Sports Store closes after Nike boycott: 'More Colin Kaepernick fans than I realized'

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

KWingJitsu

ยาเม็ดสีแดงหรือสีฟ้ายา?
Nov 15, 2015
What a moron. Shooting off his face to spite his foot.

Economic Darwinism.

Freeloading Rusty

Here comes Rover, sniffin’ at your ass
Jan 11, 2016
What a great business move... where are all the avid supporters now when the man is in need?

HEATH VON DOOM

Remember the 5th of November
Oct 21, 2015
I would never imagine a small independently owned sports store going out of business this day and age. I imagine his store was failing anyway and this was a last ditch effort to save his company.

M

member 3289

I would never imagine a small independently owned sports store going out of business this day and age. I imagine his store was failing anyway and this was a last ditch effort to save his company.
I think not carrying Nike apparel was also a factor.

One of the reasons Sports Authority went out of business was because they couldn't renegotiate their deal with Nike (or something like that).

It's not just jerseys like the store owner in the article says, but try selling athletic shoes without having any Nike products lol.

I don't buy Reebok or Adidas because they're shit and fall apart after a year.

HEATH VON DOOM

Remember the 5th of November
Oct 21, 2015
I think not carrying Nike apparel was also a factor.

One of the reasons Sports Authority went out of business was because they couldn't renegotiate their deal with Nike (or something like that).

It's not just jerseys like the store owner in the article says, but try selling athletic shoes without having any Nike products lol.

I don't buy Reebok or Adidas because they're shit and fall apart after a year.
I think having to compete with other National chains had more to do with it

Oct 24, 2015
what part of colorado is it? colorado springs,co used be a home for the actual kkk?
Yeah Co. Springs

COLORADO SPRINGS – After more than 20 years in business, Prime Time Sports Owner Stephen Martin says he can’t afford his monthly lease anymore at Chapel Hills Mall.

On Monday, staff hung 40% off signs all over the store.

“That’s definitely what brought us in for sure,” said Melissa Hansen, who came in to buy a Broncos hat.

But customers soon learned the discount came at a price, learning Prime Time would be going out of business.

“I just can’t keep the doors open anymore,” said Martin, telling News5 he made the decision to close for good on Sunday night.

It’s not the first time Martin has slashed prices like this–choosing to get rid of all Nike apparel last fall, following the company’s ad campaign with Colin Kapernick.

“Being a sports store without Nike is kind of like being a milk store without milk or a gas station without gas. How do you do it? They have a monopoly on jerseys,” said Martin.

Martin says he’s the only full service, licensed fan shop between Castle Rock and the New Mexico border. Despite having all 32 NFL team’s apparel in his store, he doesn’t have any current players’ jerseys–because of his decision to drop all Nike apparel.

He also cancelled an autograph session with Brandon Marshall at his store back in 2016, to protest Marshall’s decision to kneel during the anthem.

“As much as I hate to admit this, perhaps there are more Brandon Marshall and Colin Kaepernick supporters out there than I realized,” said Martin.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
“As much as I hate to admit this, perhaps there are more Brandon Marshall and Colin Kaepernick supporters out there than I realized,” said Martin.
Or maybe there's a lot of people who simply like Nike's product?

Most people couldn't give 2 shits about Kaepernick or his protests.

Oct 24, 2015
Or maybe there's a lot of people who simply like Nike's product?

Most people couldn't give 2 shits about Kaepernick or his protests.
Dude that's the store owners quote.
It's actually online sales. But what do I know. Good for you on your protest against his protest. Just here for the laughs.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
Dude that's the store owners quote.
It's actually online sales. But what do I know. Good for you on your protest against his protest. Just here for the laughs.
I'm aware that was his quote.
He doesn't have an account here so I had to quote you.