Society States with looser gun restrictions have higher number of homicides, suicides: study

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
Are you sure that is the truth?
They are among the toughest, yes. Comparing laws as "tough" is subjective, but Illinois as a state is one of the strictest on gun control, and Cook County (Chicago) has restrictions that go even further.

Are you sure that is the truth?
St Louis usually wins the per-capita prize, but for total - Chicago is the reigning champ.

You mean like how laws and punishments and preventative measures against drink driving don't work because some people still get hammered and drive home?
Restricting 2nd amendment rights only emboldens criminals because they know they probably won't be facing return fire from law-abiding citizens. As silly as it sounds, if everyone was carrying a pistol on their hip crime would go down and people would probably be a hell of a lot more polite to each other.

That said - much of Chicago's murders are gang on gang shit. It sounds like the cops are happy to have them work it out amongst themselves.

Check this out:

I'm a gun owner and I enjoy shooting them. If you gave me the ability to snap my fingers and every single gun could be taken off the streets, I'd happily do that and turn mine in. But you aren't getting the toothpaste back into the tube. It's just not happening. Law abiding citizens follow gun laws. Criminals don't.

Laws will eventually go after ammunition. Either with an outright ban or a heavy tax on powder. The empty ammo shelves you see in sporting good stores aren't because of #BareShelvesBiden - it's because people are stockpiling their ammo.

Last edited:

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
We shut our American office down there

city is fucked
It's a warzone. Every night.
I have a buddy who lives in Chicago. He says there are places you can go, and there are places that you 100% can not go.
And he hears gunfire every night. So do I - but that's drunken rednecks getting their target practice in. :)

Oct 24, 2015
To legally possess firearms or ammunition, Illinois residents must have a Firearm Owners Identification (FOID) card, which is issued by the Illinois State Police to any qualified applicant. Non-residents who may legally possess firearms in their home state are exempt from this requirement.

The state police issue licenses for the concealed carry of handguns to qualified applicants age 21 or older who pass a 16-hour training course. However, any law enforcement agency can object to an individual being granted a license "based upon a reasonable suspicion that the applicant is a danger to himself or herself or others, or a threat to public safety". Objections are considered by a Concealed Carry Licensing Review Board, which decides whether or not the license will be issued, based on "a preponderance of the evidence". Licenses issued by other states are not recognized, except for carry in a vehicle. Open carry is prohibited in most areas. When a firearm is being transported by a person without a concealed carry license, it must be unloaded and enclosed in a case, or broken down in a non-functioning state, or not immediately accessible.

For private sales, the seller must verify the buyer's FOID card, and keep a record of the sale for at least 10 years. Lost or stolen guns must be reported to the police. There is a waiting period of 72 hours to take possession after purchasing a firearm. Possession of automatic firearms, short-barreled shotguns, or suppressors is prohibited. Possession of short-barreled rifles is permitted only for those who have an ATF Curios and Relics license or are a member of a military reenactment group. The state does not restrict the sale or possession of firearms that have been defined as assault weapons, or of magazines that can hold more than a certain number of rounds of ammunition, but some local jurisdictions do restrict them.

Illinois has state preemption for certain areas of gun law, which overrides the home rule guideline in those cases. Some local governments have enacted ordinances that are more restrictive than those of the state in areas not covered by state preemption.

HEATH VON DOOM

Remember the 5th of November
Oct 21, 2015
They are among the toughest, yes. Comparing laws as "tough" is subjective, but Illinois as a state is one of the strictest on gun control, and Cook County (Chicago) has restrictions that go even further.

St Louis usually wins the per-capita prize, but for total - Chicago is the reigning champ.

Restricting 2nd amendment rights only emboldens criminals because they know they probably won't be facing return fire from law-abiding citizens. As silly as it sounds, if everyone was carrying a pistol on their hip crime would go down and people would probably be a hell of a lot more polite to each other.

That said - much of Chicago's murders are gang on gang shit. It sounds like the cops are happy to have them work it out amongst themselves.

Check this out:

I'm a gun owner and I enjoy shooting them. If you gave me the ability to snap my fingers and every single gun could be taken off the streets, I'd happily do that and turn mine in. But you aren't getting the toothpaste back into the tube. It's just not happening. Law abiding citizens follow gun laws. Criminals don't.

Laws will eventually go after ammunition. Either with an outright ban or a heavy tax on powder. The empty ammo shelves you see in sporting good stores aren't because of #BareShelvesBiden - it's because people are stockpiling their ammo.
As a Law abiding citizen from Missouri I always break the law when visiting my family in Illinois.

Hwoarang

TMMAC Addict
Oct 22, 2015
Genius insight by the researchers here
Next maybe they should research if towns with no vehicles have less car crash fatalities...

ManDingo

Your Mother’s Lover
Dec 10, 2021

Check this out:

Everyone has guns out here.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
Genius insight by the researchers here
Next maybe they should research if towns with no vehicles have less car crash fatalities...
When the debate becomes specifically about the weapon and not the act you can be sure that what follows is complete stupidity.

ManDingo

Your Mother’s Lover
Dec 10, 2021
To legally possess firearms or ammunition, Illinois residents must have a Firearm Owners Identification (FOID) card, which is issued by the Illinois State Police to any qualified applicant. Non-residents who may legally possess firearms in their home state are exempt from this requirement.

The state police issue licenses for the concealed carry of handguns to qualified applicants age 21 or older who pass a 16-hour training course. However, any law enforcement agency can object to an individual being granted a license "based upon a reasonable suspicion that the applicant is a danger to himself or herself or others, or a threat to public safety". Objections are considered by a Concealed Carry Licensing Review Board, which decides whether or not the license will be issued, based on "a preponderance of the evidence". Licenses issued by other states are not recognized, except for carry in a vehicle. Open carry is prohibited in most areas. When a firearm is being transported by a person without a concealed carry license, it must be unloaded and enclosed in a case, or broken down in a non-functioning state, or not immediately accessible.

For private sales, the seller must verify the buyer's FOID card, and keep a record of the sale for at least 10 years. Lost or stolen guns must be reported to the police. There is a waiting period of 72 hours to take possession after purchasing a firearm. Possession of automatic firearms, short-barreled shotguns, or suppressors is prohibited. Possession of short-barreled rifles is permitted only for those who have an ATF Curios and Relics license or are a member of a military reenactment group. The state does not restrict the sale or possession of firearms that have been defined as assault weapons, or of magazines that can hold more than a certain number of rounds of ammunition, but some local jurisdictions do restrict them.

Illinois has state preemption for certain areas of gun law, which overrides the home rule guideline in those cases. Some local governments have enacted ordinances that are more restrictive than those of the state in areas not covered by state preemption.
Only lames follow the law.
There’s probably more illegal gun owners than legal here lol

Freeloading Rusty

Here comes Rover, sniffin’ at your ass
Jan 11, 2016
Study: States with weaker gun laws have higher rates of firearm homicides, suicides
“What this project does, is show what we’ve been saying for years: Gun laws save lives,” said Nick Suplina, senior vice president of law and policy at Everytown for Gun Safety Support Fund. “We think this is going to be a really important tool for lawmakers, reporters and advocates that have been looking for the kind of visual tool that can make that case clearly.”

To compile its list, the group used data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, looked at each state’s rate of gun deaths in 2020 and compared those rates with 50 policies that they say are scientifically proven to be effective in preventing gun violence, Suplina said.

The research team then weighed the list of gun safety policies based on their efficacy, ranked each state on its implementation of those policies and compared that score with the rates of gun deaths in each state, he said.

The CDC’s data includes homicides, accidental killings and suicides committed by guns. According to the CDC, over 45,000 people in the United States were killed with a firearm in 2020 — more than half died by suicide.

The analysis put California at the top of the list for gun law strength — a composite score of 84.5 out of 100, with one of the lowest rates of gun deaths per 100,000 residents, at 8.5 out of 30 and below the national average of 13.6. Hawaii has the lowest rate of gun deaths in the country with the second strongest gun law score. It also has the lowest rate of gun ownership, with firearms in 9% of households, the data shows.

“Lawmakers in the states at the bottom can’t pretend to be ignorant about the importance of gun laws after looking at this report,” said Shannon Watts, the founder of Moms Demand Action, which has been fighting for gun safety measures since the 2012 Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting in Connecticut that killed 20 children and six educators.

Secure Storage Laws Deemed Essential To Gun Safety

Everytown designated a list of five foundational laws that have proven to be the most effective in lowering gun violence rates. These include requirements for a background check and/or permits to purchase handguns; a permit to carry concealed guns in public; the secure storage of firearms; the rejection of ‘Stand Your Ground’ laws; and the enactment of ‘extreme risk’ laws that temporarily remove a person’s access to firearms when there is evidence that they pose a serious risk to themselves or others, according to Everytown.

Last year, several conservative states — such as Texas, Iowa, Tennessee, Montana, Utah and Wyoming — passed legislation allowing some form of permit-less carry as President Joe Biden pushed forward executive actions to address gun violence following several high-profile mass shootings.

In Texas, the controversial “constitutional carry” legislation went into effect in September that allows most Texans who legally own a firearm to carry it openly in public without obtaining a permit or training.

ADVERTISEMENT

Supporters of the bill have argued that by removing the licensing requirement they are removing an “artificial barrier” to residents’ right to bear arms under the Constitution and ensuring more Texans have access to “the protection of themselves or their families” in public. But law enforcement officials and experts have expressed concerns that the open carrying of firearms makes it more difficult for police to quell violence.

“As we’ve seen gun extremism continue to rise in this country, we’ve also seen people who open carry start out at marches and rallies and then show up in elected officials’ homes, in polling places, statehouses and then on January 6th at the US Capitol,” Watts said.

According to Watts, the shooting in a Michigan high school in December that killed four students is a “textbook example” of why laws that require the secure storage of firearms are essential to gun safety.

The alleged gunman in that shooting, 15-year-old Ethan Crumbley, is accused of fatally shooting four classmates and wounding several others on November 30. His parents were charged with four counts of involuntary manslaughter in the same incident. All three have pleaded not guilty.

ADVERTISEMENT

Gun violence overall has risen during the pandemic. More than two-thirds of the country’s 40 most populous cities saw more homicides last year than in 2020, and most of them were a result of gun violence, according to a CNN analysis of police department data. For many cities, the elevated rates of homicide continued into 2021.

While experts say the reasons for the rise in homicides are varied, murders are increasingly carried out with guns. The increase in gun violence was underscored in the FBI’s 2020 Uniform Crime Report, which stated that about 77% of reported murders in 2020 were committed with a gun, up from 74% in 2019. The agency reported that the number of homicides increased by nearly 30% from 2019, the largest single-year jump the agency has recorded. There is no federal database of gun sales, but other independent surveys have found that gun sales have soared during the COVID-19 pandemic.