Sports Sources: Angels, Trout near new $430M deal

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Star center fielder Mike Trout and the Los Angeles Angels are finalizing the largest contract in professional sports history, a 12-year deal worth more than $430 million that will smash previous records and could keep the greatest player of his generation with the Angels for the remainder of his career, sources familiar with the deal told ESPN on Tuesday.

Trout, who has won two American League MVP awards and finished second four times, will receive an average of nearly $36 million a year, topping Zack Greinke's previous record average of $34.4 million with the Arizona Diamondbacks.

The $430 million-plus total is more than 30 percent larger than the $330 million deal Bryce Harper signed with the Philadelphia Phillies on March 2 and bests boxer Canelo Alvarez's deal with DAZN by more than $65 million.

Trout, 27, was due to be a free agent following the 2020 season, at which point he was expected to set off a frenzied bidding war among the largest-market teams in the game. The clamoring already had begun, with Harper lobbying for Trout to join him in Philadelphia, 45 miles from Trout's hometown of Millville, New Jersey.

The Angels will nullify that possibility by ripping up the final two seasons of his six-year, $144.5 million deal and replace it with the new 12-year deal through the 2030 season, sources told ESPN.

A generational talent with an unparalleled set of skills among his peers, Trout has put together arguably the greatest start to a career in baseball history. In 1,065 games, he has slashed .307/.416/.573 with 240 home runs, 648 RBIs, 793 runs and 189 stolen bases. No player in history has put up more wins above replacement through his age-26 season than Trout's 64.3.

While the Angels' past forays into long-term contracts have not paid off -- their 10-year, $240 million deal with Albert Pujols and five-year, $125 million deal with Josh Hamilton both are considered albatrosses -- the possibility of losing Trout was simply too daunting to not complete a deal.

Raking It in

Mike Trout is among the Angels' franchise leaders in a number of statistical categories despite not even ranking in the top 10 in games played in team history.

Trout casts his lot with an organization that has made the playoffs just once during his eight major league seasons -- and was swept in the first round when it did. Los Angeles' bustling farm system and the ability for owner Arte Moreno to parlay a $3 billion local TV deal into higher payrolls gave Trout enough security to lock down a deal through his age-38 season.

After joining the Angels as the 25th pick in the 2009 draft, Trout blitzed through their farm system and debuted at 19 years old during the 2011 season. He established himself as a star the next season, winning the AL Rookie of the Year award and finishing second in the MVP voting for the first of two straight seasons. He won the award in 2014 and 2016 and finished second again last year, arguably his best season yet, in which he slashed .312/.460/.628 with 39 home runs and 79 RBIs in 140 games.

sparkuri

First 100
Jan 16, 2015
If you're even B+ talented, you put your ALL into any facet of baseball and you're sitting on 1mil+ a year and a life worth looking back on.
Warming the bench or relief pitching; former science teacher?
No problem.

And generally, that's a CTE-free career, even if short-lived.

Jesus X

4 drink minimum.
Sep 7, 2015
If you're even B+ talented, you put your ALL into any facet of baseball and you're sitting on 1mil+ a year and a life worth looking back on.
Warming the bench or relief pitching; former science teacher?
No problem.

And generally, that's a CTE-free career, even if short-lived.
lol there is plenty of A level athletes who never made it in baseball it is way harder than you are giving it credit for and trout is athletic AF ,harper is also an A level athlete,he runs as fast as most NFL guys.

Jesus X

4 drink minimum.
Sep 7, 2015
Star center fielder Mike Trout and the Los Angeles Angels are finalizing the largest contract in professional sports history, a 12-year deal worth more than $430 million that will smash previous records and could keep the greatest player of his generation with the Angels for the remainder of his career, sources familiar with the deal told ESPN on Tuesday.

Trout, who has won two American League MVP awards and finished second four times, will receive an average of nearly $36 million a year, topping Zack Greinke's previous record average of $34.4 million with the Arizona Diamondbacks.

The $430 million-plus total is more than 30 percent larger than the $330 million deal Bryce Harper signed with the Philadelphia Phillies on March 2 and bests boxer Canelo Alvarez's deal with DAZN by more than $65 million.

Trout, 27, was due to be a free agent following the 2020 season, at which point he was expected to set off a frenzied bidding war among the largest-market teams in the game. The clamoring already had begun, with Harper lobbying for Trout to join him in Philadelphia, 45 miles from Trout's hometown of Millville, New Jersey.

The Angels will nullify that possibility by ripping up the final two seasons of his six-year, $144.5 million deal and replace it with the new 12-year deal through the 2030 season, sources told ESPN.

A generational talent with an unparalleled set of skills among his peers, Trout has put together arguably the greatest start to a career in baseball history. In 1,065 games, he has slashed .307/.416/.573 with 240 home runs, 648 RBIs, 793 runs and 189 stolen bases. No player in history has put up more wins above replacement through his age-26 season than Trout's 64.3.

While the Angels' past forays into long-term contracts have not paid off -- their 10-year, $240 million deal with Albert Pujols and five-year, $125 million deal with Josh Hamilton both are considered albatrosses -- the possibility of losing Trout was simply too daunting to not complete a deal.

Raking It in

Mike Trout is among the Angels' franchise leaders in a number of statistical categories despite not even ranking in the top 10 in games played in team history.

Trout casts his lot with an organization that has made the playoffs just once during his eight major league seasons -- and was swept in the first round when it did. Los Angeles' bustling farm system and the ability for owner Arte Moreno to parlay a $3 billion local TV deal into higher payrolls gave Trout enough security to lock down a deal through his age-38 season.

After joining the Angels as the 25th pick in the 2009 draft, Trout blitzed through their farm system and debuted at 19 years old during the 2011 season. He established himself as a star the next season, winning the AL Rookie of the Year award and finishing second in the MVP voting for the first of two straight seasons. He won the award in 2014 and 2016 and finished second again last year, arguably his best season yet, in which he slashed .312/.460/.628 with 39 home runs and 79 RBIs in 140 games.
it is funny that people always shit on arte moreno in anaheim but I have always respected him because he always does things that elevate the angels it is way nicer going to an angels game now than it way before he was in charge.

sparkuri

First 100
Jan 16, 2015
lol there is plenty of A level athletes who never made it in baseball it is way harder than you are giving it credit for and trout is athletic AF ,harper is also an A level athlete,he runs as fast as most NFL guys.
Nah, I think there might've been a misunderstanding of my statement is all.
To clarify, if you're a B+ level player IN MIDDLE SCHOOL, & put your ALL into ONE FACET of the game for 10+ years, there's a high probability of success.
All means all though, eg, psychological, physical, diet, determination, injury prevention, proper coaching/mentorship etc.

Most "A level" players that didn't find success(general term) in line with their expectations, were arrested by one(or others) of the examples I laid out.
ML history is rife with examples of b-level talent going all the way, even into the all-stars and beyond.

HEATH VON DOOM

Remember the 5th of November
Oct 21, 2015
it is funny that people always shit on arte moreno in anaheim but I have always respected him because he always does things that elevate the angels it is way nicer going to an angels game now than it way before he was in charge.
Yea but now if Trouts teams dont win this contract will be made fun of more than the Pujols contract.

MMAHAWK

Real Gs come from California.America Muthafucker
Feb 5, 2015
Great owner who if anything is guilty of trying to win to quickly. Angels need to lockup Upton and have an outfield of Upton, Trout, and ohtani for the next 5-10 years.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
It sucks that the best player in MLB is on a west coast team in the AL. I could probably count the number of games I've watched him play on one hand.

Last edited:

SuperPig

Enjoy yourselves
Aug 7, 2015
It's nice of crazy to think of how much money he may have cost himself by not hitting free agency considering how much he signed for.

So how long do we think the Angels will actually keep him before they end up trying to trade him and unload that contract?

MMAHAWK

Feb 5, 2015
It's nice of crazy to think of how much money he may have cost himself by not hitting free agency considering how much he signed for.

So how long do we think the Angels will actually keep him before they end up trying to trade him and unload that contract?
I think they’d trade him now if that was their plan. Every year that goes by the numbers will look smaller as others sign huge deals. This locks up One of the greatest players to ever play for the rest of his career. And assures he goes into the HOF an Angel.

MMAHAWK

Feb 5, 2015
Also crazy the two best players in Angels History are Trout and Salmon. If I’m their scout I’m searching for all the players named Bass and sturgeon I can find.

sparkuri

First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Also crazy the two best players in Angels History are Trout and Salmon. If I’m their scout I’m searching for all the players named Bass and sturgeon I can find.
Kevin Bass hit 20 hr's for the Astros in '87 I think.
They should see what his grandson is doing and pump him full of cheque drops.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
Kevin Bass hit 20 hr's for the Astros in '87 I think.
They should see what his grandson is doing and pump him full of cheque drops.
Jim Catfish Hunter probably has some offspring in that area.

Crazy. They are still the worst team in AL West. Astros, A's, Mariners are all younger and more talented.

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
It’s not worth that much
Uncle Sam will take half so it’s fuck all really