Spike TV Launching 'Fighters First' Campaign For Bellator MMA, Combat Sports

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015

In combat sports, fighters too often take a backseat to the companies and promoters they are under contract with. To help bridge that gap, Spike TV — the home of Bellator MMA, Bellator Kickboxing and Premier Boxing Champions — are embarking on a marketing campaign with the sole purpose of putting “Fighters First.”

“It’s not about the promoter, it’s not about the network … it’s really about the athletes and how they get recognized,” said Spike TV President Kevin Kay. “The most important thing is figuring out a way to platform these guys and give them a real opportunity to build their brand.”

The initiative, which officially kicks off on Friday night when Adrien Broner defends his WBA super lightweight title in a PBC event in Washington, D.C., will help fighters monetize their brands through increased exposure on multiple platforms. Namely, shoulder programming specials and digital features that let fans see a side of them that gets overlooked.

Exclusive Look: Spike TV Launching 'Fighters First' Campaign For Bellator MMA, Combat Sports

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Bellator and Spike are making the right moves. And it's pretty obvious these moves are intended to encourage free agents to explore their options. The next couple of years could be really entertaining.

TheEmperorRises

Right click hospital, left click cemetery
Dec 4, 2015
Bellator and Spike are making the right moves. And it's pretty obvious these moves are intended to encourage free agents to explore their options. The next couple of years could be really entertaining.
It seems like they're logically looking at what's worked in the past (PrideFC styled entrances) what isn't working now (Reebok) and what could work for the future (co-promoted shows, not fucking the fighters over and pretending like you didn't when it's plain to see that you did).

Clappin'Daddys

Posting Machine
Sep 9, 2015
I don't believe for a second that any company would actually put anyone before profits, but they see this opportunity and they are running with it.

They see how bad the UFC fucked their fighters with the sponsor tax then the reebok deal. They are basically trying to convince a lot of mma fighters to test the waters. I sure do hope that bellator backs up this big talk, they better have the dough if and when a lot of these fighters hit free agency.

Last edited:

regular john

Muay Thai World Champion
May 21, 2015
very cool.

it's obviously a front, but I love that they at least pretend to care about their fighters.

UFC just fucks you and shoves it in your face. I like my politicians to pretend at least.

Carbazel

Freelance MMA Analyst
Aug 8, 2015
I don't believe for a second that that any company would actually put anyone before profits, but they see this opportunity and they are running with it.

They see how bad the UFC fucked their fighters with the sponsor tax then the reebok deal. They are basically trying to convince a lot of mma fighters to test the waters. I sure do hope that bellator backs up this big talk, they better have the dough if and when a lot of these fighters hit free agency.
They have the money. Viacom owns them and Spike and Fertitta has even said that Bellator has more money than them in the past. I think someone put the quote up here from him not that long ago.

GSPTrainingInAPool

Man on the silver mountain
Dec 1, 2015
Another good move from Spike!! This is definitely aimed at free agents fed up with the UFC being money first fighters last. The response from fighters should be positive. This is only to promote Bellator fighters right? Doubt any UFC guys would be featured but maybe ONE or Glory?

canofsticks

I'm just here for the rumham
Aug 4, 2015
I don't believe for a second that that any company would actually put anyone before profits, but they see this opportunity and they are running with it.

It's a little more nuanced that that. If Bellator can promote their fighters in such a way that their brands grow, then that means more people recognize the fighters => more eye balls on their events => more money from ads/tickets/sponsors => more sponsorship money for fighters => less likely to leave for the UFC (read: Reebok) => Bellator becomes bigger and better.

The idea is simple. Help turn your fighters into popular brands and that'll in turn make you a bigger brand.

Andrewsimar Palhardass

Women, dinosaurs, and the violence of the octagon.
Jan 8, 2016
Look, I think it is great that there is a fighters first trend at all, so I like that this is happening.

With that said, let's not pretend that we don't all know exactly what this is.

Clappin'Daddys

Posting Machine
Sep 9, 2015
It's a little more nuanced that that. If Bellator can promote their fighters in such a way that their brands grow, then that means more people recognize the fighters => more eye balls on their events => more money from ads/tickets/sponsors => more sponsorship money for fighters => less likely to leave for the UFC (read: Reebok) => Bellator becomes bigger and better.

The idea is simple. Help turn your fighters into popular brands and that'll in turn make you a bigger brand.
I completely understand that; I agree with you.

My point was simple. They are making these announcements with profit in mind.

Last edited:

Clappin'Daddys

Posting Machine
Sep 9, 2015
They have the money. Viacom owns them and Spike and Fertitta has even said that Bellator has more money than them in the past. I think someone put the quote up here from him not that long ago.
We know that bellator, with the help of Viacom, is capable of big big signings. What I was getting at is.. Just how big of a check is Viacom going to hand bellator. Bellator sure as hell doesn't have access to the 40B Viacom is worth.

That being said, I'm confident that bellator will do big things in the coming years. There is a ton of money to he made in mma, and Viacom wants a piece of the pie.

With this recent anouncement, I am even more confident that bellator is in it for the long haul. I can't wait to see how this goes down. I'm curious to see who tests the waters in the future.

SuperPig

Enjoy yourselves
Aug 7, 2015
Hell yeah! Fighter's First! And to showcase that commitment, let's put the inaugural women's featherweight title fight between Marloes Coenen and Julia Budd on un-aired prelims!

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
Viacom aren't going to spend loads of money on Bellator with no projected returns. Bellator work on a budget and have to turn a profit like any other Viacom property. Fertitta just says that they have more money to deflect criticism on pay scales.

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
Individual over brand marketing is still b just marketing, but I hope it works out.

Carbazel

Freelance MMA Analyst
Aug 8, 2015
We know that bellator, with the help of Viacom, is capable of big big signings. What I was getting at is.. Just how big of a check is Viacom going to hand bellator. Bellator sure as hell doesn't have access to the 40B Viacom is worth.

That being said, I'm confident that bellator will do big things in the coming years. There is a ton of money to he made in mma, and Viacom wants a piece of the pie.

With this recent anouncement, I am even more confident that bellator is in it for the long haul. I can't wait to see how this goes down. I'm curious to see who tests the waters in the future.
I'm thinking Rory MacDonald will be the next one to do so.

Carbazel

Freelance MMA Analyst
Aug 8, 2015
Viacom aren't going to spend loads of money on Bellator with no projected returns. Bellator work on a budget and have to turn a profit like any other Viacom property. Fertitta just says that they have more money to deflect criticism on pay scales.
Probably, but he always brings them up to kind of let them know he sees them. He did it most recently on the press conference call for the ban being lifted in NY.

Qat

QoQ
Nov 3, 2015
Probably, but he always brings them up to kind of let them know he sees them. He did it most recently on the press conference call for the ban being lifted in NY.
Sure he does, but its as Zeph says. Viacom has not become such a behemoth by giving out handouts, and they won't start now.