South Carolina Becomes First State to Approve “Two vs Two” Mixed Martial Arts

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

ErikMagraken

Posting Machine
Apr 9, 2015

Originally published here - South Carolina Becomes First State to Approve “Two vs Two” Mixed Martial Arts | Combat Sports Law

Titled “Arena Combat”, a two on two variation of mixed martial arts hosted in an arena that resembles that of American Gladiators, has recently been approved by the South Carolina Athletic Commission.

The SCAC has the distinction of the being the first North American State or Provincial commission to approve such a professional combative sport. While a similar event has been previously hosted in Virginia, that was an amateur event that escaped scrutiny of the State’s athletic commission.

When approving events outside the norm commissions sometimes take liberties with the application of their rules but a quick analysis of South Carolina’s regulatory scheme shows that their State Commission is created with powers broad enough to approve novel forms of combative sports.

Unlike many jurisdictions that have a defined list of combative sports commissions can approve, South Carolina has taken a more open ended approach defining regulated combative sports as “any professional sport where participants intend and actually kick, punch, and use other techniques to injure or disable an opponent in an event or exhibition before an audience on a platform, a pad, or in an area surrounded by ropes or other markings.

The Regulations go on to not require contests to be one vs one (though they did think of reducing to writing the fact that you can’t fight an animal in the Palmetto State with regulation 20-24.3 reading “The Commission will not sanction events involving animals, other than human beings, nor issue permits for events in which they participate“.)

Moving on, Regulation 20-24.4 specifically allows the SCAC to approve an event for whcih “No Regulations Exist” reading as follows:

When an application for a permit is received and no regulations exist for that type of event, the Commission may: 1. Deny the permit 2. Designate that regulation for a related combative art be used 3. Designate that acceptance of regulations of a licensed school be used, unless they conflict with the State’s laws and regulations.

So, the lesson being, if you are looking to push the boundaries of modern combative sprots, South Carolina may welcome you so long as you don’t want to fight a kangaroo.

Here are the minutes specifically approving this Event –

Event Permitting Hearing: Arena Combat/Casey Oxendine

The Commission held an event permitting hearing regarding Arena Combat with the CEO of HipShow, Casey Oxendine, to approve Arena Combat under MMA. Blake Grice, head referee in South Carolina and Georgia, joined the meeting via teleconference to provide his input regarding an arena combat event that he 6 refereed. Discussion ensued regarding the safety of the fighters, rules of the event, number of doctor’s and EMT’s present and event insurance.

MOTION: Mr. McCullough made the motion to enter Executive Session to obtain legal advice. Mr. Shoemake seconded the motion, which carried unanimously.

MOTION: Mr. Shoemake made the motion to grant a one time approval for an event permit upon compliance of the following conditions: Removal of Heavyweight and Super Heavyweight weight classes from the events, the presence of three (3) fight doctors, a 3 – 4 hour training session for participating referees, requirement of referees to use football style whistles, the head referee would have a microphone and that South Carolina’s Rules and Regulations are adopted as reference. Finally, HipShow has thirty (30) days to submit an application for an event permit.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Well I'm glad they dont permit animals to fight.

This sounds great for fans looking for chaos and violence, but in my opinion...it hurts the sports legitimacy. How can the ref safely protect 4 fighters? He cant be closely watching both at the same time. You're going to have people falling onto one another, and knees and ankles blown out. I'll probably enjoy watching it, because it will be bonkers...but I don't see this experiment ending well.\

EDIT: Two refs in there, so that answers one concern.

Last edited:

sgotwalks

First 100
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Fuck me! My 14 year old son just asked me last week if I ever thought this would be possible and I got all righteous and responded with a 'that's a silly question' kind of tone. Now I must show him this thread so he can have the last laugh............I feel he earned it after enduring my impatience with his question.

teamquestnorth

Lindland never cheated
Jan 27, 2015
I don't like this at all. It for sure takes away from the sports legitamacy.

They're trying to cater to the down south backyard wrestling fans. Hopefully this fails quick. This makes YAMMA look like a stroke of genius

SAJ

Posting Machine
Aug 2, 2015
Yeah im also not a big fan of this. I have no interest in this at all and i consider myself a huge combat sports fan. Not a good look for the sport and seems a bit gimmicky imo.

BispingGatekeeper4Life

Aug 14, 2015
WTF is the SCAC thinking about. They must be short of cash to entertain the idea in the first place. Hopefully this event bombs and the idea never see's the light of day again.

OhWhopDaChamp

TMMAC Addict
Apr 20, 2015
I legit don't see the purpose in a four person fight, it's taking the most absurd part of pro wrestling (tag team) and attempting to validate it.
A tournament with teams who fight 1 on 1 in one night would be much more interesting to me.

IschKabibble

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Maybe I should post this in the unpopular opinion thread, but I would watch the shit out of that. It's a pretty entertaining concept.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Maybe I should post this in the unpopular opinion thread, but I would watch the shit out of that. It's a pretty entertaining concept.
it is and I will watch too. I can just picture the backlash that will come from it...and God forbid someone gets seriously hurt at one of those events. It will bleed into criticizing the UFC, Bellator, etc.

Left Hook Larry

3x Undisputed Monsters Champ/King of Buttertooths
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
You would have to be a real idiot to try to take on 2 guys of similar skill level. As soon as it becomes 2 on 1 it should be stopped or at the very least stopped when it hits the mat. Maybe the guy could land a one hitter quitter on 1 of the guys as he's coming in and then work on the 2nd opponent.

This is the kind of stuff that sets the sport back and makes it look like a circus.

IschKabibble

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
it is and I will watch too. I can just picture the backlash that will come from it...and God forbid someone gets seriously hurt at one of those events. It will bleed into criticizing the UFC, Bellator, etc.
Well to be fair, if you watch the video Erik embedded in his second post, the rules they set are pretty strict. And it's not like this will catch on and become the next big combat sport. Just mindlessly fun entertainment.

kingdazy

pugilist punch-head
Aug 15, 2015
just chiming in to agree with he general sentiment of "good lord, thats asinine".
not just gimmicky, but truly lowers the bar of legitimate sporting combat.
like mentioned previously, the ref'ing of such an event is a nightmare waiting to happen, and begging for an injury.
I hope the promoters go broke, and no one gets hurt in the process.

thankfully, it'll never "catch on".