Stipe Miocic Deserves more Hate

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
And people fucking hated Woodley for his reign as champion. Obviously the difference in MMA fans reactions is because Tyron is black, but some of what Tyron was doing was genuinely annoying too. Stipe shouldn't be getting a free ride for being such a shit champion.
People hated Woodley because he acted like a twat and after a spectacular finish of Lawler went on to have the 3 worst defenses anyone can remember.

Sex Chicken

Exotic Dancer
Sep 8, 2015
That's 3 years of extra training for Francis. The fight experience doesn't matter so much as the extra time in the gym.

Mumbles just has to fight. My incel rage is triggered by fighter inactivity and champions holding up divisions more than anything else.

If you have a look at how Stipe got his rematch and how entitled and whiny he has been, it's almost identical to what happened with Tyron Woodley. Sat out for a year waiting for a shot they felt entitled to, whined constantly and then became inactive - except Woodley was at least initially active. Stipe whines about not getting a shot, and then turns around and fucks the guy in the same position he was in.

And people fucking hated Woodley for his reign as champion. Obviously the difference in MMA fans reactions is because Tyron is black, but some of what Tyron was doing was genuinely annoying too. Stipe shouldn't be getting a free ride for being such a shit champion.
I think the reason why Stipe doesn’t seem to get a lot of vitriol for his inactivity is because the heavyweight division is such an uninteresting mess, that there isn’t the sense that he is holding up the belt. It’s apathy.

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
Any fighter fighting more than they financially have to during this pandemic is putting a lot of people who won't be compensated at risk. UFC doesn't provide insurance or payment to families and cornermen. If fighters want to take the risk because they need to, that's their right, but if they live humbly and have a savings, now is the time to enjoy being with family and hold belts hostage. F the fairweather fans.

Sheepdog

Protecting America from excessive stool loitering
Dec 1, 2015
People hated Woodley because he acted like a twat and after a spectacular finish of Lawler went on to have the 3 worst defenses anyone can remember.
And because he is black and didn't conform to how racist white fans expect black athletes to act.

ECC170

Monster's 11,ATM 2,Parlay Challenge,Hero GP Champ
Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
I was gonna defend him then I remember Struve dog walked him... He's top 5 though if not top 3 because there's hardly been a reign in the UFC like his and that's not saying a lot with the HW belt being a hot ? for years..Fedors run is and still will be the best ever HW and doing off Primes nobody was more dangerous all around..

Prime Fedor is as a complete fighter as there has ever been and knowing he fought in the Division where one punch at every moment can end It and seeing his 10 year run plus knowing being a old man to this day his hands are faster than 99.9 percent of the HW div, he's still the Best HW EVER Bar none, ever.. Prime Fedor walks through Stipe like he did His mentor CroCops bombs and Busts his ass up.

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
I was gonna defend him then I remember Struve dog walked him... He's top 5 though if not top 3 because there's hardly been a reign in the UFC like his and that's not saying a lot with the HW belt being a hot ? for years..Fedors run is and still will be the best ever HW and doing off Primes nobody was more dangerous all around..

Prime Fedor is as a complete fighter as there has ever been and knowing he fought in the Division where one punch at every moment can end It and seeing his 10 year run plus knowing being a old man to this day his hands are faster than 99.9 percent of the HW div, he's still the Best HW EVER Bar none, ever.. Prime Fedor walks through Stipe like he did His mentor CroCops bombs and Busts his ass up.
I was at the struve fight. I waited ten months unemployed to watch the UFC in Nottingham then moved to America about 2 days later. I wasn't missing that shit. Gunnar Nelson debuted, Dan hardy fought, Brad Pickett knocked out some frog with an uppercut, it was a good old time

Haulport

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Stipe is extremely inactive and it is very disappointing. A looooooooooooooong time ago I was calling for Bellator to sign him because I felt he was the next big thing at HW. And at 38 his lack of activity is understandable but also disappointing because he won't be around much longer.

Almost his entire UFC career in three year chunks:
2018 - 2020 = 4 fights
2015 - 2017 = 5 fights
2012 - 2014 = 7 fights

He had one other UFC fight in Oct 2011 (his debut) that was only four months before his next fight. So, over the course of his 1st 3.5 years he had 8 fights. Twice the activity of his championship years, unfortunately. This is similar to other UFC champs like Jon Jones, Khabib, Conor, etc. They are for all different reasons but the UFC seems to allow their champs to sit on the bench quite a bit.

SongExotic2

First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Stipe is extremely inactive and it is very disappointing. A looooooooooooooong time ago I was calling for Bellator to sign him because I felt he was the next big thing at HW. And at 38 his lack of activity is understandable but also disappointing because he won't be around much longer.

2018 - 2020 = 4 fights
2015 - 2017 = 5 fights
2012 - 2014 = 7 fights

He had one other UFC fight in Oct 2011 (his debut) that was only four months before his next fight. So, over the course of his 1st 3.5 years he had 8 fights. Twice the activity of his championship years, unfortunately. This is similar to other UFC champs like Jon Jones, Khabib, Conor, etc. They are for all different reasons but the UFC seems to allow their champs to sit on the bench quite a bit.
Well when they are fighting for scraps, fighting more often makes sense. When they hold all the chips it makes sense to hold out for bigger paydays in the event they suffer loss or injuries. The longer they have the belt the more money rolls in. It sucks for us but I'm not gonna moan at anyone for it. Now if stipe was refusing fights against number one contenders on the regular that would be another thing. But I don't recall Dana whining about that, and I'm sure he would if that were the case.

That being said I think stipe is a B+ /A- hw. Talk of him being goat HW are daft.

Haulport

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Well when they are fighting for scraps, fighting more often makes sense. When they hold all the chips it makes sense to hold out for bigger paydays in the event they suffer loss or injuries. The longer they have the belt the more money rolls in. It sucks for us but I'm not gonna moan at anyone for it. Now if stipe was refusing fights against number one contenders on the regular that would be another thing. But I don't recall Dana whining about that, and I'm sure he would if that were the case.

That being said I think stipe is a B+ /A- hw. Talk of him being goat HW are daft.
This is one of the reasons why I believe that there should be NO standing champs in MMA. It should be yearly tourny champs so if u want to sit out and miss a season the sport moves on without you......

SongExotic2

First 100
Jan 16, 2015
This is one of the reasons why I believe that there should be NO standing champs in MMA. It should be yearly tourny champs so if u want to sit out and miss a season the sport moves on without you......
A yearly tournament sounds cool. But from the ufc perspective it's harder to stack ppv cards without title fights. Tbh it's hard for them already. Tournaments and GP style events definitely need to make a return. Not since ATM 3 has an event been so grand

Haulport

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
A yearly tournament sounds cool. But from the ufc perspective it's harder to stack ppv cards without title fights. Tbh it's hard for them already. Tournaments and GP style events definitely need to make a return. Not since ATM 3 has an event been so grand
I was about to give you a rainbow until I read, "Tbh it's hard for them already". LOL

I was thinking, "Stacked cards??? Stacked cards!?!? What is this %&^%$&$$^ thinking?!?!?!?!?"

Sheepdog

Dec 1, 2015

2018 - 2020 = 4 fights
2015 - 2017 = 5 fights
2012 - 2014 = 7 fights

Inactivity for champions is structural. It's literally built in to the fighter pay model, PPV model and fight schedule. I've never seen any UFC media member ever bring this up, which is baffling because it is staring everybody right in the face with simple maths.

In aggregate, champions can only fight a maximum of twice in 3 years. Each belt is defended roughly 1.5 times a year. I would have to find my breakdown again, but pretty sure it's 1.4 -1.6. Any active champion - like Fig's recent efforts - will be offset by an inactive one.

To get champions to be more active, the UFC would have to start doing more Fight Night championship fights, 'stack' more cards with extra title bouts or increase the number of PPVs. They've worked out that none of these things maximize profits. So the UFC doesn't 'allow' fighters to be inactive, so much as they require certain champions to be inactive.

It shouldn't be a controversial position to say 'a dude who doesn't fight should have no right to claim to be a 'champion' of anything' but the UFC has conditioned people to think that it is.

Qat

QoQ
Nov 3, 2015
Inactivity for champions is structural. It's literally built in to the fighter pay model, PPV model and fight schedule. I've never seen any UFC media member ever bring this up, which is baffling because it is staring everybody right in the face with simple maths.

In aggregate, champions can only fight a maximum of twice in 3 years. Each belt is defended roughly 1.5 times a year. I would have to find my breakdown again, but pretty sure it's 1.4 -1.6. Any active champion - like Fig's recent efforts - will be offset by an inactive one.

To get champions to be more active, the UFC would have to start doing more Fight Night championship fights, 'stack' more cards with extra title bouts or increase the number of PPVs. They've worked out that none of these things maximize profits. So the UFC doesn't 'allow' fighters to be inactive, so much as they require certain champions to be inactive.

It shouldn't be a controversial position to say 'a dude who doesn't fight should have no right to claim to be a 'champion' of anything' but the UFC has conditioned people to think that it is.
I'd find tournaments and fixated competitions much more exciting and totally agree with the sentiment that you are only champion for a brief time, and have to fight for it again.
Every normal sport does it in a similar way, even if some competitions might have a longer interval (Olympics etc), mostly it's one champion per year.

Even back in the day I cared more about who was K1 champ than who holds the WBO title.
This whole belt and interim belt thing is a shit show in theory and reality.

Haulport

First 100
Jan 17, 2015

Yup. Thus.....no standing champs. Just yearly tourney champs and qualifying fights to get you into tournys...

Sheepdog

Dec 1, 2015
I'd find tournaments and fixated competitions much more exciting and totally agree with the sentiment that you are only champion for a brief time, and have to fight for it again.
Every normal sport does it in a similar way, even if some competitions might have a longer interval (Olympics etc), mostly it's one champion per year.

Even back in the day I cared more about who was K1 champ than who holds the WBO title.
This whole belt and interim belt thing is a shit show in theory and reality.

Yup. Thus.....no standing champs. Just yearly tourney champs and qualifying fights to get you into tournys...
I like tournaments too. But most of the MMA fanbase and media has been conditioned to hate tournaments by the UFC, even though this was literally how the sport started.

And with the culture of inactivity in fighters, I don't see them willing to support a move back to tournaments. There is also the transfer of the boxing model which makes the belt system seem normal, even though it is itself a rather silly construct.

Seems to me it's a utopian solution rather than a realistic one. What we we need is for the ESPN deal to end and the fighter pay model to change to stop making belts so important.

If the promotion moves back to a revenue maximization model rather than the current cost minimization model, we'll see guys fight more regularly.

MondoIDIOT

Better than you !
Mar 20, 2020
I would just like to say that I still truly believe everything I wrote on the first page.

In fact with the recent ducking news I doubly think it now

Haulport

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
I like tournaments too. But most of the MMA fanbase and media has been conditioned to hate tournaments by the UFC, even though this was literally how the sport started.

And with the culture of inactivity in fighters, I don't see them willing to support a move back to tournaments. There is also the transfer of the boxing model which makes the belt system seem normal, even though it is itself a rather silly construct.

Seems to me it's a utopian solution rather than a realistic one. What we we need is for the ESPN deal to end and the fighter pay model to change to stop making belts so important.

If the promotion moves back to a revenue maximization model rather than the current cost minimization model, we'll see guys fight more regularly.
If one company can move everyone away from the idea of tourneys, than they can move everyone right back to them imo......