed the only contact I got to fight you. #ready,” he wrote on Twitter.

“Thanks! I have to promote the fight,” Freire replied. “Let’s do this! Good luck with your baby.”

Thanks! I have to promote the fight. Let's do this! Good luck with your baby

— Patricky Freire (@PatrickyPitbull) September 24, 2017

Chandler was none too happy about the turn of events, sliding into the conversation to mock the two.

“You two can fight it out for title of ‘never heard of that guy’ and ‘chokes under pressure,'” he wrote.

you two can fight it out for title of "never heard of that guy" and "chokes under pressure"

— Michael Chandler (@MikeChandlerMMA) September 24, 2017

Predictably, Freire was not amused.

“You were lucky last time,” he replied. “I can’t wait to shut your big mouth. I’ll deliver the beating of a lifetime before knocking you out.”

Freire then challenged Chandler to a fight – 11 days away at Bellator 184.

Bellator’s lightweight division is such that the trio will probably all end up fighting each other again at some point – the only question is in what order. But from the looks of it, that is already set.

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
A little birdy at 183 told me Chandler as well.

M

member 3289

Chandler has a legit claim to the next title shot, but I think he's being disingenuous when he says his ankle injury had nothing to do with Primus's offense in that first fight.

SuperPig

Enjoy yourselves
Aug 7, 2015
Chandler is Bellator's version of Faber in that he'll keep getting title fights until the day he retires. I'm not even saying he doesn't deserve it but it's a given that if he is anywhere near the top of the division that he's going to get a crack before other fighters.

TheEmperorRises

Right click hospital, left click cemetery
Dec 4, 2015
I'm glad Chandler is getting that hematch. Sucks to see the way he lost it
Yeah, but I think he at least made some new fans. I always knew he was ferocious in the cage, but fighting on one leg like that (and nearly scoring a knockdown when he tagged Primus on the chin) was something else.

Clappin'Daddys

Posting Machine
Sep 9, 2015
Yeah, but I think he at least made some new fans. I always knew he was ferocious in the cage, but fighting on one leg like that (and nearly scoring a knockdown when he tagged Primus on the chin) was something else.
He did score the knockdown. He needed the ko though.

I just thought it was stupid of chandler to press forward knowing his ankle was as limp as Wild @Wild 's penis.

He should have rested up against the cage off his back foot and look to counter.

SuperPig

Enjoy yourselves
Aug 7, 2015
According to Chandler, Primus doesn't want to fight until Feb/March and he doesn't want to wait.

So we'll see how it all plays out