General Stephen Hawking in a 0G environment

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

soup

Soup Chef
Jan 28, 2020

Titanomyrma, the largest ants known so far. They lived about 50 million years ago and have been long extinct. Only winged queens have been found of these massive ants, so we dont know what the workers or brood look like.

soup

Soup Chef
Jan 28, 2020

Daeodon shoshonensis was the last and largest of the ettelodonts, a group of predatory hooded mammals closely related to whales and hippos.

soup

Soup Chef
Jan 28, 2020

The Mariana snailfish. This fish has been observed at depths of 26,135ft, making it a record for fish living on the seafloor. Various anatomical, physiological, molecular and genetic adaptions help this species survive in such depths.

soup

Soup Chef
Jan 28, 2020

The Atacama Giant is a large anthropomorphic geoglyph in the Atacama Desert, Chile. It is one out of nearly 5,000 geoglyphs that have been discovered in the Atacama in the last three decades. It is the largest prehistoric representation of a human figure in the world with the height of 119 metres

soup

Soup Chef
Jan 28, 2020

That Stone Age doctor was trying to perform a procedure called trepanation, an early form of brain surgery. Believe it or not, in the Stone Age, it was incredibly common all around the world and we’ve been doing it for at least 10,000 years.

soup

Soup Chef
Jan 28, 2020

Paraceratherium orgosensis, a rhinoceros relative is the largest extinct land mammal known. It stood up to 4.8 m (15.7 ft) tall, measured over 7.4 m (24.3 ft) long, and weighed about 17 tonnes.

soup

Soup Chef
Jan 28, 2020

Scientists have cloned an endangered US animal for the first time, creating a black-footed ferret named Elizabeth Ann from the frozen cells of an ancestor in a landmark achievement that boosts conservation efforts.

soup

Soup Chef
Jan 28, 2020

Wild Bactrian Camels are the only land mammals capable of drinking saltwater without any ill effects. They can drink up to fifty-seven litres of water in one go.

soup

Soup Chef
Jan 28, 2020

Stanislaw Lem was a polish sci-fi author that was one of the few that believed that when mankind finally met intelligent alien life we would be on such different planes that we’d be unable to connect. His book Solaris is beautiful and isolating in this idea.

soup

Soup Chef
Jan 28, 2020

This is a Gorgonopsian. This species and its close relatives are thought to be the missing link between ancient reptiles and modern mammals.

soup

Soup Chef
Jan 28, 2020

This bobcat was frozen to train tracks in British Columbia, Canada It was rescued 30 minutes before a train sped by. The bobcat's hind paws froze to the tracks as it ate its prey, says the man who freed it. The story link in comments

NotBanjaxo

Formerly someone other than Banjaxo
Nov 16, 2019

Mineral deposits in Zhangye Danxia National Geological Park create a rainbow landscape.
I always get the feeling that the pics of that place tend to be oversaturated, which is a shame because I still think the different coloured rocks look cool, but after the 'shopped pics the reality can seem disappointing:

NotBanjaxo

Nov 16, 2019

This bobcat was frozen to train tracks in British Columbia, Canada It was rescued 30 minutes before a train sped by. The bobcat's hind paws froze to the tracks as it ate its prey, says the man who freed it. The story link in comments
Somewhere nearby is another, evil bobcat in a top hat and cape, laughing whilst twiddling it's waxed moustache :)

NotBanjaxo

Nov 16, 2019

Kidney stone under electron microscope.
Having passed three kidney stones in my life, I can confirm that they feel exactly as you would think from looking at this image.

The worst one was over 15 years ago now. I was at home, with strong painkillers and under instruction to drink a ton of water to flush it out. I went to the toilet and felt it begin to move, gritting my teeth as the little fucker scraped it's way down my tubes, "fuckfuckfuck come on come on get out aaaaaargh fuckfuckfuck"...

...and I ran out of piss with it literally half way down my dick.

It was horrible, the stone's jagged edges were stuck into the walls of my urethra and I had nothing left to dislodge it with. I made my way VERY gingerly back downstairs and spent the next 20-30 minutes drinking copious amounts of water until I had enough pressure to push the little fucker out!