Sponsorships, title shot drew Benson Henderson to Bellator

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

Henderson said there were multiple reasons for signing with Bellator and admitted the ability to sign in-cage sponsors played a pivotal role in his decision.

As a Bellator athlete, Henderson is able to sign sponsors independently from the promotion. The UFC does not allow its athletes to wear sponsorships into the Octagon, due to its exclusive apparel deal with Reebok.

In his most recent fight, a UFC Fight Pass main event on Nov. 28 in Korea, Henderson made $15,000 sponsorship money per the Reebok agreement. He anticipates making more than that per fight with Bellator.

"I won't lie, it was a very big deal," Henderson said. "The ability to get sponsors on your own and not have to rely on the amount that Reebok dictates to you was a huge factor. I'd be straight up lying if I said it wasn't a very big part of my decision to go to Bellator.

"I also want to be a trailblazer for the betterment of fighters. Bellator is open to a fighters union -- fighters binding together to see what's in our best interest. That's something you can't even breathe about elsewhere. I think it's a good thing for myself and other fighters to have that."

That said, Henderson said he left the UFC on good terms. In his announcement regarding Bellator on his personal website on Monday, he made it a point to name individuals he worked with during his time with the company. In an interview with MMAJunkie.com, UFC president Dana White referred to Henderson as a "great guy" and said he signed the "right deal for him."

"[UFC CEO] Lorenzo Fertitta called me himself. So did [UFC president] Dana White," Henderson said. "I was able to speak to them. They were both super understanding. There is no animosity there. I have no ill will towards anyone at the UFC, so I thought everything worked out well."

LINK: Sponsorships, title shot drew Benson Henderson to Bellator

ECC170

Monster's 11,ATM 2,Parlay Challenge,Hero GP Champ
Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
good for him..Now Bellator needs Gaethje..this could get GOOD

Ministry of Silly Walks

came in like a wrecking ball
First 100
Amateur Fighter
Jan 15, 2015
i think this was more of an "oh shit" moment for zuffa. do you think they'd cut him down, with this suit ongoing? it wouldn't help their case, and dana still tried to shank the fucker.

Clappin'Daddys

Posting Machine
Sep 9, 2015
Not surprising, sponsorships were big money for some fighters.

That being said, Cokers first event for this year didn't do to hot around 565k. He will have to do things to build momentum.

C

Ceiling Fan

Something I remember specifically about a fighter leaving the UFC (or rather, not signing a new contract with them) was Josh Thomson's situation.

Keep in mind while reading this, this is disclosed money only, because obviously we have no way to measure undisclosed pay.

He made 5k from Reebok and 85k to show with no win bonus. (source: UFC San Diego salaries: Mir is top earner, Duffee only nets $12,000 following KO loss) Obviously, that totals 90k, which then can be directly compared to his next fight which was in Bellator.

In Bellator, Thomson was paid 10k show with no win bonus (source: Bellator Dynamite 1 salaries: Tito Ortiz cashes $300,000 in defeat) and for sponsors he made 35k (source: Thomson made $35,000 in sponsors for Bellator 142, 7 times more than Reebok deal). So in a win against Josh Bronzoulis at Bellator Dynamite 1, he made a total of 45k. That dollar amount is half what he made in his last fight in the UFC, and while yes, he is paid more in by sponsors (seven times more than Reebok), he made substantially less overall.

There wasn't any sponsor information on his next fight at Bellator 147 against Pablo Villaseca (Thomson again made 10k show money, no win bonus, source: Bellator 147 Fighter Salaries, Attendance & Gate - MMA Manifesto) but it seems unlikely that he would drastically improve that amount from fight to fight. It's not like winning a Bellator fight will improve his stock any more than his already-recognized name from being a ex-SF champ and UFC vet. Also, we would have heard him bragging about it more if he had gained more sponsors, considering he couldn't wait to tell the media how good his new sponsor situation was in relation to Reebok.

TLDR: Sponsorships are good, and they'll pay better than Reebok's current arrangement will, but the Bellator purses are considerably smaller than UFC for mid-to-high level guys and vets. The exposure for Bellator is FAR less than the UFC, so sponsors may be lined up to get on MMA, they are very aware that Bellator's audience is significantly less than the UFC. The trick is to get a fight on the big Bellator tentpole cards in hopes that a bidding war for sponsorships will crop up, but who knows if that will make a difference.

Shy Guy

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right...
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Something I remember specifically about a fighter leaving the UFC (or rather, not signing a new contract with them) was Josh Thomson's situation.

Keep in mind while reading this, this is disclosed money only, because obviously we have no way to measure undisclosed pay.

He made 5k from Reebok and 85k to show with no win bonus. (source: UFC San Diego salaries: Mir is top earner, Duffee only nets $12,000 following KO loss) Obviously, that totals 90k, which then can be directly compared to his next fight which was in Bellator.

In Bellator, Thomson was paid 10k show with no win bonus (source: Bellator Dynamite 1 salaries: Tito Ortiz cashes $300,000 in defeat) and for sponsors he made 35k (source: Thomson made $35,000 in sponsors for Bellator 142, 7 times more than Reebok deal). So in a win against Josh Bronzoulis at Bellator Dynamite 1, he made a total of 45k. That dollar amount is half what he made in his y sponsors (seven times more than Reebok), he made substantially less overall.

There wasn't any sponsor information on his next fight at Bellator 147 against Pablo Villaseca (Thomson again made 10k show money, no win bonus, source: Bellator 147 Fighter Salaries, Attendance & Gate - MMA Manifesto) but it seems unlikely that he would drastically improve that amount from fight to fight.
C'mon..we all know Josh Thompson isn't making 10k per fight so let's not speculate on how much "less" he is making at Bellator.

TheFifthScallop

Who am I kidding? I’m a whore.
Amateur Fighter
Nov 15, 2015
Not surprising, sponsorships were big money for some fighters.

That being said, Cokers first event for this year didn't do to hot around 565k. He will have to do things to build momentum.
Signing people like Benson is a great start to build that momentum.

TheAwkwardTitan

IQ = 209
Jan 30, 2016
I look forward to Benson's debut. He's one of my favorite fighters to watch. Even if he hadn't said that the reebok deal was a heavy factor in his move, it was pretty obvious.

Last edited:

TheFifthScallop

Who am I kidding? I’m a whore.
Amateur Fighter
Nov 15, 2015
Has it been made clear if he's going to fight at lightweight or welterweight?

TheAwkwardTitan

IQ = 209
Jan 30, 2016
Plus I guarantee the Gracie vs Shamrock card does good numbers.
It won't be so great for Bellator when one of them drops dead in the cage. These guys are so old it'd probably be due to natural causes. Yeah, yeah, i'm exaggerating, but they couldn't be any further out of their prime...

delightone

Insert Crown here
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I'm glad that so "name" fighters are testing the waters.
I would love to see bellator grow in to big org. and fighters having a alternative to the ufc.
It's a win/win for more great shows.

Ghost Bro

Wololo ~Leave no turn unstoned
Nov 13, 2015

In Bellator, Thomson was paid 10k show with no win bonus (source: Bellator Dynamite 1 salaries: Tito Ortiz cashes $300,000 in defeat) and for sponsors he made 35k (source: Thomson made $35,000 in sponsors for Bellator 142, 7 times more than Reebok deal). So in a win against Josh Bronzoulis at Bellator Dynamite 1, he made a total of 45k. That dollar amount is half what he made in his last fight in the UFC, and while yes, he is paid more in by sponsors (seven times more than Reebok), he made substantially less overall.

There wasn't any sponsor information on his next fight at Bellator 147 against Pablo Villaseca (Thomson again made 10k show money, no win bonus, source: Bellator 147 Fighter Salaries, Attendance & Gate - MMA Manifesto) but it seems unlikely that he would drastically improve that amount from fight to fight. It's not like winning a Bellator fight will improve his stock any more than his already-recognized name from being a ex-SF champ and UFC vet. Also, we would have heard him bragging about it more if he had gained more sponsors, considering he couldn't wait to tell the media how good his new sponsor situation was in relation to Reebok.

TLDR: Sponsorships are good, and they'll pay better than Reebok's current arrangement will, but the Bellator purses are considerably smaller than UFC for mid-to-high level guys and vets. The exposure for Bellator is FAR less than the UFC, so sponsors may be lined up to get on MMA, they are very aware that Bellator's audience is significantly less than the UFC. The trick is to get a fight on the big Bellator tentpole cards in hopes that a bidding war for sponsorships will crop up, but who knows if that will make a difference.
I get what you're saying but don't you think Smoove got the Tito treatment?