Step up from IKEA

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wintermute

Putin is gay
Apr 24, 2015
I'd love to know what kind of furniture y'all ballers moved up to when you outgrew Ikea. West Elm, Crate and Barrel and DWR are all MUCH more pricey, but I like the designs... I wish there was something in between, specifically for bed frames and such.

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
I got my couch for 35 dollars on craigslist. Had to give them an extra 15 to help move it

BJTT-Sgt606

borojunior's Master at Arms
Jul 21, 2015
I got lovesac couch and a few of the sacs laying around. The shit is really nice and has a lifetime warranty. The original sides had a design flaw and they replaced them all, no questions asked, when we had an issue. They are spendy, but you get what you pay for, homey.

Feb 28, 2015
PB, West Elm, Crate & Barrel may be a step up in appearances but it's not quality made, believe me. I spent way more and got quality equal to if not worse than many of the IKEA pieces I've had. It really depends on what you need/want and the time/energy and $ you want to spend. There are a multitude of options anymore and I'm growing more partial to the more solid, well made items I've been finding at estate sales, vintage and antique shops. You'd be surprised what cool shit you can get for a really reasonable price and made 10x better than most anything is today.

ECC170

Monster's 11,ATM 2,Parlay Challenge,Hero GP Champ
Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
Wl Mart Futons are as classy as most of us get...

Wintermute

Putin is gay
Apr 24, 2015
PB, West Elm, Crate & Barrel may be a step up in appearances but it's not quality made, believe me. I spent way more and got quality equal to if not worse than many of the IKEA pieces I've had. It really depends on what you need/want and the time/energy and $ you want to spend. There are a multitude of options anymore and I'm growing more partial to the more solid, well made items I've been finding at estate sales, vintage and antique shops. You'd be surprised what cool shit you can get for a really reasonable price and made 10x better than most anything is today.
good advice, thx

IschKabibble

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Good thread. I'm in the market for a modular sofa and a bed frame. Just about to pull the trigger on some cheap IKEA stuff, but I'm open to any other suggestions.

sgotwalks

First 100
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Speaking of IKEA, some dude started stabbing people up in one of their stores today and a couple of people died. Strangely, it was in Sweden where crazy shit never happens.IKEA, you scary!

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
I got a faux leather super king bed off eBay for £220.

Picked up a mahogany wardrobe, double chest of drawers and twin bedside tables from a discount furniture warehouse that a mate works at. Still cost me around £400 but that's less than half price and its very nice.

Wintermute

Putin is gay
Apr 24, 2015
so we've checked bed, bath & beyond, macys, crate & barrel, eq3, cb2, west elm, dwr, restoration hardware and some others. most of the stuff is too expensive but google shopping, housz and wayfair are showing some possibilites...

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Couch from rooms to go is a better than my previous Ikea couch. Got an Ikea wardrobe (big $700 bastard) that I love. Ikea is so hit or miss.

Ill never user then again for a couch or bed frame.

If you DO go buy an Ikea bed, don't forget the SKORVA support beam which translates in Swedish to "go fuck yourself, why would we include all the parts????"

lookoutawhale

Mammal of the Sea
Jan 20, 2015
also agree.

Ashley's furniture or any place that carries Ashley's furniture.

also just some of the local furniture places will have some good stuff. if its locally made you can save some money on it.

Wintermute

Putin is gay
Apr 24, 2015
also agree.

Ashley's furniture or any place that carries Ashley's furniture.

also just some of the local furniture places will have some good stuff. if its locally made you can save some money on it.
So, what's the big deal about ashley's furniture, then?

SongExotic2

First 100
Jan 16, 2015
I got lovesac couch and a few of the sacs laying around. The shit is really nice and has a lifetime warranty. The original sides had a design flaw and they replaced them all, no questions asked, when we had an issue. They are spendy, but you get what you pay for, homey.
I got a luvsac too. Buddy of mine sold me 2 for 50 bucks (they were 150 each on sale on the website at the time)

SongExotic2

First 100
Jan 16, 2015
I got an Ashlee bedroom set. I hate that shit. All falling apart and cheap feeling. Cost me a pretty penny too. During my latest move I got mad where some of the bed frame wouldn't go back together properly and put some nails through it

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
It's decent stuff for the price and they normally have 0% financing which is nice. I have had zero issues with anything I've gotten from them and you can negotiate on price.

lookoutawhale

Mammal of the Sea
Jan 20, 2015
I actually just looked on the website... and it doesn't have pricing.
Are you in north america? because i think they are in US,Canada and Mexico.

I dont know if you can purchase from them online so they wont have prices. They have their dealer outlets and they also sell to other furniture stores. At those places you can ask for a catalogue and look through furniture that you like and order them. I think because they offer to so many dealers that have their own prices they don't list prices on their website. If you are in europe then their furniture will have tags that say ASHLEY'S on it.

Theres nothing super unique about Ashleys. Its just nice furniture but at a higher price than Ikea. At Ashleys everything is pre-made but you can order other items/colours/texture in the catalogue and have it shipped to the store.

Aside from Ashleys though, you should also check your local furniture stores that have items that are locally made. They usually have really good quality furniture but at a lower price since it made in-house. The local places will also show you a book of fabrics and the stains of wood. Then you can match the couch pillows and covers with the certain wood stain that you like.

Last edited: