Society States with looser gun restrictions have higher number of homicides, suicides: study

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Freeloading Rusty

Here comes Rover, sniffin’ at your ass
Jan 11, 2016
States with looser gun restrictions have higher number of homicides, suicides: study
States with more relaxed gun laws have higher rates of firearm-related homicides and suicides, according to a new study from the nonprofit advocacy organization Everytown for Gun Safety.

California, Hawaii, New York and Massachusetts were all among the eight states with the tightest gun laws and the lowest rate of gun-related deaths. California came in the number one spot for restrictive gun laws, and Hawaii and Massachusetts reported the lowest number of gun deaths.
On the other end of the spectrum, the study listed 13 states as falling significantly below the national average on both gun deaths and restrictive gun laws. Louisiana, Missouri, Wyoming and Mississippi were rated as the states with the highest rate of deaths caused by gun violence. Mississippi was rated as the top state for both the weakest gun laws and the highest death rate.

Gun Safety Policies Save Lives
We compared gun policy across the country, scoring every state on the strength of its gun laws and comparing it with its rate of gun violence. In states where elected officials have taken action to pass gun safety laws, fewer people die by gun violence. Choose a state to see how it stacks up on 50 key policies, or explore a policy to see how much of the country has adopted it....

Last edited:

HEATH VON DOOM

Remember the 5th of November
Oct 21, 2015
Missouri is pretty safe if you stay out of the democrat controlled zones.

I wonder why there was no mention of Illinois being safe

Freeloading Rusty

Here comes Rover, sniffin’ at your ass
Jan 11, 2016
I see what’s going on, your link is showing you 2005 data.

Lots has changed since the large jump in homicide rates that started a couple years ago under the Trump administration.

More recent homicide levels have Maryland in 8th place.
A total of 21,570 murders were committed nationwide in 2020, up nearly 30% from the previous year -- the largest annual increase on record.
There were a total of 553 murders in Maryland in 2020, or 9.1 for every 100,000 people -- the eighth highest murder rate among states. For comparison, the national homicide rate stands at 6.5 per 100,000.

8002605B-F062-4125-A5C6-157331E4605C.png

Shinkicker

For what it's worth
Jan 30, 2016
I see what’s going on, your link is showing you 2005 data.

Lots has changed since the large jump in homicide rates that started a couple years ago under the Trump administration.

More recent homicide levels have Maryland in 8th place.

View attachment 58234
What changed in Maryland?

Murder rate dropped from 10 to 9.

They are in top 10 strictest gun laws. And still in top 10 of highest murder rates.

So the question is, are the gun laws helping?

kaladin stormblessed

Nala fanboy
Apr 24, 2017
Why?

Lol

How tf would I know? Lol

I'm saying that the states with a low gun crime rate can still have an unusually high homicide rate. In other words, taking guns may help gun crime but may not help homicide rate.
lol sorry. i shoudlve worded better

one of the OPs original articles mentioned a scenario where 4 out of 5 guns found at homocides or something were guns bought out of state

John Lee Pettimore

Further south than you
May 18, 2021
Why?

Lol

How tf would I know? Lol

I'm saying that the states with a low gun crime rate can still have an unusually high homicide rate. In other words, taking guns may help gun crime but may not help homicide rate.
America has - by light years - the most guns per person in the developed world.

Also has - by miles - the most homicides and gun crime per person in the developed world.

There is a connection there........

??

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
Expand on this?

??
Chicago has the strictest gun laws of any city in America. Have for years.

They also lead the country in gun violence. Have for years.

Gun laws don't work because, as a rule, criminals don't obey the law.

T

The Big Guy

As a criminal I dont follow gun laws

I never have and neither do any of my criminal friends. We trade pistols for weed or debts. Having a gun is like having cash

John Lee Pettimore

Further south than you
May 18, 2021
Are you sure that is the truth?

Are you sure that is the truth?

You mean like how laws and punishments and preventative measures against drink driving don't work because some people still get hammered and drive home?

??