Society Southwest Airlines declares "Operational Emergency"

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
A labor dispute between Southwest and AMFA (Aircraft Mechanics Fraternal Association) is turning ugly. The mechanics aren't happy with the current deal, and after rejecting the latest proposal from management they began failing an unusually high amount of planes during inspections last week. The current amount of planes failing inspections has doubled over it's typical amount, causing an increase in delayed flights across the country.

Southwest has plenty of planes, but if this tactic continues it could have a sweeping effect on travel.

In response, Southwest has declared an "Operational Emergency" stating that overtime would be mandatory to get the planes back in service as quickly as possible. Anticipating the union's next move, management also issued a statement that any requests for sick leave would require a doctor's note and any unexcused absences during the "operational emergency" could result in dismissal.

A quick Google search reveals that an Aircraft Mechanic at Southwest Airlines can expect to make an average total pay of $93,972 a year. Not sure how accurate that is.

Southwest declares operations 'emergency' amid labor dispute with mechanics

Last edited:

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Their last contract set the workers up with "industry leading" pay.

Now that time has passed they are closer to "industry average" pay.

Union labor disputes always fascinate me.

HEATH VON DOOM

Remember the 5th of November
Oct 21, 2015
Not from my experience. When I was looking at jobs at LAX and Cali airports they were more 45-55k iirc. That was about 6 years back tho so maybe it's changed but that's drastic.
Midgets get half the pay because they are half the person. Its in the contract.

HEATH VON DOOM

Oct 21, 2015
Did they have anything like that in your contract at McDonald's?
Thats the best you got? Even John has better comebacks than that.

But to answer your questionMcDonalds cant hire midgets because they present a trip hazard for the normal people.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Not from my experience. When I was looking at jobs at LAX and Cali airports they were more 45-55k iirc. That was about 6 years back tho so maybe it's changed but that's drastic.
I would have thought 55-60k as well.
This is an average though, so who knows what all they are including.

HEATH VON DOOM

Oct 21, 2015
Correct.
The market outpaced their contract terms. Or so I gather from the articles I read.
So the workers signed what they thought was a great contract and now that they see the company schooled them they want a different one? Whats the point of contracts then?

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
I would have thought 55-60k as well.
This is an average though, so who knows what all they are including.
55-60 is high. I was filling out a job application and they asked for expected salary and a co-worker of mine said he put 55 when he applied and he has 20+ years more experience than me

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
So the workers signed what they thought was a great contract and now that they see the company schooled them they want a different one? Whats the point of contracts then?
When they signed the contract they "locked in" a rate that was well above the industry standard. Going off memory here - but I think I read that was in 2012.

Since then, other airlines have made incremental increases and have worked their way up to the rate that Southwest locked in back in 2012. Thus, Southwest employees are no longer among the highest paid in the industry, but one could argue that their rates were front-loaded towards the beginning of the contract so they still came out ahead over the 6 year period.

There also appears to be some consternation with Southwest management farming out some of the mechanical work. Not sure if that is a time sensitive issue, a cheaper option or just testing the waters on kicking their union to the curb.

M

member 1013

I thought they made more than that

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
I know an airline mechanic
says it is shocking how sketchy some of the "maintenance" is

Is surprised there isn't more shit falling from the sky

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
I know an airline mechanic
says it is shocking how sketchy some of the "maintenance" is

Is surprised there isn't more shit falling from the sky
I would think this would be a zero tolerance field. It's not like driving a car with a bad throttle or something.

"Hmm. Thought that ball bearing would have been good for another trip or two." Meanwhile a 747 takes a 30,000 foot nosedive.

Yes, ball bearing is a Fletch reference.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
I would think this would be a zero tolerance field. It's not like driving a car with a bad throttle or something.

"Hmm. Thought that ball bearing would have been good for another trip or two." Meanwhile a 747 takes a 30,000 foot nosedive.

Yes, ball bearing is a Fletch reference.

I would hope so...but he said that sometimes he can tell previous Maint checks were not up to snuff.
some Humans are lazy selfish creatures

HEATH VON DOOM

Oct 21, 2015
When they signed the contract they "locked in" a rate that was well above the industry standard. Going off memory here - but I think I read that was in 2012.

Since then, other airlines have made incremental increases and have worked their way up to the rate that Southwest locked in back in 2012. Thus, Southwest employees are no longer among the highest paid in the industry, but one could argue that their rates were front-loaded towards the beginning of the contract so they still came out ahead over the 6 year period.

There also appears to be some consternation with Southwest management farming out some of the mechanical work. Not sure if that is a time sensitive issue, a cheaper option or just testing the waters on kicking their union to the curb.
But they have a contract that they agreed to and signed. I dont care if its 2 years or 20 they still agreed to it. They should look at their union leadership if they dont like the contract they agreed to.