Steak

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Mix6APlix

The more you cry, the less I care.
Oct 20, 2015

Worked a lunch shift a few months back, and my manager told me for everyone I sold @ lunch, I would get one. He regretted it as he ended up paying out of his own pocket to cover product cost. I ate well that night.

edit: the selling is individual cuts, not the entire loin.

Kingtony87

Batman
Feb 2, 2016

Worked a lunch shift a few months back, and my manager told me for everyone I sold @ lunch, I would get one. He regretted it as he ended up paying out of his own pocket to cover product cost. I ate well that night.

edit: the selling is individual cuts, not the entire loin.
That marbling

BJTT_Kiwi

My member is more well known than yours
Jun 25, 2015
Cracked out my new weapon tonight!
Was let down by the butcher unfortunately.

New weapon:

Meat - 560gm eye

Process:

Result... looks ok, tastes meh. Bad bit of dead cow. Uninspired result from my new weapon.

Lord Vutulaki

Banned
Jan 16, 2015
Cracked out my new weapon tonight!
Was let down by the butcher unfortunately.

New weapon:

Meat - 560gm eye

Process:

Result... looks ok, tastes meh. Bad bit of dead cow. Uninspired result from my new weapon.

Time to butcher your butcher mate, still better than any of mine but ive seen better from you on this thread. Maybe getting used to the new weapon? plus that meat looks US grade

BJTT_Kiwi

Jun 25, 2015
Had a word with the butcher about his product.
He comp'd me 2x 250gm for the feedback :)
Much better result last night.

Mix6APlix

The more you cry, the less I care.
Oct 20, 2015
I'd also politely recommend getting a flat piece of cast iron. You get a better, more even char with one. JMHO.

Lord Vutulaki

Banned
Jan 16, 2015
Anyone cooked steaks using a cast iron pan on an open fire? just wondering about temp regulation

Gonna be doing this tomorrow if we dont catch any fish.

BJTT_Kiwi @BJTT_Kiwi we'll be land based fishing not far from you targeting black fish at Woolwich, 0600 start and early finish around 1000 if youre keen PM me. Guy Im going heading out with is one of Sydney's best lure fishermen but we'll be using weed under a float.

mysticmac

First 1025
Oct 18, 2015
Anyone cooked steaks using a cast iron pan on an open fire? just wondering about temp regulation

Gonna be doing this tomorrow if we dont catch any fish.

BJTT_Kiwi @BJTT_Kiwi we'll be land based fishing not far from you targeting black fish at Woolwich, 0600 start and early finish around 1000 if youre keen PM me. Guy Im going heading out with is one of Sydney's best lure fishermen but we'll be using weed under a float.
Yeah, but it depends on the thickness of the cut. I tend to cook a NY strip over medium (or a bit higher) heat, and I comes out great.

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
Got some ribeye today. Boiled a couple.

Medium rare all the way through.

Kingtony87

Batman
Feb 2, 2016

Lost me with that sous vide silliness. The middle looks tender but it appears to not have a nice sear. The fat looks like it's well done though. Perhaps the boiling?

I've gotten pretty delicious and consistant results using my cast iron. I feel I'd need to try a sous vide before committing to one at home.

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
Lost me with that sous vide silliness. The middle looks tender but it appears to not have a nice sear. The fat looks like it's well done though. Perhaps the boiling?

I've gotten pretty delicious and consistant results using my cast iron. I feel I'd need to try a sous vide before committing to one at home.
The sear was as much as I wanted. I could have put it back in the pan if I wanted. Your cast iron cannot get uniform doneness like this.

I didn't buy an expensive sous vide, I bought a thermostat for £15 on ebay and plugged in my crockpot. Here's a pic:

Kingtony87

Batman
Feb 2, 2016
The sear was as much as I wanted. I could have put it back in the pan if I wanted. Your cast iron cannot get uniform doneness like this.

I didn't buy an expensive sous vide, I bought a thermostat for £15 on ebay and plugged in my crockpot. Here's a pic:

Cooking steak in a ziplock bag sounds a touch cancerous.

BJTT_Kiwi

Jun 25, 2015
New weapon time again - Weber kettle.
Xmas present from Mrs Kiwi today :)
1kg whole scotch to christen it tonight.
Pics to follow in about 4 hours.

Lord Vutulaki

Banned
Jan 16, 2015

Please stop posting on food threads you limey pomy cunt :)

SuperPig

Enjoy yourselves
Aug 7, 2015

I'm yet to have a boiled steak but I'm pretty curious about it.
My issue is that I've had other boiled proteins and while they were technically cooked well the texture just seemed off. Almost mushy or maybe mealy. I can't describe it. But it was pretty off-putting.
I'd be super pissed if a steak turned out the same way.