Sterling out for months due to neck surgery; Yan says ‘laughing stock’ should be stripped of belt

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
UFC 259: Yan v Sterling

The rematch between Aljamain Sterling and Petr Yan won’t be happening anytime soon. As the newly crowned UFC bantamweight champion announced, he will be having surgery to repair a nagging neck injury that will keep him out for months.

“They told me I will heal in three months, and can start doing cardio to get myself ready,” Sterling told ESPN. “They wouldn’t want to see me take a fight until they see everything has fused in my neck correctly. Five months would be ideal, if I heal up really quick. I’m excited. The faster I heal up, the faster I can fight. We’ll find out in the next three months, and get something on schedule.”

Sterling has a herniated disc, and will have surgery on April 15 to treat his C6-C7 vertebrae. He says he will be looking to return before the end of 2021.

Yan, who was lost his belt due to disqualification, isn’t happy about hearing the delay. He called for Sterling’s title to be stripped, and the pair had a back and forth on social media.

The guy laughing stock has the belt. You fought your first Top 5 opponent and were to stupid to win, even with a fatigue advantage. I can’t wait to slap the shit outta you https://t.co/kRkuL3VK8V

— Aljamain Sterling (@funkmasterMMA) April 9, 2021
Who helps you make up these lies? You know the truth but you’re smart. Keep playing up the lies and I’ll play up the truth. I’m the champ and you are not. #BurnSlow https://t.co/5DAnz8uOiW

— Aljamain Sterling (@funkmasterMMA) April 9, 2021
Actor fought 4 months after that KO, but still “concussed” after our fight https://t.co/nY3vaZ67r7

— Petr “No Mercy” Yan (@PetrYanUFC) April 9, 2021
For his part, Sterling says he plans to be out for just around six months, and quickly dismissed any notions of having an interim belt necessary.

“I can’t see a reason for an interim title fight when Yan won the belt in July [2020], was scheduled to fight me in December, and then had to push it to March,” Sterling told ESPN. “He had enough time to heal from whatever fake injury he had. If he got that luxury, I should have the luxury of addressing an injury I’ve put off for years.”

Sterling out for months due to neck surgery; Yan says ‘laughing stock’ should be stripped of belt

Last edited:

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Chuck the belt in the bin and have a tournament ffs

RaginCajun

The Reigning Undisputed Monsters Tournament Champ
Oct 25, 2015
So funny how after people win the belt they get those "long needed" surgeries and hold up the belt.
Our sport is a fucking clown show.

Haulport

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
None of this would matter if there were no stading champs and juat yearly tourneys. All this champs fighting once a year bullshit has ruined mma...

Dick Niaz

Yearning for TMMAC days gone by
Jan 14, 2018
He backed into being the “champion.” He knows he isn’t the real champ, we know it, the rest of the division knows it. Neck injuries are no joke - he could be out a while. This division is too hot right now to kill Its momentum. I think stripping is extreme unless he will be out ~1yr but at least do an immediate interim title to keep the division moving.

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
So funny how after people win the belt they get those "long needed" surgeries and hold up the belt.
Our sport is a fucking clown show.

Not count Micheal. He won the belt, defended it. Had a super fight. And lost to a great up and comer.

Then when he retired he took his eyeball out.

Haulport

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
How dumb is Dana? Why does he continue to let this shit happen? Is having standing championship belts so important to marketing that it's ok to fuck up your product? (the answer is NO)