Strongman-style training?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Combo

Jan 22, 2017
Anyone ever incorporated this into their training? Notice any benefits/downsides to it?

I've started doing a 20 minute circuit of the following...

Tyre Flips, Sled Push, Sled Pulls (it's a makeshift one with rope on, so when I've pushed it to the end line I pull it back to the start and go again. Works great with weight on it) and sledgehammer strikes.

I do say 10 flips, 5 pushes and 5 pulls & 10-15 strikes for say 3 sets, then I'll add weight/reduce rest time etc.

Cardio, for me, HAS to be enjoyable, so I think I've found what I've been looking for with this routine as it leaves me absolutely ruined, the benefits of flipping the tire feels like a Deadlift/Squat, the push of the Sled feels like sprinting and the pulling is fun too. I'm absolutely in love with this style, I wish I had done it years ago.

So what would you say the benefits/downsides to this are?

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
Anyone ever incorporated this into their training? Notice any benefits/downsides to it?

I've started doing a 20 minute circuit of the following...

Tyre Flips, Sled Push, Sled Pulls (it's a makeshift one with rope on, so when I've pushed it to the end line I pull it back to the start and go again. Works great with weight on it) and sledgehammer strikes.

I do say 10 flips, 5 pushes and 5 pulls & 10-15 strikes for say 3 sets, then I'll add weight/reduce rest time etc.

Cardio, for me, HAS to be enjoyable, so I think I've found what I've been looking for with this routine as it leaves me absolutely ruined, the benefits of flipping the tire feels like a Deadlift/Squat, the push of the Sled feels like sprinting and the pulling is fun too. I'm absolutely in love with this style, I wish I had done it years ago.

So what would you say the benefits/downsides to this are?
If it's giving you want you want, great :) I don't measure the effectiveness of a workout by how ruined it leaves me.

Combo

Jan 22, 2017
If it's giving you want you want, great :) I don't measure the effectiveness of a workout by how ruined it leaves me.
Of course not. I'm just saying. It left me pretty ruined for how short the workout was (lots can get done in a short time with this style).

Sidenote: I do think, for me, there has to be an element of "I couldn't repeat that workout if asked to at gunpoint" when working out. Otherwise I'm just wasting time. That's just me though.

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
Of course not. I'm just saying. It left me pretty ruined for how short the workout was (lots can get done in a short time with this style).

Sidenote: I do think, for me, there has to be an element of "I couldn't repeat that workout if asked to at gunpoint" when working out. Otherwise I'm just wasting time. That's just me though.
That's the opposite of what I want. I want to achieve the result I want (HR zone or whatever) with as little fatigue as possible, so that I have quicker recovery and can train jiujitsu or do strength soon afterwards. Most Wednesdays, I'll do an hour's cardio, immediately followed by an hour's strength training, then a 2 hour BJJ class that evening.

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Combo

Jan 22, 2017
That's the opposite of what I want. I want to achieve the result I want (HR zone or whatever) with as little fatigue as possible, so that I have quicker recovery and can train jiujitsu or do strength soon afterwards. Most Wednesdays, I'll do an hour's cardio, immediately followed by an hour's strength training, then a 2 hour BJJ class that evening.

Different strokes for different folks I guess.
So FOUR HOURS consecutively = little fatigue? ;-)

I get your point. :)

Tuc Ouiner

Posting Machine
May 19, 2016
I would guess that most trainers would be ok with it as long as it's not interfering with cardio. Maybe if it was cycled in to training as an off-season anaerobic emphasis conditioning, then tapered off to a more aerobic emphasis as the fight drew closer. I think most everyone works in cycles.

Combo

Jan 22, 2017
I would guess that most trainers would be ok with it as long as it's not interfering with cardio. Maybe if it was cycled in to training as an off-season anaerobic emphasis conditioning, then tapered off to a more aerobic emphasis as the fight drew closer. I think most everyone works in cycles.
I actually use it instead of cardio.

I usually do 20 mins of cardio after weights, but now I do this instead for 20 mins. I know it's geared more towards S&C, but it's more enjoyable and I don't see how there isn't cardiovascular benefits from it.

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
I actually use it instead of cardio.

I usually do 20 mins of cardio after weights, but now I do this instead for 20 mins. I know it's geared more towards S&C, but it's more enjoyable and I don't see how there isn't cardiovascular benefits from it.
As long as your HR stays in the zone you want, then yes it's probably better than regular cardio.

Combo

Jan 22, 2017
As long as your HR stays in the zone you want, then yes it's probably better than regular cardio.
Agreed.

I get that feeling of my hr being up, a cold sharpness on my throat and my lungs bursting from sprinting doing this kind of work.

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
Agreed.

I get that feeling of my hr being up, a cold sharpness on my throat and my lungs bursting from sprinting doing this kind of work.
I think it's less about how you feel and more about the effect the workout has on your body. Adapting to the higher HR ranges whilst generating high levels of muscular force.

RedDragonUK

Posting Machine
Apr 17, 2015
Also do you need to psych yourself up for that intense workout each time, can you do it if you're a little run down or with an injury. Is it more likely you will miss workouts if you aren't 100 percent

Combo

Jan 22, 2017
Also do you need to psych yourself up for that intense workout each time, can you do it if you're a little run down or with an injury. Is it more likely you will miss workouts if you aren't 100 percent
I'm so new to it (literally haven't done it even 10 times) that I'm still enthusiastic about it.

I did do some the other day and I wasn't feeling 100%, but I still really enjoyed it. So no, I won't be missing it if I'm not 100% because I will soon be up for it once I get going. Also don't see it being that dangerous in terms of it being able to leave me injured. I flip the tyre with good form, there's no "negative"/lowering phase aspect of the rep, keg slams aren't high risk IMHO, my posture is fine on the sled pulls & pushes so there's no worry there either. It feels a lot safer than lifting weights, that I will say. But that's just me (maybe a forum expert can chime in with their view on things?).

It's just tyre flips, keg slams, sled pushes & pulls - that's literally my routine, but I play with the weight on the sled/distance I will push it/amount of flips and slams I do etc, so there's no really "psyching myself up" to it as what I'm lifting isn't geared towards a competition or anything like that. It's just a really enjoyable way to finish a session and get my conditioning up without being bored. I'm in a fat loss phase so doing this, IMHO, is going to torch calories/make a big difference to my physique AFTER doing weights.

Try it (if you've got a gym near you with the necessary equipment), you might like it being an MMA fan (I've always found MMA S&C enjoyable, and a lot of what I've mentioned gets done /has been done by fighters, hence why you may enjoy it).

Hope that helps!

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
It feels a lot safer than lifting weights, that I will say. But that's just me (maybe a forum expert can chime in with their view on things?).
I reckon you'd be the best judge for you personally. You know if something feels stressed, unbalanced or dangerous. Cheers for the info and excellent point about enjoying it. Most strength programs will work. Finding one that you'll stick to is important.

Combo

Jan 22, 2017
I reckon you'd be the best judge for you personally. You know if something feels stressed, unbalanced or dangerous. Cheers for the info and excellent point about enjoying it. Most strength programs will work. Finding one that you'll stick to is important.
True, just thought Vermonter/yourself etc would have a point of view on the up/downside of it all.

No problem, glad to be of help. :)