Stipe Miocic looking at December UFC return, ‘had no idea’ about Jon Jones bout

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

As far back as September of 2016, Stipe Miocic has been less than pleased with his UFC contract situation. In fact, his ire with the promotion can be traced directly to his fight with Alistair Overeem, at UFC 203 in Cleveland, OH. A home state event for the then newly-minted heavyweight champion, Miocic defeated the former Dream and Strikeforce champ via first round KO to retain his belt.

And pocketed $200,000 less than the contender for his trouble.

“You’re making money off me in my hometown, and you’re giving the man that’s a challenger who’s never won the title in the UFC, you’re giving him more money?” Miocic told MMA Fighting back in January. “It definitely should…

Miocic on Jon Jones bout idea: ‘I would have fought him’

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I agree with his thinking but it's just not the reality of the spirit unfortunately. Overeem is a much bigger draw. Stipe is a great fighter but he has the personality of an oven mitt.

I remember Tim Sylvia having a gripe about a potential fight with Brock way back. Brock was going to get millions while the former champ would see 6 figures.

"I was making $100,000 [to show] and $100,000 [to win] in the UFC," said Sylvia. "I would have to win four fights in the UFC to make the $800,000 to get what I was paid [at Affliction: Banned]. I had one fight on my contract left and I wanted to fight Brock Lesnar next. They wouldn't let me do it. I wanted to get paid what he was getting paid. He was getting $300,000 and $300,000 plus PPV buys. He was making about three million dollars a fight. I was like, 'I'm the [former] f***ing heavyweight champ and this guy comes in and he's making this kind of money? He's only fought once in his career.'

"I was very bitter, very pissed off. [UFC] said they were going to have me fight Cheick Kongo over in Europe and I said I wasn't interested. I asked them to release me from my contract, they did and the next day I signed with Affliction."

Morning Report: Tim Sylvia reflects on UFC exit

BrunoMcGyver

Bruno no dey carry last
Dec 30, 2015
Stipe is a great fighter but he has the personality of an oven mitt.
I kinda disagree. I mean, he's no Mike Perry but I don't see anything in Overeem's personality that is better than Stipe.

I've said it before, Stipe could easily be marketed as the archetypical American guy (firefighter, came out from a blue collar city and became the best in his vocation) if there was a bit of faith in him.

He already showed he can fill a stadium in his hometown..Ppl are willing to see him. UFC imo needs to stop putting their eggs in three or four baskets when there are at least a dozen of them right there

Brigham

http://nbpodcast.com
Apr 26, 2015
It's all about the draw. Draw to PPV, ticket sales, etc. fighting is honestly 4th or 5th on the list of importance when it comes to money.

However in Stipe's case, I believe he has a real gripe and it sounds great that it sounds like things are moving in the right direction.

Tiiimmmaaayyy

First 100 ish
Jan 19, 2015
Stipe is a good dude and a great fighter. However, he's dead wrong in this scenario. Uberreem has done way more and deserves to be paid the headliner money. I agree Stipe should earn a bigger check, they all should. But in the grand scheme of things I think Reem has earned the bigger check of those two. We have all seen that titles don't mean shit anymore.

TheEmperorRises

Right click hospital, left click cemetery
Dec 4, 2015
Overeem is getting more because of Bellator- he KO'd JDS on the last fight of his then contract and threatened to jump ship. The UFC had to pay big to keep him. Stipe probably can't do the same since he's champion.

Andrewsimar Palhardass

Women, dinosaurs, and the violence of the octagon.
Jan 8, 2016
Let me propose something to you-

Take any UFC PPV without Overeem. If Overeem was on that card, how many more PPVs are sold?

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
The fighters won't have championship baselines until they organize. Also, the ppv model will always reify these inequalities.