Sports Sports upset of a generation?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Perhaps.
NCAA #1 Duke has fallen, at home, to a non-conference team for the first time in nearly 20 years, spanning 150 games and before the twin towers fell.

Duke stunned at home by Stephen F. Austin, loses 85-83

Stephen F. Austin players celebrate the team's 85-83 overtime win over Duke in an NCAA college basketball game in Durham, N.C.

Duke, the No. 1 college basketball team in the country, was stunned Tuesday by Stephen F. Austin, losing in dramatic fashion in overtime.

View: https://www.instagram.com/p/B5Wxm0RBWkI/?igshid=9tbvxlk6t17u

ESPN called the win the sport’s biggest Division I upset win in 15 years, and pointed out that the Blue Devils were favored by 27.5 points. It was the school’s first nonconference loss at their home court since 2000. Duke, at one point, held a 15-point lead.

Duke had the ball in the closing seconds of overtime, but Tre Jones missed a jumper with about 15 seconds left and Wendell Moore rebounded it. Hounded by the Lumberjacks’ high-pressure defense, Hurt threw the ball away in a scramble with about 3 seconds left and it went to Nathan Bain — who went the length of the floor for a buzzer-beating layup. The Lumberjacks won 85-83.

“I told our players, ‘Banners can’t beat us tonight,’” Stephen F. Austin coach Kyle Keller said. “The players have to beat us.”

sparkuri

First 100
Jan 16, 2015
The Nuggetts beating the Super Sonics in 94 NBA playoffs. 1 vs 8 seed.
Don't forget the gawtdamn Yankees in 2001 beating the Major league win record-holding Seattle Mariners in 5 games best of 7.
Apparently 116 wins & home field advantage wasn't enough confidence to take the series to 6 games, or 7, or God forbid a World Series bid or Championship.

FINGERS

TMMAC Addict
Nov 14, 2019
Rocky Balboa is a struggling boxer trying to make the big time, working as a debt collector for a pittance. When heavyweight champion Apollo Creed visits Philadelphia, his managers want to set up an exhibition match between Creed and a struggling boxer, touting the fight as a chance for a "nobody" to become a "somebody". The match is supposed to be easily won by Creed, but someone forgot to tell Rocky, who sees this as his only shot at the big time.

Jan 21, 2015
Rocky Balboa is a struggling boxer trying to make the big time, working as a debt collector for a pittance. When heavyweight champion Apollo Creed visits Philadelphia, his managers want to set up an exhibition match between Creed and a struggling boxer, touting the fight as a chance for a "nobody" to become a "somebody". The match is supposed to be easily won by Creed, but someone forgot to tell Rocky, who sees this as his only shot at the big time.
rocky lost that fight.

Brazil vs Germany World Cup comes to mind for spectacular upsets. Brazilians were crying ffs lol

tang

top korean roofer
Oct 21, 2015
same here.

2007, 8th seed Warriors beating the #1 Dallas Mavericks in the playoffs. Also a big deal because Mavericks had their franchise best year by going 67 - 15

Big Dummy

Cream of the Crop
Dec 15, 2018
Yo Duke! Austin 3:16 just said I whooped your ass, and that’s the bottom line cuz Stone Cold said so!

NotBanjaxo

Formerly someone other than Banjaxo
Nov 16, 2019
Leicester City winning the English Premier League.

A great team can have an off game, and a mediocre team can have a great game, when both happen at once an upset can happen.

Leicester City had great games for an entire fucking season, something that's never happened before and in all likelihood will never happen again. Before that season started you could get odds of 5,000 to 1 against them winning the title. I'm guessing that none of the single game upsets mentioned elsewhere in this thread would have similar odds offered!

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Leicester City winning the English Premier League.

A great team can have an off game, and a mediocre team can have a great game, when both happen at once an upset can happen.

Leicester City had great games for an entire fucking season, something that's never happened before and in all likelihood will never happen again. Before that season started you could get odds of 5,000 to 1 against them winning the title. I'm guessing that none of the single game upsets mentioned elsewhere in this thread would have similar odds offered!
Good call. That was crazy. They are doing alright this year too

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
the toronto maple leafs beating the canadiens in 1967 to win the stanley cup and never making it past the second round ever again

Enock-O-Lypse Now!

Underneath Denver International Airport
Jun 19, 2016

Don’t forget the 95-96 season when the Chicago Bulls had Jordan,Pippen,Rodman and put up their record setting season of 72-10, that year the Chicago Bulls with a record of 41-3 at the time went into Denver to play the Denver Nuggets at the old McNicols Sports Area (same place UFC 1 was held.) The Nuggets were 18-26 a team well below .500.

But on that night February 4th 1996 the Denver Nuggets shocked the Bulls and the World by upsetting what some consider the greatest NBA team ever 105-99....and it was mostly due to a guy called Muhammad Abdul-Rauf (Formerly Chris Jackson) ....

sparkuri

First 100
Jan 16, 2015

Don’t forget the 95-96 season when the Chicago Bulls had Jordan,Pippen,Rodman and put up their record setting season of 72-10, that year the Chicago Bulls with a record of 41-3 at the time went into Denver to play the Denver Nuggets at the old McNicols Sports Area (same place UFC 1 was held.) The Nuggets were 18-26 a team well below .500.

But on that night February 4th 1996 the Denver Nuggets shocked the Bulls and the World by upsetting what some consider the greatest NBA team ever 105-99....and it was mostly due to a guy called Muhammad Abdul-Rauf (Formerly Chris Jackson) ....

The Sonics could've beat the Bulls for the title, another terrible example of officiating determining games.
96 Sonics were the most well-balanced organization of basketball I've seen to this day. George Karl wrote a defensive playbook that had garnished more turnovers off illegal defense, and 3 seconds in the lane than any team prior or after.
Traps were a thing of beauty.
High politics Seattle doesn't have their Sonics back.

View: https://youtu.be/rEtksarCqjE

Enock-O-Lypse Now!

Jun 19, 2016
96 Sonics was a legit team, I remember thinking they were one of the few teams that may be able to take out the Bulls.

The Glove and Kemp in their prime ...Payton would kick it down low to Kemp if nothing there he’d kick it out to Shrempf for the 3...

And who didn’t like watching Shawn Kemp throw down with absolute authority!

sparkuri

First 100
Jan 16, 2015
96 Sonics was a legit team, I remember thinking they were one of the few teams that may be able to take out the Bulls.

The Glove and Kemp in their prime ...Payton would kick it down low to Kemp if nothing there he’d kick it out to Shrempf for the 3...

And who didn’t like watching Shawn Kemp throw down with absolute authority!

Don't forget "Big Smooth" Sam Perkins, who at the time set a record for 3-pointers.
And Hersey Hawkins, Nate McMillan.
Eric "pookie" Snow...
I'd never seen a basketball theme like that team; no dominant center, no dominant superstars, just a duo and mesh role players on exactly the same page.
It seemed like every pressure defensive scheme ended in a forced penalty turnover.
I could watch that entire 94, 95, 96 season over again, save those gawtdamn Denver buttnuggets.

Enock-O-Lypse Now!

Jun 19, 2016
Don't forget "Big Smooth" Sam Perkins, who at the time set a record for 3-pointers.
And Hersey Hawkins, Nate McMillan.
Eric "pookie" Snow...
I'd never seen a basketball theme like that team; no dominant center, no dominant superstars, just a duo and mesh role players on exactly the same page.
It seemed like every pressure defensive scheme ended in a forced penalty turnover.
I could watch that entire 94, 95, 96 season over again, save those gawtdamn Denver buttnuggets.
Perkins was smooth - a big man who could drill a 3 with ease, Perkins - McMillan and Snow all played big rolls as well - like you mentioned they were very well rounded / balanced.